New PC Advice on spec

Sahl

Hi all

My 4 year old PC needs to get replaced and I have been looking over some options and would love some advice and secound opinions.

In short the build is mainly for gaming and I prefer it to be as silent as possible. I will not do video edition etc. I will not be running 4k but instead 1080p. However it would be fine to future proof for it should I get a new monitor during the lifespan of this PC. I hope to make this suffice for atleast 3 years of gaming and I am aware that it will not be running full blown very high settings at the end of its life cycle. Now onwards to the build itself.

Budget & Location  - 3800 USD - Scandianvia

Aim - Gaming PC (no video edition etc.

Monitors - I only use one a AOC G2460PG

Why are you upgrading  - Replacing the 4 year old PC.

I don't need a new M/KB

So far I have been thinking about a build like this.

Case - Fractal Design Define R6 with ( 2x 140mm front, 1x 140mm back fans)

MB - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming, Socket 1151

PSU - Corsair TX750M, 750W

CPU - Intel Core i7-8086K Limited Ed Processor Socket-LGA1151, 6-Core, 12-Thread, 4.0/5.0GHz, 95W, Coffee Lake

CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-U9S

Ram - HyperX Fury Black DDR4 3200MHz 16GB 2x8GB 3200 MHz DDR4 CL18

SSD - Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD M.2 2280, PCIe 3.0 x4, V-NAND MLC, up to 3400/2300MB/s read/write, 300TBW

HDD (Storage) -  Barracuda 2TB + Intel Optane 32GB - 7200rpm HDD accelerated by 32GB Intel Optane Memory

GPU - Either a Asus GeForce RTX 2080 ROG Strix Gaming OC or a MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

OS - Win10

I am very torn about what GPU to take. Asus one has a silent gaming feature, but the MSI is abit more silent on load in general when set to performance. I do have a budget on around 3800 USD. I don't really want a 10th generation GPU. I am abit worried about if this setup will get high temp inside the case. I don't think it will bottleneck anywhere, but again I reckon some might have a better knowledge than myself here. Sorry for any spelling mistake, English is not my native.

I look forward to your answers.

16 minutes ago, Sahl said:

CPU - Intel Core i7-8086K Limited Ed Processor Socket-LGA1151, 6-Core, 12-Thread, 4.0/5.0GHz, 95W, Coffee Lake

Its the exact same as a regular 8700k, maybe consider that one since its usually less expensive. The only benefit the 8086k has is a higher out-of-the-box frequency, but you can obviously oc an 8700k to the exact same specs.

Also I'd say maybe get a bigger cpu cooler, maybe even consider an aio water cooler, since the 8700k kicks out a lot of heat once overclocked. That NH-U9S would suffice, but it wouldn't run quiet.

Everything else is fine.

About the GPU: Don't worry about temps. Your case has reasonable airflow once you've installed those 3 140mm fans. Just get the best GPU that fits into your budget.

Welcome to LTT forums !

I suggest that you wait for they imminent i9 9900k and rtx release .

they will suit your build better.

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

15 minutes ago, black0utm1rage said:

Its the exact same as a regular 8700k, maybe consider that one since its usually less expensive. The only benefit the 8086k has is a higher out-of-the-box frequency, but you can obviously oc an 8700k to the exact same specs.

Also I'd say maybe get a bigger cpu cooler, maybe even consider an aio water cooler, since the 8700k kicks out a lot of heat once overclocked. That NH-U9S would suffice, but it wouldn't run quiet.

Everything else is fine.

About the GPU: Don't worry about temps. Your case has reasonable airflow once you've installed those 3 140mm fans. Just get the best GPU that fits into your budget.

The reason I picked the 8086 was because I've read somewhere that the 8700k had much higher temp. I have a Hydro h60 in my old build and its the loudest component in my old build, that is why I looked into normal coolers. But I guess you can never go wrong with watercooling. Will look into the one you suggest.

10 minutes ago, Void Master said:

Welcome to LTT forums !

I suggest that you wait for they imminent i9 9900k and rtx release .

they will suit your build better.

TY.

Imminent? I heard it would be all from 6-12 months. That is too much time for me. If its much closer than that, then it is another case ofc.

16 hours ago, Sahl said:

Hi all

My 4 year old PC needs to get replaced and I have been looking over some options and would love some advice and secound opinions.

