36MB/s on a HDD

Alir

I am dealing with two HDDs.

One is new. 3.5" 2TB.

One is old. 2.5" 750GB - more info on this: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/970666-hdd-smart-variable-was-failing-but-is-now-ok-after-writing-0s-to-it/?tab=comments#comment-11740859

I am writing random bits to the drives using Veracrypt.

The write speed of the 3.5" is 186MB/s.

The write speed of the 2.5" is 36MB/s.

I'm really shocked at how slow the old HDD is. Is that a normal speed for a 2.5" drive? I think it is 7200 RPM. Could it be an indication of HDD failure?

Considering it already reported a smart failure before, I'd say that drive is rekt, yes.

Also, rotation speed makes very little difference to the sequential reads and writes. Rotation speed mainly benefits IOPS. Raw throughput is mostly capacity dependant. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

26 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Considering it already reported a smart failure before, I'd say that drive is rekt, yes.

Also, rotation speed makes very little difference to the sequential reads and writes. Rotation speed mainly benefits IOPS. Raw throughput is mostly capacity dependant. 

It failed it before. Now the SMART failure is somehow magically fixed. Didn't know SMART failures could go away. 

It said "FAILING"

Edited by Alir

5 minutes ago, Alir said:

It failed it before. Now the SMART failure is somehow magically fixed. Didn't know SMART failures could go away. 

It said "FAILING"

SMART failures never go away. Must be a software glitch. But those speeds aren't right. Definitely a hardware issue there. I'd just throw it away tbh, it can't be trusted to hold any somewhat important data.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

The drive has exhibited some worrying symptoms, and is of very little value, you're better off just ditching it.