PC upgrade question

OfCHRONicle

I am currently looking to upgrade my current gaming pc running an i5-6400, 16gb of corsair vengeance ddr4 ram, gtx 1070, all on an ROG Maximus hero VII motherboard. My initial plan was to order an i7-7700K but was wondering if it is worth spending the extra $200 on a new motherboard to jump up to the i7-8700K. Thanks in advanced 

Just now, OfCHRONicle said:

I am currently looking to upgrade my current gaming pc running an i5-6400, 16gb of corsair vengeance ddr4 ram, gtx 1070, all on an ROG Maximus hero VII motherboard. My initial plan was to order an i7-7700K but was wondering if it is worth spending the extra $200 on a new motherboard to jump up to the i7-8700K. Thanks in advanced 

Welcome to the LTT forums! If you want bang for your buck on performance I would grab the 7700k as the 8700k is basically a 7700k with slightly faster cores, and 2 more cores. But if you want the ultimate gaming PC the 8700k (for now) is where it is at, but do note Intel is about to unveil some new CPUs, so if you plan to go that route you may just want to wait and grab the 9700k or 9900k when they drop.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

If it's cheaper, you could get a 6700k for that motherboard. The 6700k is still 14nm, and is still a great chip.

You aren't likely to see any benefit whatsoever in putting a 7700k over a 6700k into that motherboard. The 7700k benefits, real-world, have more to do with the Z270 motherboard architecture than the actual chip.

Otherwise, if you're going to update the motherboard, then I would upgrade to the Z370 platform instead. You can then go up to the current 8700k, or wait for the new chips for Z370.

Edited by NickPickerWI
I got corrected by someone.

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

12 minutes ago, NickPickerWI said:

If it's cheaper, you could get a 6700k for that motherboard. The 6700k is still 14nm, and is still a great chip.

You aren't likely to see any benefit whatsoever in putting a 7700k over a 6700k into that motherboard. The 7700k benefits, real-world, have more to do with the Z270 motherboard architecture than the actual chip.

Otherwise, if you're going to update the motherboard, then I would upgrade to the Z370 platform instead. You can then go up to the current 8700k, or wait for the new chips for Z370.

I agree here. Aside from that last sentence. The new chips come with a new chipset (Z390). Everyone seems to screw 9000 series information up on their own way lol. 

But yeah I'd wait and get 9700k because of the soldered IHS and 2 extra cores. If you only plan on gaming then don't bother. https://youtu.be/gMFd0aVhVKU

Send help

1 hour ago, ManEatingFridge said:

The new chips come with a new chipset (Z390).

Crap, I didn't know that. Thanks for the correction!

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

Thanks for all the quick replies (sorry for not getting back so quick but gotta get those hours in at work to save up for this build). I think I am just going to save my pennies and get the new 9th gen when they come out. Thanks again to everyone that gave their input!