Studio Monitor XLR connection

Dantemoulin

Hey everyone!

I am going to buy a pair of M-Audio BX5 D2 studio monitors with the M-Audio SBX10 Subwoofer and connect them to a focusrite Saffire Pro 14.

Everything will be done with XLR cables if possible.

As far as I understand you connect an XLR cable with the male side to the BX5's female input and then the female side to the SBX10's male output.

Then you connect another XLR cable with the male side to the SBX10's female input and then here comes the weird part, you connect the female side to a female output on the Pro 14? shouldn't it be a male output there?

Is there something I don't quite understand? Please help me!

Thanks in advance!

PC Specs: Case: Corsair 650D     MOBO: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z     CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k     CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i     RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz CL8    SSD: Corsair FGT120

HDD: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB     GPU: Asus GTX580 Matrix Platinum     PSU: Corsair AX850

the front xlr on the pro 14 appear to be mic inputs, not outputs
So it is not possible to connect the SBX10 with XLR?

If not, do you know of any alternative sound interface that is equal to the pro 14 which has an XLR output?

PC Specs: Case: Corsair 650D     MOBO: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z     CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k     CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i     RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz CL8    SSD: Corsair FGT120

HDD: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB     GPU: Asus GTX580 Matrix Platinum     PSU: Corsair AX850

the front xlr on the pro 14 appear to be mic inputs, not outputs

I don't do any recording, I know more about dacs than adc's, so I'm not much help there, sorry.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

To set that up you need the following; 2 TRS 1/4" cables and 2 TRS 1/4" OR XLR cables.

You go from the audio interface via the "Line Outputs" to the subwoofer L/R inputs. Set the crossover to probably 120Hz and then go out of the subwoofer into your monitors. It's that easy.

Over short runs you won't notice the difference between XLR and 1/4" TRS as there isn't really difference in any case as they're both balanced carrying 3 lines.

P.S - I work in live sound.

To set that up you need the following; 2 TRS 1/4" cables and 2 TRS 1/4" OR XLR cables.

You go from the audio interface via the "Line Outputs" to the subwoofer L/R inputs. Set the crossover to probably 120Hz and then go out of the subwoofer into your monitors. It's that easy.

Over short runs you won't notice the difference between XLR and 1/4" TRS as there isn't really difference in any case as they're both balanced carrying 3 lines.

Okay, but could I go with only TRS and not suffer any quality? Thank you very much for your answer!

P.S - That's awesome!

Yeah, you can go with just using TRS cables and no, you won't suffer any quality drop that you'll notice. One of the guys I work with, the recording box is a JoeCo and that uses TRS cables for 24 channel recording and it's fine.

Thanks, that sounds pleasing, then I will get some nicer TRS cables :)

You don't necessarily have to get new cables. Cable isn't that much different from one another; yes you can tell the really cheap cable from the decent stuff but if you've got a decent cable you can just make your own. I use Neutrik and Amphenol connectors for all my cables as does about 99% of the industry.

Okej I'll look into that, thanks!