Portable Desktop with LM

YeuJin

Currently, I'm using Fractal Design Node 202 and my CPU has been delidded and my concern is that the liquid metal inside. Will it leak over time if I travel around with it? Will be using a backpack most of the time. Anyone had issues with LM while often transporting/travelling PC? Application of the liquid metal is a moderate amount, not too little nor too much (Conductonaut). Any feedback would be helpful.

Intel i7 8700 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz | Node 202 | Cryorig C7 Cu | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB OC'ed | WD Black M.2 PCIE NVMe 500GB/WD Blue M.2 SATA 500GB | Gigabyte Z370N-WIFI | Corsair SF600

While I've never used LM myself, it is possible it could seep out from under the IHS if you apply too much, then drip out onto other components. I'd think this would be even more of a concern if you're moving the PC around a lot.

I'd imagine that if you re-glued the IHS all the way around, you'd be able to protect yourself from any leakage. I've seen a fair amount of people suggesting RTV Silicone Sealant for this. https://amzn.to/2wXMQLk

I'd avoid using LM between the IHS and the cooler. Go with a good TIM instead for that. https://amzn.to/2Nu1gfK

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

7 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

While I've never used LM myself, it is possible it could seep out from under the IHS if you apply too much, then drip out onto other components. I'd think this would be even more of a concern if you're moving the PC around a lot.

I'd imagine that if you re-glued the IHS all the way around, you'd be able to protect yourself from any leakage. I've seen a fair amount of people suggesting RTV Silicone Sealant for this. https://amzn.to/2wXMQLk

I'd avoid using LM between the IHS and the cooler. Go with a good TIM instead for that. https://amzn.to/2Nu1gfK

I applied on the die itself with a thin layer, normal thermal paste on the heatsink. I did also apply the silicon all around the IHS and the die. What if it leaks around the CPU die and PCB itself? That's my main concern.

Intel i7 8700 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz | Node 202 | Cryorig C7 Cu | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB OC'ed | WD Black M.2 PCIE NVMe 500GB/WD Blue M.2 SATA 500GB | Gigabyte Z370N-WIFI | Corsair SF600

I guess it could leak if you move it around too much... As said before by @TheKDub, you could literally seal the area, but to be honest, I think I'd(personally) probably still not completely trust it... :o 

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

44 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

I guess it could leak if you move it around too much... As said before by @TheKDub, you could literally seal the area, but to be honest, I think I'd(personally) probably still not completely trust it... :o 

Could it short out my CPU if it leaks between IHS and the die?

23 minutes ago, YeuJin said:

Could it short out my CPU if it leaks between IHS and the die?

It's very unlikely, but there are some contacts on the top of the CPU and I'm not sure if they're used for anything, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

You could put a few layers of conformal coating down on the top of the PCB first, just to make sure nothing gets to them. (obviously don't put any on the die, that way you don't harm any thermal conductivity, but you can put it over the gold contacts.) https://amzn.to/2MXWx6k

(Pic is of an 8700K, couldn't find one of an 8700, but I'd assume they're about the same.)
Image result for delidded i7 8700k

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

31 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

It's very unlikely, but there are some contacts on the top of the CPU and I'm not sure if they're used for anything, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

You could put a few layers of conformal coating down on the top of the PCB first, just to make sure nothing gets to them. (obviously don't put any on the die, that way you don't harm any thermal conductivity, but you can put it over the gold contacts.) https://amzn.to/2MXWx6k

(Pic is of an 8700K, couldn't find one of an 8700, but I'd assume they're about the same.)
Image result for delidded i7 8700k

Thing is, I will never be able to delid again because I don't have the tools with me. But this is the best I can describe in an image of how much LM I actually used(A tiny circular round shape).sdafaf.jpg.4e75893568386560e249792c7b69c10d.jpg

10 minutes ago, YeuJin said:

Thing is, I will never be able to delid again because I don't have the tools with me. But this is the best I can describe in an image of how much LM I actually used(A tiny circular round shape).

Did you at least spread it to cover all of the die? lol

Jokes aside,

I'd at least put some conformal coating down on the PCB to make sure none of it gets damaged by any LM if it were to leak out.

You don't have to re-glue the IHS, but it'd definitely add an extra layer of protection. Just don't go overboard on the LM application.

Alternatively, you could get the tube of Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, then use that both between the die and IHS, and the IHS and the cooler.

Temperatures would be maybe 2-5c higher than compared to Conductonaut between the die and IHS, and Kryonaut between the IHS and cooler.

Then there's not really any risk of it leaking out, less frequent re-application needed, and it's non-electrically conductive, so even if it did squish out, it'd be very unlikely to kill anything.

i have LM in my HTPC and no silicon or adhesive holding the IHS on, i have moved this PC many times with no ill effects. 

that being said, frequent movement or extended vertical placement may effect it in some way, as it always sits horizontal. if you used conformal coating and silicon to reseal the cpu, i think you'll be fine

22 hours ago, Nexmo said:

i have LM in my HTPC and no silicon or adhesive holding the IHS on, i have moved this PC many times with no ill effects. 

that being said, frequent movement or extended vertical placement may effect it in some way, as it always sits horizontal. if you used conformal coating and silicon to reseal the cpu, i think you'll be fine

I guess you did a great job with applying LM, I'm just gonna use it the way it is and see if there are any side effect or worst case scenario shorting out the CPU. I didn't think of using a conformal coating. That being said, I will be going to Germany so the real test begins for my LM application.