How many HDDs/SSDs have you lost?

James_McKeane

I work at a indi gaming studio as a trainee and I had an 8gb usb I lost it under the front seat of my bros car for about three months what's worst is it had all of my trainee stuff and I hadn't saved it onto the sever for a while had to start my unit's all over again, it's ironic one of my trainers always says to save my works :) all is well now I caught back up.

WD 120gb (wd1200) died after owning it for 7 years (hard lock ups if you plug it in)

Seagate 1tb (7200.12 i think) died within 6 months (2xx relocated sectors) rmad it got a new one back which also died within a year (just had enough time to rma it,and that one is working still)

Samsung spinpoint f3 1tb , (bad sectors ) rmad it, got a new one back working ever since

Seagate 3tb died in less then 5 hours uptime(reallocated sectors like mad,wouldn't even show in bios/device manager anymore after 5 hours), rmad it got a new one back, which i just use as a backup drive so it basicly doesn't run that often.

Other then that all my drives actually survived, even my quantum fireball 40gb (which i still have lying around here) is still working which i found hilarious.

I have lost plenty Laptop HDD's, although not my fault, they were just old.

On the other hand, my 500 MB Segate Drive is still working and has Win 98 on it.

got my first hdd in an amiga 1200, 64MB in 1993 it lasted about 7 years and died. since then i have gone though about 30 hdds with only 1 fail (the only 1 i ever got posted to me). i found that if you go to the store and pick em up yourself they do last a lot longer than the 1s that come in the post.

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

I've dropped my 05 laptop while it was on (dell D610) from around 8ft onto a wooden floor and it landed on the bottom left hand corner where the hdd is, i picked it up and continued doing what i was doing :D

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I've been using a 320GB hitachi deskstar HDP725032GLA380 since 2008 lol.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

I've lost 0 HD's and 3 SSD's. OCZ has made some crap drives for me
I've had my 120GB Agility 3 since release day, still great, got a 60GB one in my laptop too - that ones fine as well

PC: EVGA GTX680, i5 2500K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Gigabyte Z68-GA-UD3P, 120GB OCZ SSD, 2x1TB WD Greens, Corsair 600t, Corsair AX750, Corsair H100i, ASUS MX239H, Corsair K60 + M60. 

1 HDD (80GB) and 0 SSD's

I had a little fun with the sledge hammer and the broken HDD

CPU: Intel i7 4790k Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 2400MHz: GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 780 Ti's with ACX cooling PSU: Corsair AX1200 Watt Gold SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD (Operating System) SSD: Mushkin Chronos 240GB (Games) Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR HDD: Seagate 3TB External OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Mouse: Logitech G502 Gaming mouse Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 MX Red switches Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

2 500GB external HDD's, one Maxtor and one Wester Digital, about 2 years apart. Newest 500GB WD MyBook is working fine after 5 years of service. :)

so far 1 320gb hdd out of my gf's laptop

Appelzaadje - the Insane

Intel i7-4770K - Maximus VI Formula - Corsair Dominator GT 1866mhz - R9 290X - Xonar DGX - Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb - 3X WD1001FALS - Raven RV01 - Iiyama B2409HDS 3x - Custom water loop - Windows 10 Pro - XFX tripple monitor stand - Steelseries 4HD - Logitech G9, G19, G35 and Z5500

None, even the 40GB one from my 12 year old computer is still working!
I have a 4.3GB IBM Deskstar 5 that's still alive and well, although not currently in use. :) I think in most cases HDD's die because people mistreat them, this especially applies to laptop HDD's and external HDD's. They are not very exposed to this misuse when they're in a desktop PC.

I've lost 0 HD's and 3 SSD's. OCZ has made some crap drives for me
You may have got a good drive or two. All three of my vertex 3 drives died. I switched brands (Intel) and never have had problems.

2 500 gig hitatchi's from old old laptops.

He who dies with the most tools wins.

