Buying used newbie

Venturing into the world of privately sold used computer parts for the first time (specifically cpu, mobo, ram.) And am wondering if there's any seasoned vets out there that would have any advice for me to help me not get ripped off.

i5-3570K @4.3GHz Turbo w/ auto voltage

MSI Z77A-G45

Vengeance LP 2x4GB DDR3 2200MHz CL13

STRIX GTX 970 +180MHz Core clock +400MHz Memory Clock

MX500 500GB

CM h212+ w/ Cougar Vortex PWM 120mm @850 rpm

Lamptron FC9 \\ Cougar Turbine 120mm (4-pack) @800 rpm \\ NF-A12x15 PWM @1000 rpm

Antec One

Windows 10 Home

-----------------------------------------------

ASUS VG248QE 3D @144Hz

G710+ w/ Corsair PBT doubleshot keycaps + Double o-ring mod \\ G502 Spectrum

AKG K240 Studio w/ FiiO Olympus \\ Logitech X-530 + X-240 = Ghetto 7.1

IMO buying a non K CPU means less chance of damage. Same goes for all parts that aren't made for overclocking.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

What I want to know is, you know how people open up a gpu and check the number on the chip to know which model it is. I'm still looking for a website that gives me a list of all cards and their respective number that's supposed to be on the chip

You can't be 100% sure that a part is 100% good, but you can get the percentage higher by demanding a video/screenshot of stress testing/real world usage, with temps of the part so you know it is in working condition or you don't get scammed with another model part. Other than that you can read online in the forums for well known problems with the particular model, for example some GPU models has faulty fans and they wear out quicker etc etc. Just so you can be prepared into eventual problems that may occur. Other than that it should be fine.

Oh and if you don't want to risk, always check the sellers profile and see if he sells a lot of tech parts, so you know if he does it for business or not. If it's a hidden profile, don't buy.

Buy off Ebay and you are guaranteed to get your money back if you get scammed.

That being said, the best deals are usually found on Craigslist, not Ebay.

If you buy on Craigslist, see if the owner can demonstrate the hardware working (if you meet up at their house). If you meet in a public place, perhaps they can show you a video of the hardware working?

This was a lot of good advice I'll be sure to take into consideration. Thanks guys ^^

i5-3570K @4.3GHz Turbo w/ auto voltage

MSI Z77A-G45

Vengeance LP 2x4GB DDR3 2200MHz CL13

STRIX GTX 970 +180MHz Core clock +400MHz Memory Clock

MX500 500GB

CM h212+ w/ Cougar Vortex PWM 120mm @850 rpm

Lamptron FC9 \\ Cougar Turbine 120mm (4-pack) @800 rpm \\ NF-A12x15 PWM @1000 rpm

Antec One

Windows 10 Home

-----------------------------------------------

ASUS VG248QE 3D @144Hz

G710+ w/ Corsair PBT doubleshot keycaps + Double o-ring mod \\ G502 Spectrum

AKG K240 Studio w/ FiiO Olympus \\ Logitech X-530 + X-240 = Ghetto 7.1

Not to scare you off from buying used but remember you get no warranty or guarantee.  Don't get me wrong, if I get ripped off for any amount of money I'm not going to be happy but I don't go spend more than I'm willing to lose as it could be a gamble.  

For example I've got no worries sub $200 range, that's a lot of money sure but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.  I bought a used Ryzen 1700 for around  that a few weeks back untested and it was fine.  But if I were to get a $500 used GPU, I would want to see it working. If the seller couldn't accommodate that I wouldn't purchase.  Trust your gut and if the deal seems too good to be true it probably is.

Also look at it this way, if you are building for yourself and getting a dead part will be the difference between being able to afford the build and finish it or be a major set back by weeks or months, maybe going used isn't the best idea.  

Ryzen 2600 - Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 - Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - Corsair Force MP500 NVMe PCIe M.2 240GB - 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB - 

AsRock B450 PRO4 - Deepcool Earlkase Case -  Seasonic Foucus+ 650