In short the build is mainly for gaming and I prefer it to be as silent as possible. I will not do video edition etc. I will not be running 4k but instead 1080p. However it would be fine to future proof for it should I get a new monitor during the lifespan of this PC. I hope to make this suffice for atleast 3 years of gaming and I am aware that it will not be running full blown very high settings at the end of its life cycle. Now onwards to the build itself.

Budget & Location  - 3800 USD - Scandianvia

Aim - Gaming PC (no video edition etc.

Monitors - I only use one a AOC G2460PG

Why are you upgrading  - Replacing the 4 year old PC.

I don't need a new M/KB

So far I have been thinking about a build like this.

Case - Fractal Design Define R6 with ( 2x 140mm front, 1x 140mm back fans)

MB - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming, Socket 1151

PSU - Corsair TX750M, 750W

CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-U9S

Ram - HyperX Fury Black DDR4 3200MHz 16GB 2x8GB 3200 MHz DDR4 CL18

SSD - Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD M.2 2280, PCIe 3.0 x4, V-NAND MLC, up to 3400/2300MB/s read/write, 300TBW

HDD (Storage) -  Barracuda 2TB + Intel Optane 32GB - 7200rpm HDD accelerated by 32GB Intel Optane Memory

GPU - Either a Asus GeForce RTX 2080 ROG Strix Gaming OC or a MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

OS - Win10

I am very torn about what GPU to take. Asus one has a silent gaming feature, but the MSI is abit more silent on load in general when set to performance. I do have a budget on around 3800 USD. I don't really want a 10th generation GPU. I am abit worried about if this setup will get high temp inside the case. I don't think it will bottleneck anywhere, but again I reckon some might have a better knowledge than myself here. Sorry for any spelling mistake, English is not my native.

I look forward to your answers.

$3800 USD? That's an awful lot of money to have lying around for a gaming PC, especially one that can handle 1080P at 144 FPS at the highest settings. But, I tried my best.

CPU: i7-8700K. The 8086K is just an ever so slightly faster 8700K. Even at this price point, it would be a waste of money, especially if you're considering overclocking.

CPU Cooler: Since you chose an air cooler, I won't challenge you on that. I, however, would get the NH-D15, with your budget.

Motherboard: Any nice Z370 motherboard will do.

Memory: RAM speeds and latency aren't super important with Intel. I would recommend a 2 x 8, 3200MHz, DDR4 memory kit. Any latency, brand, or extra features is fine.

HDD: ...unless you need a lot of storage, we don't need to add one.

SSD: Here's a luxury that you can afford: a 1, or even 2, TB M.2 drive.

GPU: Money is not a concern for you, so get a 2080 TI.

Case: Any case works. Just make sure all the parts fit, and that it looks good enough to you.

PSU: Something that is at least 550W, 80+ Silver, and fully modular. If you wanted to go all out, without going insane, go for a 850W, 80+ Gold, fully modular PSU.

The i7-8086K is exactly the same silicon as the i7-8700K. In general there is no difference between thermal profiles of the two cpu.

If you want the best overclock, an i7-8086K should offer the best chance at that. On the other hand, if you don't need the absolute top an i7-8700K is going to be just fine.

The Noctua NH-U9S is not a good choice of cpu cooler. Consider instead one of NH-U12S, NH-U14S, or NH-D15. I'd suggest the NH-U14S as it offers good overclocking and should have no memory clearance issues.

Timings of the OP memory are not good. Look for DDR4-3000 CL15 or DDR4-3200 CL16.

I wouldn't bother with Optane.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 23/9/2018 at 3:24 AM, m0n4rchy said:

$3800 USD? That's an awful lot of money to have lying around for a gaming PC, especially one that can handle 1080P at 144 FPS at the highest settings. But, I tried my best.

CPU: i7-8700K. The 8086K is just an ever so slightly faster 8700K. Even at this price point, it would be a waste of money, especially if you're considering overclocking.

CPU Cooler: Since you chose an air cooler, I won't challenge you on that. I, however, would get the NH-D15, with your budget.

Motherboard: Any nice Z370 motherboard will do.

Memory: RAM speeds and latency aren't super important with Intel. I would recommend a 2 x 8, 3200MHz, DDR4 memory kit. Any latency, brand, or extra features is fine.

HDD: ...unless you need a lot of storage, we don't need to add one.

SSD: Here's a luxury that you can afford: a 1, or even 2, TB M.2 drive.

GPU: Money is not a concern for you, so get a 2080 TI.

Case: Any case works. Just make sure all the parts fit, and that it looks good enough to you.

