What should I do with broken IMAC

Emiougus

A couple weeks back I found a IMAC (late 2013) at my local tip that was labelled broken and for parts. I think I've diagnosed the problem that being the power supply due to it having a big black burn mark on it. So I was just wondering if anyone had any advise of what I should do with it, I should also mention the screen has several cracks which don't look too major. 

I've got a couple options which I'm considering:

1. Take out things like the ram and cpu then sell them off and keep the cash. 

2. buy a new PSU for it off ebay for $120, which I'm hoping would fix it but not sure. Which is why it would be risky. 

So I have a couple questions. 

1. If I did go with option 2 does anyone know how likely it would be for there to be any major damages like black spots or lines on the screen. 

2. How likely would it be that when the PSU blew up however it did that other components were damaged like the logic board. 

3. Are there any other things you would suggest doing?

PSUs blowing up in iMacs is very uncommon. Must've been a power surge or something like that. Probably fried the logic board too.

I'd remove RAM and disk and just leave it there. CPU is soldered. - on the 21.5" -

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

CPU is soldered.

are you sure? it's an imac, not a macbook... 

She/Her

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

are you sure? it's an imac, not a macbook... 

Yes. I'm sure.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-2.7-21-inch-aluminum-late-2013-specs.html

The 27" does have a socket, the 21" doesn't.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

PSUs blowing up in iMacs is very uncommon. Must've been a power surge or something like that. Probably fried the logic board too.

I'd remove RAM and disk and just leave it there. CPU is soldered.

According to this Ifixit guide it's not soldered. I have had the thing sitting next to me for a couple weeks and saw linus' video today where he replaced the CPU in his hence me looking at the one I had next to me. 

2 minutes ago, Emiougus said:

According to this Ifixit guide it's not soldered. I have had the thing sitting next to me for a couple weeks and saw linus' video today where he replaced the CPU in his hence me looking at the one I had next to me. 

You didn't specify it was a 27" ;) 

Just now, NelizMastr said:

You didn't specify it was a 27" ;) 

Oh my bad lol

19 minutes ago, Emiougus said:

Are there any other things you would suggest doing?

Yeah.  Do you have some gasoline and a box of matches? 

There's no way for most people to know if Apple has built in protections to prevent the PSU from damaging the rest of the components.  I'd assume they didn't.

Personally I'd get in touch with an unauthorized repair shop and see if they can use it for parts and are willing to pay anything for it.