PrimoCache Questions

STEAL7HY
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

You can also use storage spaces tiering built into windows 10. Id get the bigger 240gb inland drive.

You can't compare sequentical speeds, both of those drives are dram less so random io will be slower and thats what your normally limited by, and what a ssd cache is designed to help with.

I am wanting to boost a Seagate 2TB BarraCuda 7200 RPM Drive. With PrimoCache or is there a diffrent way to do it with better results? What size SSD do I need? I already seen the Kingston A400 120GB SSD with 500MB/s Read and 320MB/s Write. Or the Inland Professional 240GB SSD with 530MB/s Read and 440MB/s Write.

Thank You for your time!

120GB should be fine, hell you'll probably be fine with a 64GB

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

You can also use storage spaces tiering built into windows 10. Id get the bigger 240gb inland drive.

You can't compare sequentical speeds, both of those drives are dram less so random io will be slower and thats what your normally limited by, and what a ssd cache is designed to help with.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

3 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

120GB should be fine, hell you'll probably be fine with a 64GB

Is there any guess how good the preformance is?

2 minutes ago, STEAL7HY said:

Is there any guess how good the preformance is?

Depends on the use case. If your loading games it will help a bit, depending on games played.

Depending on budget, Id be temped to just get a 1 or 2tb drive. There getting to 150usd for 1tb ssds now.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Depends on the use case. If your loading games it will help a bit, depending on games played.

Depending on budget, Id be temped to just get a 1 or 2tb drive. There getting to 150usd for 1tb ssds now.

Ok thank you very much

On 9/9/2018 at 4:18 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Sorry to thread hijack, but my thread would be way too similar with this being merely days old. I currently have a 500GB SSD OS drive, 1TB HDD for storage, and I just bought a 240GB SSD with the intention to use it for either PrimoCache, Windows 10 Storage Spaces, or AMD FuzeDrive since I have a B450+2600 combo. My only goal is to make it so huge games (like Witcher 3, BF1, CODWW2, R6 Siege) can be stored on my 1TB HDD but load as if they're on my 500GB SSD. What would you recommend me do with my 240GB SSD for my gaming goals for the best performance?

28 minutes ago, ThR1LL said:

Sorry to thread hijack, but my thread would be way too similar with this being merely days old. I currently have a 500GB SSD OS drive, 1TB HDD for storage, and I just bought a 240GB SSD with the intention to use it for either PrimoCache, Windows 10 Storage Spaces, or AMD FuzeDrive since I have a B450+2600 combo. My only goal is to make it so huge games (like Witcher 3, BF1, CODWW2, R6 Siege) can be stored on my 1TB HDD but load as if they're on my 500GB SSD. What would you recommend me do with my 240GB SSD for my gaming goals for the best performance?

Performance wise there aren't many good tests, and it also depends on the exact use.

Id personally gfive storage spaces a shot first, but since you have storemi that may be easier.