I've only had one die. It was some crappy 60Gb drive from an old school computer (no I didn't steal it :) ).
borrowing ......it's different from stealing xD
Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

SSD's 0, probably mainly due to the lack of them or low count but now that I remember one did die, the user fell (laptop in backpack) and it killed the SSD drive, yes they fell and the drive died, OCZ didn't buy it either till they got the drive and shipped out a new one as it was under warranty.

Hard Drives N, been at it too long, a couple months a go a box with who knows how many was shipped out to the shredders. Then again we are mainly on spinning hard drives. Persaonlly maybe two or three, I consider dead drives that have repeated bad sectors, still useable but I'm not chancing it.

did the laptop survive?
Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

None yet :) Hope I can keep this record going
thumbs up to help your record ;)
Linus Sebastian said:

I've been using a 320GB hitachi deskstar HDP725032GLA380 since 2008 lol.
320gb hitachi deskstar here too (high fives)
Linus Sebastian said:

one 2 gig drive I lost to bad sector, spread through the whole drive

one 120 laptop drive , dropped off desk while in operation so that one was my fault

one 500gig drive failed through bad firmware, they refunded me the money

1 1tb has bad sectors is still working corrupted sectors are locked off , I hope I have no new problems with it I still have back up date on the drive , I didn't lose pictures but lost one or 2 games and some old pc games,

I bought another 1tb drive and I have the same back up data on that one, so I am covered

I have 3 60gb sata 3 Kingston V200+ set in raid 0 , works fine

3 Seagate 320gig sata 2 setup in raid 0 work fine , for media files and the odd old game that doesn't really benefit from ssd speed.

Loads of old laptop drives IDE and SATA all work fine , set up as external drives, use the to transport data to friends house ect or I give them to people that don't have back ups

1 corsair 60gb sata 2 ssd, works fine in my laptop

6gg ide and 4 gb both Seagate , but that just through it life cycle really, failing after 12 years of use , i'm not really going to moan about it

I lost one when the "replacement" from HP, which was WD Black 2.5", died due to lack of cooling on the drive. Let me tell ya, HP Mini isn't meant for drives that even need cooling.. but that's luckily it for me.

Technically I lost another one but only because it was a family hard drive and I had all these awesome SNES ROM Hacks I made (back then I didn't even know what backing up was) in that drive but my mom just dropped it from 1.5m desk to a wooden floor... It was 80GB ext HDD.

I don't even know if internal HDDs fail these days as I'm just using all sorts of SSDs and only one seagate backup plus 1TB (hdd) which served me well for the last almost year.

I've got two 320gb Seagates that are about 5.5 years old and still going strong. I've only had one hard drive die and that was a 90% full 1TB Seagate external which I lent to a friend who let it drop 3 feet off the arm of a couch... completely dead :( Also that was the point where I learned the valuable lesson of having everything backed up haha Luckily I only had movies, tv series and game installs on there so everything was replaceable but a TB of data takes a while to download again especially back in 2010 when Australia had crap internet download caps.

I have lost none luckily (touch wood).

I will cry if this post breaks any of my HDD/SSD's :(.

Luckily, I have lost none, but my father once dropped our 1 drive NAS and it broke. We lost a great amount of pictures that day :(

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

SSD's 0, probably mainly due to the lack of them or low count but now that I remember one did die, the user fell (laptop in backpack) and it killed the SSD drive, yes they fell and the drive died, OCZ didn't buy it either till they got the drive and shipped out a new one as it was under warranty.

Hard Drives N, been at it too long, a couple months a go a box with who knows how many was shipped out to the shredders. Then again we are mainly on spinning hard drives. Persaonlly maybe two or three, I consider dead drives that have repeated bad sectors, still useable but I'm not chancing it.

Oddly yes the laptop only had a scratch and a very minor one, much to my surprise. Yet the SSD DOA, I know we all said the SSD died? Was a freak occurrence but hey it happens.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.