Getting Shocked by computer case

felix920506

I get shocked whenever I touch my PC case.

My apartment doesn't have a grounding wire.

After some troubleshooting its because of static electricity but I don't know how to deal with it.

I don't want to get shocked anymore!!!

6 minutes ago, felix920506 said:

I get shocked whenever I touch my PC case.

My apartment doesn't have a grounding wire.

After some troubleshooting its because of static electricity but I don't know how to deal with it.

I don't want to get shocked anymore!!!

Have carpet? Remove it from the floor. There are tons of thing you can just ground it to anyway, check your wiring. Maybe something is slightly loose and sending electricity through your metal case. 

Oh and when I say remove it from the floor, I just mean place it on top of something. Your pc should never be straight down on the floor anyway, especially carpet. 

Is it dry there. If it is dry you are more likely to have static. You could run a humidifier, it would be good for more than just reducing static

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

2 minutes ago, DVA said:

Oh and when I say remove it from the floor, I just mean place it on top of something. Your pc should never be straight down on the floor anyway, especially carpet. 

2 minutes ago, DVA said:

Have carpet? Remove it from the floor. There are tons of thing you can just ground it to anyway, check your wiring. Maybe something is slightly loose and sending electricity through your metal case. 

Nothing is loose
PC is placed on a wooden chair

You could attach a wire from your PC to a pipe or through a window outside to the ground. (I got this from https://tw.forumosa.com/t/grounding-your-computer-in-taiwan/5178/4, I'd recommend checking it out.)

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

1 minute ago, Justin_ said:

Is it dry there. If it is dry you are more likely to have static. You could run a humidifier, it would be good for more than just reducing static

This place is SUPER F*CKING HUMID

4 hours ago, Sayori said:

You could attach a wire from your PC to a pipe or through a window outside to the ground. (I got this from https://tw.forumosa.com/t/grounding-your-computer-in-taiwan/5178/4, I'd recommend checking it out.)

Agreed.
You can run any spare wire you have laying around the house and attached one end to the back of the case, with the other to any metallic water pipe in the house.

It's not a race to the bottom.

Pull a screw off the wall outlet cover and wrap the wire around the screw then apply the other end to the case. The screw on the outlet should be grounded somewhere.

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

DRIVES:500GB Samsung 970 Pro + Patriot Blast 480GB x2 + 12tb RAID10 NAS

MONITORS:Pixio PX329 32inch 1440p 165hz, LG 34UM68-p 1080p 75hz

How hard is that shock?

I also get shocked when I touch my case a certain why. I figured out it was the hdmi connection to my monitor but that shock wasn't painful.

• 2 months later...

Would it be safe to attach this wire to my oil heater. It’s closest to my pc. Will my heater blow up.

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.