Extremely low FPS on AC4

PaulC1
Go to solution Solved by Ineko,

In a city its pretty much at 50FPS now, sometimes 60 FPS if nothing is really happening, just got in to a group fight thing with some guards and it went down to 40's, sometimes 35. This is still with all lowest settings, they aren't great framerates but they are at least better and also my GPU usage pretty much never goes above 48%, do you think that's my CPU bottlenecking it or is the card just being awkward and not going to its full potential? I would also like to point out that my mobo only has a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot, no PCI-E 3.0, do you think that could also be affecting it? Thanks for all your help anyway :P

The performance increase going from PCI-E 2.0 to 3.0 is pretty much non-existent for current GPUs. Your GPU pretty much should be pinned at 100% most of the time. It definitely sounds like your CPU is limiting your performance.

EDIT: After doing a little bit of research I found that your CPU is basically equal to a i3-2120 performance wise. Which would easily bottleneck a 770.

So, my diagnosis, CPU bottleneck.

I just installed AC4 on my PC and it is running at a ridiculously low FPS on the lowest possible settings, I have a GTX 770, so it's not exactly a weak card but I'm almost never going above 40 FPS when in a city and even worse when in the jungle areas, is anyone else experiencing this? Is the game just horribly optimised for PC? I just feel that this is stupid, why would NVIDIA bundle a game with their card which it clearly can't run well, unless the answer to that is because it is just not optimised correctly and I don't know what GeForce Experience is doing because with the settings it's suggesting I'll almost never go above 25FPS. Is there any way to increase the FPS without lowering the resolution (I'm not even at 1080p), or are we stuck until Ubisoft starts taking PC seriously? I'm so glad I never bought this game.

Mirror's Edge 2. One day.

I just installed AC4 on my PC and it is running at a ridiculously low FPS on the lowest possible settings, I have a GTX 770, so it's not exactly a weak card but I'm almost never going above 40 FPS when in a city and even worse when in the jungle areas, is anyone else experiencing this? Is the game just horribly optimised for PC? I just feel that this is stupid, why would NVIDIA bundle a game with their card which it clearly can't run well, unless the answer to that is because it is just not optimised correctly and I don't know what GeForce Experience is doing because with the settings it's suggesting I'll almost never go above 25FPS. Is there any way to increase the FPS without lowering the resolution (I'm not even at 1080p), or are we stuck until Ubisoft starts taking PC seriously? I'm so glad I never bought this game.

Do you have the latest drivers?

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

It's optimized like shit, but that's still ver low FPS, I get around 45 on almost max witrh my 660 Ti.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

Do you have the latest drivers?

Yep, everything is at the latest

Do you have Physx on?

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Those smoke physics

Funny you should say that actually because PhysX was one of the biggest things to take a hit on it, from High to Off gave me like 20 FPS

Do you have Physx on?

I did, but it was unplayable, so I turned it off

It's optimized like shit, but that's still ver low FPS, I get around 45 on almost max witrh my 660 Ti.

:( Do you think it's possible I got a bad card or something?

I did, but it was unplayable, so I turned it off

how warm does your card get? and what CPU do you use?

AC4 works fine on my  GTX 770. I an max it out and still get above 40 FPS most of the time. Turn off Physx and God rays. Try installing the Beta drivers.  

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

how warm does your card get? and what CPU do you use?

My card keeps itself amazingly cool, idle is about 25C and under load it barely goes over 40C, sometimes not even 35C. My temp limit is set to 80C, but like Linus said, GPU Boost hardly works

My card keeps itself amazingly cool, idle is about 25C and under load it barely goes over 40C, sometimes not even 35C. My temp limit is set to 80C, but like Linus said, GPU Boost hardly works

looks like your card doesn't ramp up the core clock. check with MSI Afterburner or EVGA precison, check and see if, and by how much your core clock increases.

AC4 works fine on my  GTX 770. I an max it out and still get above 40 FPS most of the time. Turn off Physx and God rays. Try installing the Beta drivers.  

I have the latest available stable drivers, but I'll try downloading the beta ones and get back to you

post-3938-0-03169500-1388799712.png

looks like your card doesn't ramp up the core clock. check with MSI Afterburner or EVGA precison, check and see if, and by how much your core clock increases.

Will do after I install the beta drivers to see if that helps, the screen has been black for a good 3 minutes during this driver install, I hope this isn't another problem

Will do after I install the beta drivers to see if that helps, the screen has been black for a good 3 minutes during this driver install, I hope this isn't another problem

nope, it's fine.

I'd love to know why AC4 runs so bad on my 780. I think it's just really badly optimized.  <_<

I'd love to know why AC4 runs so bad on my 780. I think it's just really badly optimized.  <_<

What settings are you running at and what is your rough FPS? And it must be, because even a 770 should definitely be able to handle it no bother at high.

nope, it's fine.

20 minutes. It's been black for 20 minutes, should I just turn it off and restart it or?

20 minutes. It's been black for 20 minutes, should I just turn it off and restart it or?

That doesn't sound normal, i've never had a screen go black that long during a driver install

ok, that's not so normal. try restarting your pc, deinstall drivers, and reinstall them

There is no issue with my 770 and AC4, I run 50ish fps on the GeForce Experience recommended settings.

Try the Geforce settings.

ok, that's not so normal. try restarting your pc, deinstall drivers, and reinstall them

Restarted and went in to GeForce Experience, apparently it installed ok...

There is no issue with my 770 and AC4, I run 50ish fps on the GeForce Experience recommended settings.

Try the Geforce settings.

Are you using beta drivers?

That doesn't sound normal, i've never had a screen go black that long during a driver install

Happens to me every time I update the drivers on my 680. It's just NVIDIA being shit. I always have to use a keyboard shortcut to restart it.

Although, I heard uninstalling and re-installing the drivers in safe mode fixes this problem.

Sounds more like it keeps itself amazingly under-clocked. Those are the kind of temps you'd expect from a full water cooling loop.