First-time build: Wh do I put the RAM

Hello everyone

First-time building a pc, so i would really appreciate the help :)

So I want to put 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000 on my motherboard. The memory tabel in the manual of the asrock mobo (see attached file) only shows A2 SR for 2933 Mhz. Does that mean I won't be able to get this frequency with two RAM sticks? Would I have to put them in A2 and B2 but then only get 2400 Mhz? I'm confused... Help!

CPU:    AMD RYZEN 3 2200G (AM4, 3.50GHz, Unlocked)

RAM:   Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x, 8GB, DDR4-3000, DIMM 288)

SSD:    Kingston A400 (240GB, 2.5")

Case:   BitFenix Nova (Midi Tower)

MoBo:  AsRock B450M PRO4, mATX, AM4

PSU:    be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 9 (400W)

ASRock b450m pro4 - RAM.png

Put the RAM sticks in slots A2 and B2. By default, they will run at the speed listed on the right, but you can manually change the speed to match the factory specifications of the RAM, and even overclock it if you want to.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

1 minute ago, thegreengamers said:

Put the RAM sticks in slots A2 and B2. By default, they will run at the speed listed on the right, but you can manually change the speed to match the factory specifications of the RAM, and even overclock it if you want to.

Thanks for the reply. So will I have to do this in the BIOS? And will this have any negative effects on stability or temperatures (i'm going with the stock cooler that comes with the ryzen 3)?

I'm not really planning on overclocking, as it's a budget build and I therefore take the stock cooler.

1 minute ago, Maxwell__ said:

Thanks for the reply. So will I have to do this in the BIOS? And will this have any negative effects on stability or temperatures (i'm going with the stock cooler that comes with the ryzen 3)?

I'm not really planning on overclocking, as it's a budget build and I therefore take the stock cooler.

It's recommended to change the RAM speed in the BIOS. To be honest, you likely won't notice or care about memory speed unless you're a power user. I run DDR4-2133 in my rig and I have no troubles in regards to speed or performance.

RAM overclocking does not affect your CPU temperature at all.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's recommended to change the RAM speed in the BIOS. To be honest, you likely won't notice or care about memory speed unless you're a power user. I run DDR4-2133 in my rig and I have no troubles in regards to speed or performance.

RAM overclocking does not affect your CPU temperature at all.

Thanks for your comment!

Awesome! Then I will do that. Hopefully the ASRock BIOS is not too bad.. Will have to watch a tutorial on how to do the changes.

I'm no power user, just casual gamer but I heard that the ryzen 3 performance benefits a lot from higher ram speeds. Thats why I went with the 3000.

Thanks again!

Just now, Maxwell__ said:

Thanks for your comment!

Awesome! Then I will do that. Hopefully the ASRock BIOS is not too bad.. Will have to watch a tutorial on how to do the changes.

I'm no power user, just casual gamer but I heard that the ryzen 3 performance benefits a lot from higher ram speeds. Thats why I went with the 3000.

Thanks again!

Ryzen as a whole benefits from the higher speeds. I run a Ryzen 5 1600 in my rig, it performs as well as I need it to, so I haven't had a need for it.

The Asrock BIOS isn't bad at all, it's a step up from some less modern UEFIs that I've used in the past, but it's pretty good.

Congrats on your first build :)

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

12 minutes ago, Maxwell__ said:

Yes, you will have to change RAM speeds and timing in the BIOS, or if you don't want to mess around with all that manually then you can make the RAM use a set XMP profile which will make it automatically run at the factory settings. Stability may be affected if you run it at too high of a speed, but temperatures will not be affected unless you play around with the voltages, and even then DDR4 RAM runs so cool it won't make much of a difference. As for overclocking, the stock cooler that comes with Ryzen 3's could potentially allow for a light overclock, but you should monitor your temps to see if it's worth it. I'd say anything over 80 degrees Celcius is approaching the "too hot" point, although they can survive in the 90C range. (But that definitely isn't reccomended)

5 minutes ago, Maxwell__ said:

Thanks for your comment!

Thanks again!

ASRock usually has good BIOSes; I run one of their motherboards myself and it overclocks and allows for adjustments quite well. You were right to go with 3000MHz RAM, that's around the sweet spot for Ryzen performance.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

32 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Ryzen as a whole benefits from the higher speeds. I run a Ryzen 5 1600 in my rig, it performs as well as I need it to, so I haven't had a need for it.

The Asrock BIOS isn't bad at all, it's a step up from some less modern UEFIs that I've used in the past, but it's pretty good.

Congrats on your first build :)

Thank you!!

I will get the parts probably this week, but I'm still nervous that it won't boot xD but we will see.

28 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

Yes, you will have to change RAM speeds and timing in the BIOS, or if you don't want to mess around with all that manually then you can make the RAM use a set XMP profile with will make it automatically run at the factory settings. Stability may be affected if you run it at too high of a speed, but temperatures will not be affected unless you play around with the voltages, and even then DDR4 RAM runs so cool it won't make much of a difference. As for overclocking, the stock cooler that comes with Ryzen 3's could potentially allow for a light overclock, but you should monitor your temps to see if it's worth it. I'd say anything over 80 degrees Celcius is approaching the "too hot" point, although they can survive in the 90C range. (But that definitely isn't reccomended.

ASRock usually has good BIOSes; I run one of their motherboards myself and it overclocks and allows for adjustments quite well. You were right to go with 3000MHz RAM, that's around the sweet spot for Ryzen performance.

Amazing! Thanks for the help!

Yeah I've seen a video on the XMP profiles. The issue I still have that my ram sticks do not show up in the "support" section of my mobo.. but I hope this will still work.. :/ 

I guess with the xmp profiles I should be able to put it on 2933 Mhz..