Dumb Home lab question

markr54632

So, I do not have a comfortable area to set up my home networking lab. I am trying to think of a way to remote access the stack from the comfort of my office on my home network. I am using an ESP-16 mi console server via telnet to access my rack. I just run a long ethernet cable to my laptop and work on the sofa, which is not ideal.

I do have a netgear wifi bridge. If I were to connect the wifi bridge to the network, exclude the term server's address from the dhcp pool on my home router and static assign the address would I be able to access my rack anywhere in the house? Should this work?

I believe what you're talking about just extends the existing Wi-Fi signal. I'm not sure if it uses an IP at all but if it connects you to the existing Wi-Fi from the source router then yes it'll let you remote in from anywhere within the house.

Can you assign a static IP via your router DHCP settings (its generally easier than excluding it)?  Does your router have WiFi?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Can you assign a static IP via your router DHCP settings (its generally easier than excluding it)?  Does your router have WiFi?

I don't believe so. I actually need about 10 addresses excluded for random projects anyway.

The router I am using for my home network is nothing special. It's a tenda ac1900. Reliable as heck for a home router. I also have a linksys router running dd-wrt and another running lede if I need them. I mostly have these because the process was fun.