First build in a long time, Tear it apart.

Hello everyone, haven't had a system for awhile after having my poor old i5 4440 based desktop die from a power surge.

Looking too get back into gaming a little, with some streaming and a little minor production type work but nothing hugely intensive or near professional levels, just a hobby amount. Really this CPU is probably more than I require right now but I'm hoping not needing to update for a few years and grow into the power available.

The only things being carried over from my dead system is the SSD and the HDD's. I MAY go a large NVME M.2 drive at some point in the future. But right now this amount is around my budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($234.00 @ Shopping Express) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($55.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($134.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($255.72 @ Amazon Australia) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($619.00 @ Scorptec) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.00 @ BudgetPC) 
Power Supply: Silverstone - Strider Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.00 @ Umart) 
Monitor: AOC - Q3279VWF 31.5" 2560x1440 75Hz Monitor  ($298.00 @ Shopping Express) 

Total: $1828.70

---I have removed the SSD and HDD prices from this---

For light gaming I think you won't need that GTX 1070.... 

What you can do is change your processor with Ryzen 5 2400G...

It's Cost Effective too...

2 minutes ago, Indian_Gamer said:

And the price is 2128$ and not 1828$

I'm removing the $300 in SSD and HDDS since I already own those parts. And I want 1440p gaming, plus the GPU and CPU will be useful for my light production work.

1 minute ago, ThrustyPuss said:

I'm removing the $300 in SSD and HDDS since I already own those parts. And I want 1440p gaming, plus the GPU and CPU will be useful for my light production work.

Do you edit videos?

Yeah but not in any meaningful way. All home and hobby based work.

As high of quality as I can but by no means professional.

No other input for this build? I have put a fair amount of research into it and general thought, but outsourcing fault finding is always the best way too find out how wrong you are about something.

All looks good, except for this.

16 hours ago, ThrustyPuss said:

Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($619.00 @ Scorptec)

The Armor card is MSI's lowest variant for this model, thus the lack of backplate. 

I'd suggest picking any of these cards below as an alternative.

Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB DUKE Video Card  ($589.00 @ Umart)

Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB CERBERUS Video Card  ($599.00 @ Umart) 

Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB STRIX Video Card  ($588.00 @ Amazon Australia) 

It is actually meant to be the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X not the Armor card, must have selected the wrong one in the Part Picker list. I have looked into going the Ti variant as well since I will be running 1440p in everything and would prefer higher settings for gaming.

10 minutes ago, ThrustyPuss said:

It is actually meant to be the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X not the Armor card, must have selected the wrong one in the Part Picker list. I have looked into going the Ti variant as well since I will be running 1440p in everything and would prefer higher settings for gaming.

I see. Well the Gaming X is a good one :D

If you want to go another step higher, you can find a GTX 1080 for 639 AUD. They say that a 1070 Ti is as good as a 1080 when OCed, but there's a rumor that AIB 1070 Ti doesn't OC well at all. Furthermore, you can OC a 1080 which widens their performance gap even further.

Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card  ($639.00 @ Umart)

There is a little flexibility in budget, I was just trying to match everything parts wise in the same kind of performance "Tier", things that can be utilized by everything in a smooth way if that makes sense, good but not over the top. Based around the Ryzen 2600 as its more than what I need for now but is enough too keep me going for a few years.

I have flip flopped between the 1070, 1070Ti and 1080 the entire time, with the only bonus being the longer I cant decide the more money I have to spend on this and then the closer I am too the 1080 path...

A 1080 wont be too much for the 2600? like not being able to utilize the card correctly?

4 hours ago, ThrustyPuss said:

There is a little flexibility in budget, I was just trying to match everything parts wise in the same kind of performance "Tier", things that can be utilized by everything in a smooth way if that makes sense, good but not over the top. Based around the Ryzen 2600 as its more than what I need for now but is enough too keep me going for a few years.

I have flip flopped between the 1070, 1070Ti and 1080 the entire time, with the only bonus being the longer I cant decide the more money I have to spend on this and then the closer I am too the 1080 path...

A 1080 wont be too much for the 2600? like not being able to utilize the card correctly?

For 1440p gaming, the 2600 is a good pair for the 1080. It won't really bottleneck. Although, there's more to it than that. I can't explain the anomaly exactly, but I'll try to show it on hypothetical figures.

Hypothetical Game Result

Ryzen 5 2600 + GTX 1080 = 120 FPS @ 70% CPU Usage and 100% GPU Usage

i5 8400 + GTX 1080 = 140 FPS @ 95% CPU Usage and 100% GPU Usage

As we can see from the hypothetical result, the GPU is at 100% usage on both instances, thus concluding that there is no CPU bottleneck. However, the i5 8400 has a higher FPS result than the R5 2600. Also, the i5 has a 95% usage as against the 70% usage on the R5. My guess here is that most games tend to favor higher per core performance of a 6c/6t as against a lower per core performance of a 6c/12t. But again, both are great performers and I'd still choose the Ryzen 5 2600 for it's better performance on other tasks.

Note: Exception to this Hypothetical Game Result is Ashes of the Singularity. That game tends to favor more threads over higher per core performance.

Thanks for the detailed reply, I have noticed in some more detailed reviews on (see Gamers Nexus) they are coming to the same conclusions. And I mean there is always the "but more cores will be utilized in the future" argument but that's been around for years and is only just starting to improve now...barely.

Higher clocks are going to be the king for a long time still game side, but when you mix in streaming those higher core counts more than make up for it.

I will likely get the 1080 or maybe even towards a Vega option to take advantage of the monitors FreeSync. And they seem to do very well in the workstation based tasks. Outdoing the Nvidia options in most tasks, with only a small performance drop in games buy being able to offset that with Freesync is tempting.

1 hour ago, ThrustyPuss said:

Thanks for the detailed reply, I have noticed in some more detailed reviews on (see Gamers Nexus) they are coming to the same conclusions. And I mean there is always the "but more cores will be utilized in the future" argument but that's been around for years and is only just starting to improve now...barely.

Higher clocks are going to be the king for a long time still game side, but when you mix in streaming those higher core counts more than make up for it.

I will likely get the 1080 or maybe even towards a Vega option to take advantage of the monitors FreeSync. And they seem to do very well in the workstation based tasks. Outdoing the Nvidia options in most tasks, with only a small performance drop in games buy being able to offset that with Freesync is tempting.

Ohh, you're right. I just noticed now that you're getting a Freesync Monitor. I'd also reckon that getting a Vega for Freesync is the better choice. Vega + Freesync is better than GTX 1070 + Vsync

It wasn't a intentional choice to get Freesync, just happens that the monitor I wanted has it and obviously G-Sync monitors are WAY too expensive with the same stats as that monitor.

Pricing wise it does end up cheaper to go the Vega option even without factoring in a G-sync monitor to make it worth the time. Could get a Vega 64 and still be cheaper overall.