Router for Steam in-home streaming

Go to solution Solved by beersykins,
5 hours ago, AmazingRez97 said:

i'm hoping 5Ghz would penetrate a concrete wall since streaming youtube with 2.4Ghz in my bedroom would be hopeless.

I think you have that backwards, lower frequencies offer more penetration than higher ones.

Is there no way to use wired?  Wireless is not ideal for in-home streaming.

I get a pretty reliable connection myself but I still get random stutters on WiFi, perfectly smooth on wired.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

That sounds like going from junk to junk.

Also as per above home streaming over WiFi generally performs poorly, especially if both the client and the server are both on the same ap/router/frequency

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

Yes I forgot to mention, if you MUST do it this way, you want at least the client or server (most likely server) to be wired.  Having both on wireless you would be asking for trouble.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

On 9/22/2018 at 6:14 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yes I forgot to mention, if you MUST do it this way, you want at least the client or server (most likely server) to be wired.  Having both on wireless you would be asking for trouble.

Yes, the server will be wired, but the client (a laptop) will be wireless.Will the 5Ghz band by the xiaomi router sufficient enough to at least "minimize" network interference?.

i'm also having trouble getting Wifi signal to an upstairs bedroom, i'm hoping 5Ghz would penetrate a concrete wall since streaming youtube with 2.4Ghz in my bedroom would be hopeless.

5 hours ago, AmazingRez97 said:

i'm hoping 5Ghz would penetrate a concrete wall since streaming youtube with 2.4Ghz in my bedroom would be hopeless.

I think you have that backwards, lower frequencies offer more penetration than higher ones.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

6 hours ago, AmazingRez97 said:

i'm hoping 5Ghz would penetrate a concrete

Aint going to happen. 2.4 on the lowest channel is your best bet, but lets hope you have no other 2.4 networks near by.

Also in home streaming only requires minimal bandwidth. I was able to stream 1080 60 on my Nvidia shield 2 apartments over on a gaming night with minimal frame loss. The experience was great. 

The biggest problem with in home streaming is actually steams shit PC optimization when streaming PC to PC, doesn't matter how good of a router you have.

On 23/09/2018 at 8:37 PM, mynameisjuan said:

Aint going to happen. 2.4 on the lowest channel is your best bet, but lets hope you have no other 2.4 networks near by.

Also in home streaming only requires minimal bandwidth. I was able to stream 1080 60 on my Nvidia shield 2 apartments over on a gaming night with minimal frame loss. The experience was great. 

The biggest problem with in home streaming is actually steams shit PC optimization when streaming PC to PC, doesn't matter how good of a router you have.

Can't say I agree, to avoid picture quality issues I have found in-home streaming using very high bitrates - far beyond what 2.4Ghz can handle.

I have also seen 5Ghz go through concrete over a short range without issues.  It depends on so many factors its impossible to predict.

20 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Can't say I agree, to avoid picture quality issues I have found in-home streaming using very high bitrates - far beyond what 2.4Ghz can handle.

I have also seen 5Ghz go through concrete over a short range without issues.  It depends on so many factors its impossible to predict.

Turn on steam statistics or look at real time values of the bandwidth. Hits no where near 2.4 limit, not sure where you are getting this from. 

Also yes 5ghz can make it through but its neither reliable or strong enough to not experience issues. Also when there are concrete walls there is reflection causing loss to everything on the router side of the wall. 

I did, used to hit 60Mbit I think its even gone up to 80Mbit at times.  Real-world performance on 2.4Ghz is 35Mbit, sometimes dropping to 1Mbit due to congestion on the bands.

12 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I did, used to hit 60Mbit I think its even gone up to 80Mbit at times.  Real-world performance on 2.4Ghz is 35Mbit, sometimes dropping to 1Mbit due to congestion on the bands.

1080p only pushes around 30mbps for me on beautiful setting, never had a game push past it nor had issues with it. 2.4 is not a problem with streaming. 

What GPU are you using?  Could make a difference due to the efficiency (or not) of hardware encoding.

Of course its also possible they just improved the compression since I checked, but it seems unlikely as GPU encoding is limited by the GPU.

It was a while ago, but I got 15Mbit at 768p 30fps.

I don't have any footage showing 1080p 60fps though but logically that should increase considerably.  Although I do have a different GPU today so maybe it would be different.

Curious, it does only peak at 30Mbit at 1080p 60fps now.  I wonder if NVENC was improved in the GTX 1070 Ti vs the GTX 970 or just general in-home Streaming improvements?  The above video was during the Beta.

Have to admit though, the image did seem softer so maybe I had it it set to maximum bitrate before?