Windows 10 Force boot from USB

FluffyQuido

Hi,

Is it possible to force my device to boot from a USB? My laptop screen stays black when turning on and pressing F2 whilst booting the device doesn't cause the BIOS to show up. External displays also have the same issue. According to EVGA, installing Windows again and updating the BIOS will fix the issue but I cannot install Windows because of the issue :/

Kind regards,

Quido

Not unless you can get into the BIOS.  Try removing the hard drive/ ssd and turning the system on then changing the settings, you may need to turn fastboot off as well temporarily.

if the machine isn't posting then you have to fix that first before you can attempt to boot from anything at all

Get the manual for the system and/or call tech support to get the procedure to force the machine into the UEFI.  You may need to pull the HDD.

Fastboot is a major PITA, and can cause this issue.  It skips any BIOS/UEFI boot screen and directly loads Windows, and if Windows is somehow corrupted you can get stuck in a boot loop until you remove the HDD/SSD.

16 minutes ago, FluffyQuido said:

Hi,

Is it possible to force my device to boot from a USB? My laptop screen stays black when turning on and pressing F2 whilst booting the device doesn't cause the BIOS to show up. External displays also have the same issue. According to EVGA, installing Windows again and updating the BIOS will fix the issue but I cannot install Windows because of the issue :/

Kind regards,

Quido

Are you certain it's F2? Might be another key combo. What model laptop?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

The trouble is, the laptop has an upside down motherboard design, the boot drive is on the other side of the motherboard, and removing it will void the warranty which I don't particularly want to do. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Are you certain it's F2? Might be another key combo. What model laptop?

Yes, the model is the EVGA SC15.

Looks like you need to be rapid-taping the F2 key as you press the power button.  Continue tapping the F2 key until something comes up.  If nothing displays on the screen, you may need to send the laptop in for service.

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Looks like you need to be rapid-taping the F2 key as you press the power button.  Continue tapping the F2 key until something comes up.  If nothing displays on the screen, you may need to send the laptop in for service.

Yeah, I have tried it multiple times. It seems to me that the BIOS does load but it is not shown on the screen. 

1 minute ago, FluffyQuido said:

Yeah, I have tried it multiple times. It seems to me that the BIOS does load but it is not shown on the screen. 

That indicates a hardware failure.

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

That indicates a hardware failure.

I assume so, I'll see what EVGA say when they reply and will RMA the device, thanks for your help everyone.