Laptop stopped working need advice and electrical help?

itisme911
Go to solution Solved by itisme911,

OK I brought it to a shop, it was working I blieve the transport fixed it, the tech let me use his tools to resaeat and repaste everything for no charge. If anyone is in reno NV then go to reno computer fix he's a good tech.(and a mod on the forum XD)

Hey, first of all thanks to anyone who takes time to help or see if they can, now down to the problem. I have a gigabyte aorus x3 laptop, the quad core i7. Well I have noticed some issues with bluescreens like watchdog errors and driver power state failures. Thinking little of it, assuming windows was the issue I was getting ready to reinstall Windows when the thing blonks out. Now if I turn it on it turns itself off after a few seconds. Now it stays on longer if it's cooled off and turns off faster and faster which leads me to believe it may be a cooling issue. The problem with that is my temps were fine literally earlier today. Anyways I would appreciate any advice or experience someone may have. This is my only computer and my second month of college. Posting this on my phone. Also note that it turns off before it can get to windows, and the times when it takes like 10 seconds or more I can get to bios.  I have also been having Bluetooth issues and just noticed even when off if I press right click the Bluetooth indicator light lights up but it's still off and nothing else changes.                 EDIT I have a desktop but my power isn't grounded, I've done research for hours but still can't find a way to make it safe for me and my desktop/data. Working theory is a UPS and GFCI surge protector outlet may do it but it would be ungrounded GFCI.

House has no ground anyways and the outlet is two prong. 

1537427515177208259323.jpg

1537427545174-323326567.jpg

Disassemble and reapply thermal paste to all heatsinked components.  Check for anything rattling around in the housing.

I have a laptop that had a TIM failure even though temps reported as low, causing throttling.  One side of the CPU was not making contact with the heatsink, and one of the non user accessible thermal probe in the chip was triggering a throttle state.

2 minutes ago, itisme911 said:

Hey, first of all thanks to anyone who takes time to help or see if they can, now down to the problem. I have a gigabyte aorus x3 laptop, the quad core i7. Well I have noticed some issues with bluescreens like watchdog errors and driver power state failures. Thinking little of it, assuming windows was the issue I was getting ready to reinstall Windows when the thing blonks out. Now if I turn it on it turns itself off after a few seconds. Now it stays on longer if it's cooled off and turns off faster and faster which leads me to believe it may be a cooling issue. The problem with that is my temps were fine literally earlier today. Anyways I would appreciate any advice or experience someone may have. This is my only computer and my second month of college. Posting this on my phone. Also note that it turns off before it can get to windows, and the times when it takes like 10 seconds or more I can get to bios.

I had a similar problem to yours and if it's the same you will either have to change the whole GPU or just the VRAM chips ( I did the second one but it's hard to find a person willing to do it as it's not really easy). 

Basically I had a Toshiba Qosmio with quad-core i7 and gtx 560M, while gaming temps went up really high as the cooling solution from Toshiba wasn't the best. I found myself with throttling GPU pretty often, to the point that because of heat the VRAM chips started "peeling off" the gpu PCB. Went to a Tech guy he said it's kinda common and we had to change them. (depends on the models they are not really cheap). 

Everything worked afterwards but after 2 months or so because of the poor cooling solution it happened again, and I just sold the laptop and bought a desktop PC.

What you can do is, trying to start your laptop from the integrated GPU and see if it's going to output signal. If it does I guess you'll know what is the problem. 
I advise you taking it to a repair shop (preffarebly someone you know he knows what he's doing). Good luck!

4 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

are the fans spinning up?

No, though they normally don't untill a minute or so after it turns on.

5 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Disassemble and reapply thermal paste to all heatsinked components.  Check for anything rattling around in the housing.

Will do, though all my supplies are in hometown, I'mma need some paste and some torx? Screwdrivers? Ik which ones. EDIT, no rattling and I was running games on it at 2k in ok temps so as I said I'll try it but I don't think is likely issue.

2 minutes ago, itisme911 said:

Will do, though all my supplies are in hometown, I'mma need some paste and some torx? Screwdrivers? Ik which ones 

Just remember, with a TIM failure the CPU can be hotter in one spot than the primary thremal diode is reporting.  If any of the secondary diodes on the CPU report over ~105c the system will power down.

For mine, the CPU temp was reported as ~60c but it was still throttling because of one of the secondary sensors was hitting throttle temps.

2 minutes ago, voiha said:

I had a similar problem to yours and if it's the same you will either have to change the whole GPU or just the VRAM chips ( I did the second one but it's hard to find a person willing to do it as it's not really easy). 

Basically I had a Toshiba Qosmio with quad-core i7 and gtx 560M, while gaming temps went up really high as the cooling solution from Toshiba wasn't the best. I found myself with throttling GPU pretty often, to the point that because of heat the VRAM chips started "peeling off" the gpu PCB. Went to a Tech guy he said it's kinda common and we had to change them. (depends on the models they are not really cheap). 

Everything worked afterwards but after 2 months or so because of the poor cooling solution it happened again, and I just sold the laptop and bought a desktop PC.

What you can do is, trying to start your laptop from the integrated GPU and see if it's going to output signal. If it does I guess you'll know what is the problem. 
I advise you taking it to a repair shop (preffarebly someone you know he knows what he's doing). Good luck!

It displays to built in screen and to monitor. I will keep it in mind though.

OK I brought it to a shop, it was working I blieve the transport fixed it, the tech let me use his tools to resaeat and repaste everything for no charge. If anyone is in reno NV then go to reno computer fix he's a good tech.(and a mod on the forum XD)