Electronic noise through speakers while not playing sound

Hielke

I got some new speakers. And through these speakers, I constantly hear 'electronic noise', even when not playing any sound. Now my previous speakers also had some electronic noise, but way more subtle than these 'new' speakers.

My setup: 2 front speakers + sub connected to a receiver (same as an amplifier) and then via AUX to my motherboard.

I have tried unplugging the front sound jack cable from my motherboard as was suggested by this video: 

But this did not remove the electronic noise. Do you know how to remove or reduce electronic noise coming from my speakers while not playing sounds?

i5-6600K 3,50GHz | Motherboard Gigabyte B150M-D3H | RAM Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4-2400 | GTX970 | 500GB SSD EVO | 2560x1440p 27" | Corsair 650W 

Its a common issue and I do not believe its fixable while using the analog output of the motherboard as its down its circuitry.  This is why some boards make a big deal about "low noise" outputs.

Can you not connect the receiver over SPDIF coax or optical?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

4 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its a common issue and I do not believe its fixable while using the analog output of the motherboard as its down its circuitry.  This is why some boards make a big deal about "low noise" outputs.

24 minutes ago, Hielke said:

I got some new speakers. And through these speakers, I constantly hear 'electronic noise', even when not playing any sound. Now my previous speakers also had some electronic noise, but way more subtle than these 'new' speakers.

My setup: 2 front speakers + sub connected to a receiver (same as an amplifier) and then via AUX to my motherboard.

I have tried unplugging the front sound jack cable from my motherboard as was suggested by this video: 

But this did not remove the electronic noise. Do you know how to remove or reduce electronic noise coming from my speakers while not playing sounds?

its  a hardware issue if the speaker is running off USB power its more common or you may have a bad sound card (you can get a USB one like a Rocat Juke (which i use to use and i love it))

13 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The receiver has Coax and Optical both but my motherboard has none. If I buy a PCIe sound card with either coax or optical, will the noise be lower or gone? Or is that more or less a gamble?

i5-6600K 3,50GHz | Motherboard Gigabyte B150M-D3H | RAM Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4-2400 | GTX970 | 500GB SSD EVO | 2560x1440p 27" | Corsair 650W 

6 minutes ago, Nolanrulesroblox said:

its  a hardware issue if the speaker is running off USB power its more common or you may have a bad sound card (you can get a USB one like a Rocat Juke (which i use to use and i love it))

What do you mean with running of USB power? I currently use the on board sound card on my motherboard. 

they might be just told but if you have tried the speakers on another board/audio output?

7 minutes ago, Nolanrulesroblox said:

they might be just told but if you have tried the speakers on another board/audio output?

No I have not. I have no other hardware to connect it to but my computer. 

Note: when I turn off the volume of my PC, the electronic noise is still present, meaning it comes via the receiver?

2 minutes ago, Nolanrulesroblox said:

it looks like (dont quote me on this but) a bad sound card i would recommend this https://www.amazon.com/ROCCAT-Performance-Gaming-Headset-Black/dp/B00IPDK2B6?ref=ast_p_pc_bs   but if the issue is still happening then you need to get new speakers.

** https://www.amazon.com/ROCCAT-Juke-Virtual-Soundcard-Headset/dp/B00UTMKCMK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1536858404&sr=1-1&keywords=roccat+juke    my bad

Check with the PC unplugged from the receiver, if the noise is gone its the PC causing it and getting a dedicated sound card should indeed help, especially if you use optical or coax.

Best not to go for the cheapest though as I got a cheap USB adapter for optical and it had issues.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Good advice, I will try that.

3 hours ago, Hielke said:

Note: when I turn off the volume of my PC, the electronic noise is still present, meaning it comes via the receiver?

Most interference/static noises have pretty constant voltage.

Though is it really interference...

Is it single lowish frequency sound, or broader band higher frewquency noise?

And any variation in it depending on say CPU/GPU load?

Here are mains hum samples:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_hum#Tone

Thoose are caused by ground loops.

On 13-9-2018 at 11:01 PM, EsaT said:

Most interference/static noises have pretty constant voltage.

Though is it really interference...

Is it single lowish frequency sound, or broader band higher frewquency noise?

And any variation in it depending on say CPU/GPU load?

Here are mains hum samples:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_hum#Tone

Thoose are caused by ground loops.

Sorry for the late response. The tone I hear is much higher than those two on the Wikipedia page.

If previous speakers had less noise there might be also some kind interaction between motherboard's sound card and amplifier/receiver.

How's your Windows volume setting?

If it's low you could try lowering volume setting of receiver and increase Windows volume to see if anything changes.

Low Windows volume setting drops voltage of actual audio signal low and that makes any circuitry background noise/most interference stronger in relation to it.