PSU: Something that is at least 550W, 80+ Silver, and fully modular. If you wanted to go all out, without going insane, go for a 850W, 80+ Gold, fully modular PSU.

Thank you for the advice. I guess you might be right about the CPU and the HDD.. I do have alot of pictures/videos on my PC and tons of games, that is why I wanted "storage" The build is supposed to be silent and that is why I listed the cooler I did. But as someone else hinted the new intel CPU might release next month, then I might just grab one of those unless the price is getting higher.

On 23/9/2018 at 5:21 AM, brob said:

The i7-8086K is exactly the same silicon as the i7-8700K. In general there is no difference between thermal profiles of the two cpu.

If you want the best overclock, an i7-8086K should offer the best chance at that. On the other hand, if you don't need the absolute top an i7-8700K is going to be just fine.

The Noctua NH-U9S is not a good choice of cpu cooler. Consider instead one of NH-U12S, NH-U14S, or NH-D15. I'd suggest the NH-U14S as it offers good overclocking and should have no memory clearance issues.

Timings of the OP memory are not good. Look for DDR4-3000 CL15 or DDR4-3200 CL16.

I wouldn't bother with Optane.

I guess the 22 db for a NH-U12S is alright. The NH-U14S is 25 db. But maybe that is alright with a sound isolated case. I am abit sound sensitive, so when I am not gaming I would love to have the PC near silent (I know you can't get it soundless, but lower or equal to living room should be the goal)

So the 3200 CL16 are better? Will keep that in mind and look for those instead, actually I think they are cheaper. What do you suggest instead of optane? Should I go for a big SSD instead and a cheap 1tb storage for pictures etc?.

17 minutes ago, Sahl said:

I guess the 22 db for a NH-U12S is alright. The NH-U14S is 25 db. But maybe that is alright with a sound isolated case. I am abit sound sensitive, so when I am not gaming I would love to have the PC near silent (I know you can't get it soundless, but lower or equal to living room should be the goal)

So the 3200 CL16 are better? Will keep that in mind and look for those instead, actually I think they are cheaper. What do you suggest instead of optane? Should I go for a big SSD instead and a cheap 1tb storage for pictures etc?.

The noise levels are maximum values. The coolers use variable speed fans so at idle they are much quieter. While the NH-U14S can get noisier than the NH-U12S it is a better cooler due to its larger fan and fin area. So for any given cpu temperature the NH-U14S should be quieter than the NH-U12S as it can run its fan at lower rpm to achieve the same cooling.

Yes DDR4-3200 CL16 is better than same speed CL18. DDR4-3000 CL15 would also be a decent choice.

Storage configuration really depends on usage. For a gaming and general use system, I might go with a 1TB SATA III ssd as primary storage and a 2TB hdd for media. You could easily keep the 500GB 970 Evo and a 2TB hdd. Or if budget permits, go with a 1TB 970 Evo and 2TB hdd.

42 minutes ago, brob said:

The noise levels are maximum values. The coolers use variable speed fans so at idle they are much quieter. While the NH-U14S can get noisier than the NH-U12S it is a better cooler due to its larger fan and fin area. So for any given cpu temperature the NH-U14S should be quieter than the NH-U12S as it can run its fan at lower rpm to achieve the same cooling.

Yes DDR4-3200 CL16 is better than same speed CL18. DDR4-3000 CL15 would also be a decent choice.

Storage configuration really depends on usage. For a gaming and general use system, I might go with a 1TB SATA III ssd as primary storage and a 2TB hdd for media. You could easily keep the 500GB 970 Evo and a 2TB hdd. Or if budget permits, go with a 1TB 970 Evo and 2TB hdd.

I guess that makes sense with the cooler. Ty for the advice and I will look for those ram. Seems that those I can get in my area are not Kingston however, but rather Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3200MHz 32GB 2x16GB 3200MHz DDR4 CL16

Corsair is a good memory brand.

On 24/9/2018 at 8:22 PM, brob said:

Corsair is a good memory brand.

I know. I've just had Kingston for ages in the last 2 builds as well.. I also think I might want to accept that you can't have all the new stuff and instead focus on a good build that can last 4 years.. Considering my last build 4 years ago was under half the current budget and still runs games on medium settings in most cases, I guess its a matter of not going overkill as well.

I still want to see those new CPU's if they indeed come in early october. But the big question is if they do much of a difference anyway, I don't know guess I will find out when specs come.