Dell Inspiron 15 7577 120Hz Display Mod

Hello all! This is my first time posting on the Mod page of the forum, so go easy on me :)

Basically did the same mod they posted a few days ago on the channel. Alex casually mentions that the mod should also work on a G3 which luckily uses the same body as the G5, G7 and the Inspiron 15 7577 Gaming.

One of the main complaints by most people for the 7577 is that the display is terrible. It's a budget gaming laptop, you can probably grab an i5/GTX 1050ti variant for $600 on sale, but they really skimped out on the screen here.

475994891_PhotoOct01102953.thumb.jpg.1d6cd07c1df587ce2d9937c215f7c976.jpg

Popping the lid open was a breeze, does take a little bit of patience. I had an iFixIt spudger that really helped out a lot on the process. Just put them in between the display and bezel, I suggest starting at the bottom by the Dell logo because there aren't any clips immediately there so it's easy to get in between the display and bezel and then just move your way around the sides until you have the bezel off. After removing the bezel, you need to remove 4 screws that hold the display to the body. Removing the ribbon cable also requires patience. They used really strong tape to hold the cable intact, so take your time removing that and make sure you don't rip the ribbon cable. Once you've removed the tape, don't remove the cable yet because it's also being held by a retention clip, just slowly wiggle the retention clips off with a skinny screw driver and after that you are now able to remove the ribbon cable.

709689571_PhotoOct01103719.thumb.jpg.46ee933942b947467fbc24d74aa26287.jpg

Once you have the old panel off, just repeat the steps you just did in reverse. So attach the new panel to the ribbon cable, put back the retention clip and make sure to secure it with the tape. Put the display back on the body, align the holes on the display to the body, screw them back in and attach the bezel back to the laptop. If you don't mess up, it should take you about 10-15 minutes for the whole thing.

Honestly one of the best and easiest mods out there. Hopefully this helps out a few 7577 users that aren't too content with their stock display while gaming :) Shoutout to @AlexTheGreatish for this sick ass mod!

1288298204_PhotoOct01105117.thumb.jpg.41f1c265dcab2b94664e9447c5a3f9fd.jpg

Cheers!

@AlexTheGreatish Yeah, surprisingly enough, the brightness buttons still work. What was the model of the display you bought? Might be a slight difference where one has brightness control functionality and the other doesn't.

EDIT: I bought the N156HHE-GA1

Just now, cdominic3 said:

@AlexTheGreatish Yeah, surprisingly enough, the brightness buttons still work. What was the model of the display you bought? Might be a slight difference where one has brightness control functionality and the other doesn't

I guess there are some different ways brightness adjustment is implemented so displays from some manufactures won't play nice with others.

I realize that this may neither be directly connected, nor accurate, however I am pretty sure that some of Dell's lineups share hardware such as the monitor.

Example: Inspiron 3567, Inspiron 3576, Vostro 3568, and Vostro 3578.

I am pretty sure that they all share most of their components, so a 1080p "HDR" monitor from a Vostro 3578 should work just fine on the Inspiron 3576, as well as on the Vostro 3568 and Inspiron 3567 (may require a firmware update, though).

From what I have seen, even the motherboard layout is nearly the same across these models (barring obvious differences such as CPUs (6th, 7th, and 8th gens), GPUs (Radeon M4xx/M5xx), and chipsets (Intel series 100/200).

@AlexTheGreatish , do you think that you could get brightness to change on Linux, via "xbacklight"?

That's what I did on my sister's dechromified Acer CB11, when I could not change the brightness on it (most keyboard hotkeys do not work on it on Solus, though I did map some of them to software equivalents), now it works great (aside from there being no popup, since I still haven't checked how to map GNOME's software implementation of it).

Update: It would appear that my Lenovo IdeaPad 300-15ISK should also be pin-compatible with the OP's new screen, perhaps I should add it's EDID when I finally understand how to mod my laptop's firmware (I need to remove the WiFi card whitelist, mainly).

Edited by moriel5