Hello,

I purchased this HDD from a local server company, had it for about 2 years now. It is in a Raid 5 storage pool and the power on count is starting to worry me. It has been running strong and true for a while no errors, still quick read time. I have 3 others of the exact same varying power on time. I was thinking I might be able to start cooling them with an HDD cooler, or should I just save up, replace and rebuild my storage pool? Looking for any input. 

Thank you!

-CancelShredWasted

hdd.PNG

Hello CancelShredWasted,

What about the S.M.A.R.T details, do they show in this tool like healthy/good? I recommend to use tools made by the manufacturer of the hard drive just in case, because third party tools may not read the same way than the tools that a manufacturer creates to measure the drive health...

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

On 9/11/2018 at 1:51 PM, seagate_surfer said:

Hello CancelShredWasted,

What about the S.M.A.R.T details, do they show in this tool like healthy/good? I recommend to use tools made by the manufacturer of the hard drive just in case, because third party tools may not read the same way than the tools that a manufacturer creates to measure the drive health...

Hello seagate-surfer,

All of the drives passed the various test, but 3/5 started clicking. I believe it is time to look for a new drive. Thank you for the help! Will look for a segate perhaps.

Thank you,

-CancelShredWasted

You are welcome! There is one website with recorded failing drives sounds, you may want to take a look at it. Should you hear anything similar to this, do a backup on that unit and get a replacement, chances are it will fail at any moment: http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Replace the drives. It has 6.5 years of run time on it. Even if it's not failing now, it's only a matter of time.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 9/13/2018 at 8:01 AM, seagate_surfer said:

You are welcome! There is one website with recorded failing drives sounds, you may want to take a look at it. Should you hear anything similar to this, do a backup on that unit and get a replacement, chances are it will fail at any moment: http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

Just ordered 3 ST2000DM006 will let you know when they hit 5 years lol

11 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

Hello Seagate_surfer,

The comments made me worried that they were reusing old drives, but all 3 in pool running fine. I am going to replace the last super old HDD with a bigger drive when I have the cash. Thanks for all the help!!

-CancelShredWasted

5ba9b40fecde9_coveredhdd.PNG.802e54f75486edae46313d38b7395277.PNG

I don't know where that rumor came from, but I can tell you that our drives meet quality standards regardless of the line you are purchasing. From our end, when you hear brand new it is usually brand new.

On 9/13/2018 at 7:01 AM, seagate_surfer said:

Waiting for a drive to show signs of failure before backing it up is playing Russian Roulette with all but one chamber loaded. Even a RAID needs to be backed up. RAID only protects from drive failure; even then, it protects only to a limited degree. If more drives fail than the RAID is designed to handle (such as more than one drive in RAID 5 or more than two in RAID 6) or if, say, a RAID 5  is still rebuilding after a drive has been replaced and andother drive dies, data will be lost.

Drive failure is not the only way data can be lost. Other ways of losing data include viruses and other malware, user error, power surges, theft, fire, flood, etc. Only a having both an onsite and offsite backup kept powered down and disconnected from the data source can protect from those dangers.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:17 AM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Waiting for a drive to show signs of failure before backing it up is playing Russian Roulette with all but one chamber loaded. Even a RAID needs to be backed up. RAID only protects from drive failure; even then, it protects only to a limited degree. If more drives fail than the RAID is designed to handle (such as more than one drive in RAID 5 or more than two in RAID 6) or if, say, a RAID 5  is still rebuilding after a drive has been replaced and andother drive dies, data will be lost.

Drive failure is not the only way data can be lost. Other ways of losing data include viruses and other malware, user error, power surges, theft, fire, flood, etc. Only a having both an onsite and offsite backup kept powered down and disconnected from the data source can protect from those dangers.

There is definitely no one in the world that can assure that one hard drive will never fail, regardless the brand it is always recommended to have a back up of your important data, that includes drives that are brand new also.

11 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

There is definitely no one in the world that can assure that one hard drive will never fail, regardless the brand it is always recommended to have a back up of your important data, that includes drives that are brand new also.

I agree to this as well. However, coming from a data recovery background I have... a grudge against basically any DM series drive because of their head and firmware issues. Especially the newer drives that use signed ROMs. Makes it almost impossible to even talk to the drives and control them. 

Then again I did see drives in the worst shape so ?

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD