Computer stuttering

Kazunai
Go to solution Solved by Kazunai,

Looks like the ssd died. i ordered a new one. the HDD works just fine on another pc. but the ssd is broken...

Hello,

Recently my computer became to stutter and its very annoying.

Yesterday it got punched by me (rage), since then it froze and made this stuttering static noise out of the speakers and had to restart it.

after that it worked but it stutters every 5/10 seconds or so, is this a hard drive issue???

Sometimes it stops stuttering for like 10 minutes and after that it will stutter again.

It makes this lag sound when it stutters.

In the video you can see the stutter, this is in any game, any video and even on just the desktop

It is a Seagate barracuda 1TB hard drive (D) and an Kingston SSDnow 120gb.

It stutters in youtube videos games and even the cursor sometimes.

Anyone knows the problem?

Any help is appreciated! :)

with tiny shock and minirage you mean you punched the pc... or am translating that wrong?

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.

1 minute ago, Martijn Klerks said:

with tiny shock and minirage you mean you punched the pc... or am translating that wrong?

yeh i punched it.

Just now, sniper1k5 said:

yeh i punched it.

it sound like the shock might have damaged or disconnected something, you could go about checking if all compnents are still seated properly, it could also be that the hard drive head touched the platters too hard and got damaged that way.

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.

4 minutes ago, Martijn Klerks said:

it sound like the shock might have damaged or disconnected something, you could go about checking if all compnents are still seated properly, it could also be that the hard drive head touched the platters too hard and got damaged that way.

There seem to be no loose connections, im going to check both ram sticks now.

(ik ben ook nl btw)

Just now, sniper1k5 said:

There seem to be no loose connections, im going to check both ram sticks now.

(ik ben ook nl btw)

ah another dutchy nice, but i think you could definatly link the stuttering and the punch together...

but it could be alot of things why it stutters

1 minute ago, Martijn Klerks said:

ah another dutchy nice, but i think you could definatly link the stuttering and the punch together...

but it could be alot of things why it stutters

yup i think its because i punched it. still stutters with only 1 stick of ram. trying the other one now.

Just now, Zmax said:

Disconnect the HDD an see if you still have the problem. It's possible that your HDD is dying.

thats why i suggested aswell... he punched his frickin pc... seems that the read/write head might have hit the platters and damaged itself

Its not the RAM sticks, i disconnected the HDD and even THEN it was stuttering. i used integrated graphics and took the gpu out and its still stuttering.

could it be the ssd?? its where my OS is running on. but it weird cause the SSD doesn't have any mechanical parts, how can i test it if its the ssd???

i dont think it has something to do with the cpu, the cpu runs around 45 degrees celcius.

8 minutes ago, Martijn Klerks said:

thats why i suggested aswell... he punched his frickin pc... seems that the read/write head might have hit the platters and damaged itself

Yup!  That's the place I would start.  Even if it wasn't introduced with a punch that would be the first place I would check for that issue (virus, root issues etc, but yup likely he borked it

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Im going to check the SSD in another PC if it stutters i might have to get a new SSD. otherwise i don't know, maybe motherboard damage?

So i tested the SSD's in 2 different computers. both said to select a proper boot device, even if i booted of the ssd it said that, on both computers.

now i put the ssd back in my system, it booted fine and it doesn't stutter anymore.

i'll keep you guys updated.

Try putting your harddrive in another computer... you might have accidentally installed windows on your harddrive.

37 minutes ago, Martijn Klerks said:

Try putting your harddrive in another computer... you might have accidentally installed windows on your harddrive.

thisnis what the other computer says about the hard drive. i want to install windows 10 new on the SSD but now the pc keep turning on and off with no hard drives in it. it keeps getting worse.

image.jpg

Looks like the ssd died. i ordered a new one. the HDD works just fine on another pc. but the ssd is broken...

I've been having the same problem of stuttering. Even when Im just on the desktop. If I move my mouse in circles. every second or so. It lags for like .5 seconds. Haven't tried anything yet. Just looking around to see if other people are having the same problem.

Also, If I'm watching netflix or something, Everything is going fine. Then if I start moving my mouse in circles, It seems like even netflix lags just like the mouse does

1 hour ago, sniper1k5 said:

Sweet at least you know. How old was it. I have SSD that are about 5 years old, Wondering on time frame before replacing.

On 10/3/2018 at 7:13 PM, Rakso said:

I've been having the same problem of stuttering. Even when Im just on the desktop. If I move my mouse in circles. every second or so. It lags for like .5 seconds. Haven't tried anything yet. Just looking around to see if other people are having the same problem.

Also, If I'm watching netflix or something, Everything is going fine. Then if I start moving my mouse in circles, It seems like even netflix lags just like the mouse does

weird

On 10/3/2018 at 8:38 PM, Zmax said:

Sweet at least you know. How old was it. I have SSD that are about 5 years old, Wondering on time frame before replacing.

it was 3 years old. got the new ssd in now and it works great! had to install windows 10 again but i backed up my old stuff so its fine now! 

thanks to anyone for the help!