"Shadow" Gaming Service

DarkSwordsman

Shadow is apparently a new Gaming platform, similar to ShadowPlay from Nvidia, that essentially lets you play games from a Virtual Machine on their network. You can play all the games you want, but it costs $34.95 per month and you can only play games that you have purchased.

Quoting the ARI Chat Bot:

You can play any Windows 10 compatible games with Shadow!

Just sign in to your Steam, Origin, BattleNet, or other account and you'll have access to your digital library while on Shadow.

Shadow does not come with pre-installed games, but you can play games you've purchased or own.

Their Virtual Machines come with the following (from here)

- 8 dedicated threads on an Intel Xeon server

- 12 GB DDR4 RAM

- 256 GB of Storage

- Single-user high-end Nvidia graphic card

On their main page, it has a little more information about their virtual machines:

image.png.155279838c3608bc26354cbc005cb4f2.png

What I thought was interesting was their supported platforms are Windows, OSx, Linux, and Andriod, with iOS "coming soon":

image.png.9d6b5fad562ddffd3ea95b9ca19c5c97.png

They also claim the following:

Play games the way they were meant to be played. Tackle new releases with lightning fast speed in beautiful 4K.

And further down the page:

Shadow is fully compatible with Fiber, DSL, 4G, Ethernet and Wi-Fi. Starting from 15 Mb/s.

And lastly:

Your Shadow has the equivalent power of a $2,000 PC with cutting-edge technology transmitting a perfect image up to 144hz, with no visible latency.

So what are your thoughts? I think that this is definitely a great service, but I don't know if people would be willing to pay $34.95 a month. You could justify that the computer that you'd want to build would be 3-4 years of gaming on Shadow, but is the possible latency worth it? What about people that play CS:GO, DOTA 2, League, or Overwatch where timing is everything? How will it work with hardware like racing wheels and joysticks?

I guess another theoretical question: What if people want to stream on the platform? Can you do more than just game? What about the possibility of malware or viruses?

We've seen stuff like this in the past and they all pretty much disappeared or no one cared about it. Nvidia had there cloud thing a while back and that disappeared too

7 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

Nvidia had there cloud thing a while back and that disappeared too

GeForce NOW is still in beta and is still going.