AMD Ryzen 3 2200G - Aftermarket Cooler or Not?

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

Build it with the stock Wraith cooler at first, and then if you're unhappy with how it performs/noise levels then you can look at replacing it later.

Hey, so my brother is getting a custom gaming PC soon (built by yours truly) and I've chosen a Ryzen 3 2200G for him. It just occured to me that the Ryzen 3 2200G comes with a Wraith cooler (can't remember what one) and I assume that's enough cooling that it needs at most.

Is the stock AMD Wraith cooler that comes with the 2200G enough for heavy gaming or should I be considering an aftermarket cooler? I still have my old Cooler Master Hyper 212 sitting inside my closet so I could potentially use that as an 'upgrade' from the AMD Wraith cooler, but the hassle that thing causes is kind of off-putting and I can't imagine the difference between the two coolers would be much.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

If no overclocking is involved then it is a nice little cooler.

The stock cooler for my r7 1700 was actually enough to get the max overclock out of my chip, so that was nice. It was also very quiet.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

If no overclocking is involved then it is a nice little cooler.

The stock cooler for my r7 1700 was actually enough to get the max overclock out of my chip, so that was nice. It was also very quiet.

I'll be completely new to overclocking Ryzen (if a 2200G is even up for the task) so I'm itching to have a go at it! :D Of course, stability comes first and it is my brother's PC so I'll probably run it stock for a few weeks and see if he wants a bit more power after that.

Build it with the stock Wraith cooler at first, and then if you're unhappy with how it performs/noise levels then you can look at replacing it later.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, seoz said:

I'll be completely new to overclocking Ryzen (if a 2200G is even up for the task) so I'm itching to have a go at it! :D Of course, stability comes first and it is my brother's PC so I'll probably run it stock for a few weeks and see if he wants a bit more power after that.

In the case of overclocking (which you just said you're interested in), it's a good idea to invest in an aftermarket cooler in the near future.

1 minute ago, seoz said:

The ryzen overclocking is pretty easy, while dissapointing. You just increase the clockspeed until you hit a wall, and thats it, no tweaking to get it higher.

If doing heavy overclocking on both cpu and apu, i would mount the hyper 212, it should be able to cool it at max oc.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

As @Spotty said, use the free thing first. If it sucks, then spend money.

3 minutes ago, m0n4rchy said:

In the case of overclocking (which you just said you're interested in), it's a good idea to invest in an aftermarket cooler in the near future.

1 minute ago, Densetsu said:

As @Spotty said, use the free thing first. If it sucks, then spend money.

I mean, I already have a Hyper 212 so I guess I could use that, but I think I'd rather avoid that behemoth of a cooler, stock Wraith it is! :) At least, until I succumb to the overclock itch and decide I want to overclock the 2200G for whatever reason. ;)