No Compromise VR Racing Sim Build

Jon Jon

I just got tasked with gathering costs together for a no compromise VR racing sim build.

This includes costs and recommendations for a chair, pedals, wheel, etc.

I figure, if we were to pull the trigger today:

Intel Core i7-8700K

16GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Geforce GTX 1080ti

I think the PC side of this is simple, as really Intel + Nvidia are the way to go for no compromises gaming, but I would love help determining recommended peripherals and what VR platform would be best suited for the racing sims out there.

Of course, for racing sims that are not VR, he may just use his TV.

Currently, he is using a Logitech G920 on his Xbox One.

The push is not only the improved experience, but also a better community of players.

Depending on timing, a GTX 2080ti and an i7-9900 may be suitable, but we are focusing on strictly gaming and highest frame rates possible.

There is no content creation or other workstation tasks associated with this setup. It's strictly for gaming.

Thanks!

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

One day I hope to be lucky enough to get to make one of these

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Jon Jon said:

I just got tasked with gathering costs together for a no compromise VR racing sim build.

This includes costs and recommendations for a chair, pedals, wheel, etc.

I figure, if we were to pull the trigger today:

Intel Core i7-8700K

16GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Geforce GTX 1080ti

I think the PC side of this is simple, as really Intel + Nvidia are the way to go for no compromises gaming, but I would love help determining recommended peripherals and what VR platform would be best suited for the racing sims out there.

Of course, for racing sims that are not VR, he may just use his TV.

Currently, he is using a Logitech G920 on his Xbox One.

The push is not only the improved experience, but also a better community of players.

Depending on timing, a GTX 2080ti and an i7-9900 may be suitable, but we are focusing on strictly gaming and highest frame rates possible.

There is no content creation or other workstation tasks associated with this setup. It's strictly for gaming.

Thanks!

For VR as far as I can tell, (currently an Oculus rift daily user, previous HTC Vive user.) Oculus has the better optics and controllers out of the box, while the Vive has better large room tracking and upgrades as the HMD is replaceable with the Vive pro headset. 

THOUGH YOU SHOULDN'T BUY A VR HEADSET NOW. Oculus connect 5 is this week and they are announcing and possibly releasing a new heaset/controller combo.

For racing sims, it REALLY depends on cost. The seat, cage, wheel, pedals, gear select (I hate calling it a transmission since it's not in an actual car), and any external displays, really all depend on the kind of experience he wants. 

Does he want force feedback on pedals and wheel? 

Does he want adjustable seating position? 

Does he want adjustable position for gear select, pedals and wheel? 

Does he plan on using the VR headset for things other then a Racing sim? (Roomscale games with walking around in game) Or does he plan on only playing seated games? 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

26 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

For VR as far as I can tell, (currently an Oculus rift daily user, previous HTC Vive user.) Oculus has the better optics and controllers out of the box, while the Vive has better large room tracking and upgrades as the HMD is replaceable with the Vive pro headset. 

THOUGH YOU SHOULDN'T BUY A VR HEADSET NOW. Oculus connect 5 is this week and they are announcing and possibly releasing a new heaset/controller combo.

For racing sims, it REALLY depends on cost. The seat, cage, wheel, pedals, gear select (I hate calling it a transmission since it's not in an actual car), and any external displays, really all depend on the kind of experience he wants. 

Does he want force feedback on pedals and wheel? 

Does he want adjustable seating position? 

Does he want adjustable position for gear select, pedals and wheel? 

Does he plan on using the VR headset for things other then a Racing sim? (Roomscale games with walking around in game) Or does he plan on only playing seated games? 

He wants all of the above.

He's sold on the G920's force feedback.

He really wants the experience to be as close to driving a real car as possible.

As someone who has the VR itch, he may expand out and do more room scale, but really both solutions are excellent for room scale.

I think the real common denominator is racing sim support and the experience there.

This is not necessarily something that will be purchased right now. He wants to do a lot of research prior, so it may be a couple of months or so before he pulls the trigger. We just want to have all of the detail needed to make the best decision, part of the reason why we are going no compromise and will scale back depending on cost.

He does understand that a true high end racing sim setup, including the PC, can cost in the neighborhood of $5,000 or more, and he is okay with that.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Initial benchmarks suggest the RTX 2080 Ti offers noticeably better performance than the GTX 1080 Ti.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.