Cheaper Alternative to the IC Graphite™ Thermal Pad

A number of months ago LMG uploaded a video discussing a product that was marketed as an alternative cooling solution to traditional thermal compound. The product showed to be promising yielding temperature results that were within margin of error identical to a high-end thermal paste.

For the use in a computer application it was noticed by a user on Reddit that the price tag (currently $9.99 for 30mm x 30mm and $12.99 for 40mm x 40mm) for one of these pads exceeded what it was really worth considering alternatives within the graphite sheet market itself. They discussed a cheaper bulk alternative that could be purchased off a website called Mouser Electronics.

Noticing in the post that they didn't discuss if they actually went through and test the product or not and the fact that I personally was very interested in switching my systems over to this graphite pad material but kept neglecting to get around to doing it made me want to look into this when a number of members here on the forum brought this information to my attention (Densetsu, TopHatProductions115, & James Evens).

I went to Mouser and looked at this particular listing: Panasonic EYG-S0612ZLWF

The datasheet on the product can be found here: Datasheet

The IC Graphite™ pad has an advertised performance of 35W/mK in the Z axis and 800W/mK in the X&Y. The Panasonic bulk material according to it's datasheet is only capable of 28W/mK in the Z axis and 400W/mK in the X&Y. Although lower it is still significantly higher than any thermal paste which could overcome the lack of filling in micro cracks thermal paste traditionally does. The temperature specs are also not as extreme but for most users it's not a problem.

So I bought it and it showed up later that week and it looked like this:

IMAG0326.thumb.jpg.20c8417f118fdc83475109214a210aec.jpg.d6bc711b0ef4b57e2ed635197b75906b.jpg

60mm x 120mm.

I decided to conduct a series of experiments by seeing if using different sizes made any real impact. The tests were conducted on a non-OC'd 5960X. The cooling system was a 2x 480mm x 60mm thick radiator with Noctua NF-F12's. Temps should be ever slightly elevated because 2x R9 290X's are in the loop.

These were the results using arctic silver compound as my control:

Arctic Silver 5 99% pure silver compound: 32°C idle, 48°C max

Panasonic Graphite sheet 30mm x 30mm: 31.5°C idle, 46.5°C max

Panasonic Graphite sheet 30mm x 60mm: 31°C idle, 49°C max

Panasonic Graphite sheet 60mm x 60mm: 32°C idle, 48.5°C max

The results were identical. Not only between the thermal compound and the thermal pad but between pad sizes as well. 30mm x 30mm is as large as it needs to be for a 5960X.

After all calculated costs including tax & shipping I paid $21.04 & after making my final cut I was able to make six 30mm x 30mm squares with some off cuts left over for potentially laptop processors or other small die processors.

Which means I paid $3.51 for an identically performant product that I would have otherwise spent $10 or more on.

Not only that but with other sizes available and the ability to cut to size you could easily create a pad to cover all of a processor like TR or TR2 which could benefit when having 2 or 4 separate dies producing heat. If you have many computers you want to install graphite sheets in this is a much more cost effective solution.

Just to note

Nature of the retail thermal interface market is that it consists mostly of Chinese repacks so in regards to cost, in comparison we are continually offered from Chinese suppliers the same thermal compounds you see in the big 85 product round ups almost all come from 3 or 4 suppliers.

For example they send us a sample and we note that its same as XYZ thermal Paste on the market and they respond with "we can change color, make it thinner, thicker whatever you want, just put your own label/brand on it" .

The Cost here is only $0.10 - $0.20 per gram in bulk, people are usually not familiar with supply chain costs so comparing different supply chain costs are not really relevant. Email the manufacturer or buy it on Alibaba an they would be happy to send you 500 grams sample of your favorite paste at a bargain price.

Blister packaging,local and import taxes overhead, processing,shipping etc. probably costs 3.50-$4 USD to deliver an empty blister pack to Amazon and then add in Amazon fees that run about 40% retail margin is alot less than one would think.

So are all the paste resellers on Amazon ripping you off? Not if you apply retail supply chain costs.

Retail purchases are and have always one of convenience.

Watch the Linus video in the beginning where he takes a pad out of the package and in the space of 5 seconds he creases it down the middle with a fold and the dents it with a finger nail. Pad will still work fine, no problem but now is unsalable.

Mouser or digikey would not accept this as a return. Digkey has a restocking fee of 15% and both mouser and digikey would likely both require that you pay for UPS return shipping but product would have to be in perfect condition.

Amazon on the other hand will take returns with no questions asked, we have received returns back with the pads cut into little pieces. Customer pays for the convenience.

So whatever works for you is OK  same as paste- We sell both retail and commercial buy bulk from us and i will sell it to you at 1/2 the digikey or mouser price - just a higher point on the supply chain.

@Innovation Cooling

I am aware of how the cost to manufacture and sell can take a product from $0.10 to $10 as every step in this process from manufacturing, shipping, distributor, retailer adds cost. All the way down to the store selling it everybody wants a cut and the consumer pays for all of it in the end. However like you said that cost comes with the perk of what you might call "insurance" where if that customer has a problem with the product they can most often debate with the retailer or distributor and receive a replacement, refund, or credit in the end.

And as you said, following the process I've stated above you will most likely receive no such treatment at the luxury of a cheaper upfront cost. If you offer lower prices for bulk orders that's nice to hear but the chances are a bulk order to Innovation Cooling isn't the same as a bulk order to one individual who has a dozen or two computers they want to convert. Those are my target audience with this topic. People who have 50, 75, 100+ machines are more likely to fall under a bulk order for you. They are not my target audience.

When I post advice like this I have the expectation that those who follow it to understand what they're getting themselves into. When I ordered the sheet off Mouser, had the results not been favorable, I was fully aware that I would not receive any financial compensation had I attempted a return. Not to mention I had to cut the sheet myself which is an inconvenience albeit minor.

I have no intention of avidly advocating against your product but people should be allowed to know that there are more than one option available if they want this type of product but don't like the price for the number they want to order even if the alternative comes with risks which is a common occurrence in these types of scenarios.

• 2 months later...

I recently built a new computer (should have waited until late November), and am using the IC Graphite Thermal Pad (30mm) right now, sitting @35c at idle with a Ryzen 7 1700. I plan to put in a 40mm pad soon, and expect the temp to lower to a better level.

28 minutes ago, jdryner said:

I recently built a new computer (should have waited until late November), and am using the IC Graphite Thermal Pad (30mm) right now, sitting @35c at idle with a Ryzen 7 1700. I plan to put in a 40mm pad soon, and expect the temp to lower to a better level.

35°C is actually a pretty good idle temp. As you spread the transfer of heat further from the CPU die you'll see diminishing returns. A 30mm spread vs a 40mm spread I don't think will show you much or even any change. My tests included covering the entire heatspreader and even overhang. That vs a 30mm square showed identical results.

Unless you find yourself needing to cover a TR CPU or EPYC then 30mm is as big as it needs to be even for a 5960X.