Should I get an ssd?

Karou Fox

My laptop is a Lenovo ideapad 330 17 inch with 8gb of ram. I was expecting it to be good at multitasking, being the first computer I've owned with more than 4gb of ram, but it's actually terrible at doing multiple tasks.

I pulled up task manager recently, and noticed that with just one application running, my disk usage often is near 100%. If a game or other application is installing, my laptop is basically unusable until the installation is done, which takes much longer than the download, even for a 10gb game. 

Would an ssd fix this problem? I think the hard drive speed is 5400 rpm, which is slower than any other hdd I've used.

Yes, I do think a SSD will help with your problem. It will definitely be faster at loading times and will allow you to do other tasks while downloading. If you want the best performance/energy efficiency I would recommend the Samsung Evo. However, those can get a little expensive. Overall i would recommend getting a SSD.

Yes. Get a SSD.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

Defiantly. I went from a Hard Drive to and SSD and it is night and day, especially with low RPM HDDs.  

SSD's will speed up your computer drastically, it is definitely worth it to get one.

I maintain it's the single most significant upgrade you can do, provided the other hardware is at least relevant, which it is in your case.  I strongly believe that there is no room and no excuse for a non-SSD PC in 2018 of any price range.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.