Hosting Minecraft with Torguard

DKims

Hi, I'm looking for help setting up a MC  server using Torguard.

I live on a university campus and the network does not allow for my server to be visible (expected). I bought Torguard in hopes of being able to host my server that I was using over the summer (and not pay as much for AirVPN, but it already looks like I'll have to cancel Torguard and go for AirVPN), but any attempts I've made so far have been futile. I didn't buy a dedicated IP (didn't think I would need it). I don't have much knowledge on VPNs (in fact, let's just consider it nothing since I only know to change the VPN server to play anime games on Japanese servers) and I need some help.

Might sound silly to have spent money on a VPN just for MC but I was going to get one that was better than a free one eventually since I also have a dedicated server machine so I assure you I am using it for other more useful things (like (attempting to) build backend stuff as a practice project since I'm a CS major). Going back to MC just seemed better that playing League in season 8 so it just kinda happened between me and my roommate xD

I think Linus is partially to blame for this, but people don't seem to get what a VPN does. A VPN creates a private, thus exclusive, tunnel between one network and another. This can be over the internet as well as locally. It is however not designed to allow traffic to bypass any security measures like firewalls and routers from the other end. In other words, you may have a private IP via a VPN service somewhere in the world, but that adress isn't meant to allow people to connect to your services on a closed off network. It's YOUR ticket to a place outside of your closed off network instead.

If you want to play Minecraft with your roommate or people directly around you, get a router with wireless, connect the machine that hosts the server to it (or get an extra NIC to connect to both networks) and let other people connect to the wireless network. You'll be able to see the MC server on the LAN no problem.

Businesses often use a site-to-site VPN with a certificate or password to make two way communication possible. Public VPN services don't have these security measures unless you want to share your account which in turn may be blocked due to a session limit.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

with all the things you're trying to achieve here.. rent a box in a datacenter? they're not *that* expensive.

also, if its just you and someone else who is in the same space as you, just host on your local network.

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I think Linus is partially to blame for this, but people don't seem to get what a VPN does. A VPN creates a private, thus exclusive, tunnel between one network and another. This can be over the internet as well as locally. It is however not designed to allow traffic to bypass any security measures like firewalls and routers from the other end. In other words, you may have a private IP via a VPN service somewhere in the world, but that adress isn't meant to allow people to connect to your services on a closed off network. It's YOUR ticket to a place outside of your closed off network instead.

If you want to play Minecraft with your roommate or people directly around you, get a router with wireless, connect the machine that hosts the server to it (or get an extra NIC to connect to both networks) and let other people connect to the wireless network. You'll be able to see the MC server on the LAN no problem.

Unfortunately my roommate is actually no longer my roommate. I was living with him over the summer temporarily. My university also does not allow routers unless we take them into the university help desk to get the wifi disabled (effectively making them glorified ethernet switches, but we aren't allowed to use regular switches either since it causes security flags in the building's switch to go off).

I saw AirVPN have something with an exit-ip, do you know what that is exactly?

6 minutes ago, DKims said:

Unfortunately my roommate is actually no longer my roommate. I was living with him over the summer temporarily. My university also does not allow routers unless we take them into the university help desk to get the wifi disabled (effectively making them glorified ethernet switches, but we aren't allowed to use regular switches either since it causes security flags in the building's switch to go off).

Then stop trying to host anything there. They don't want you to, and it's generally not allowed on this forum to discuss measures to bypass security. 

Get a VPS somewhere or rent a Minecraft server. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Then stop trying to host anything there. They don't want you to, and it's generally not allowed on this forum to discuss measures to bypass security. 

Get a VPS somewhere or rent a Minecraft server. 

It was recommended I get a VPN by the help desk. I did originally think about getting a VPS, but since I was going to get a VPN I thought about trying it out for a bit.

6 minutes ago, DKims said:

It was recommended I get a VPN by the help desk. I did originally think about getting a VPS, but since I was going to get a VPN I thought about trying it out for a bit.

They probably meant you to use a service like Hamachi or Tunggle. Make an account, install the software, setup a network, make the users connect, and bob's your uncle. It's not exactly public, but it does allow you to create your little network for those you give access.

They probably meant you to use a service like Hamachi or Tunggle. Make an account, install the software, setup a network, make the users connect, and bob's your uncle. It's not exactly public, but it does allow you to create your little network for those you give access.

Actually I tried Hamachi first. But they said Hamachi will never work here and said to get a proper VPN. Tunngle is dead I'm pretty sure.

11 minutes ago, DKims said:

Easier just to rent a box off site in your situation. The server host will provide your the security you need, and give you the tools to keep the server running. You'll have full control and no should have issues connecting sine there not trying to enter your svhools network, but the off sites host network.

8 minutes ago, DKims said:

Actually I tried Hamachi first. But they said Hamachi will never work here and said to get a proper VPN. Tunngle is dead I'm pretty sure.

Well, I'm out of ideas then. When they block every piece of traffic they don't deem normal, there's not much you can do.

Pretty sure AirVPN should work, as long as Minecraft lets you specify a custom port.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7