Xeon VM Linux gaming

mr_tnctproo

Since gaming in a Xeon using MS OS,

What would it be like to game on a Xeon running Linux OS and gaming via VM ? 

Little bit of a long approach but limiting cores into VM and trying running VM in it or since Linux and Wendell proved that gaming on Linux is better these days, I don't why what this wouldn't work.

Now asking for a long shot favour.

Since I don't have a Xeon to test this theory, could someone with Intel Xeon processor could test it if they can??

P.S. sorry if it posted this in a wrong place, @Moderator please move it to the right category :)

I could theoretically test this, but the only Xeon in my possession is a 4 core/4 thread chip.

Just for clarification, you're talking about running Linux as the host OS and running a Windows 10 VM for games?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Whats special about a xeon here? It will work exactly the same as a i7 or i5 or ryzen.

I have passthough working on my system. Works fine.

What exactly do you want to know?

44 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Just for clarification, you're talking about running Linux as the host OS and running a Windows 10 VM for games?

Yes, Linux as host and win 7 for VM (I really don't like win10)

44 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Whats special about a xeon here? It will work exactly the same as a i7 or i5 or ryzen.

I have passthough working on my system. Works fine.

What exactly do you want to know?

The fact that Xeon not designed for gaming and due to the different core distribution you get lower fps and from what I been told more frequent game crashes (win10 host os).

What I want to know is, if I have Xeon (8 core +) running Linux as host, will I still be able to game on it occasionally (more frequent than I should) with it being stable with lower fps drop.

I'm planning on building a ws pc and casually "occasionally" game on it.

1 hour ago, mr_tnctproo said:

The fact that Xeon not designed for gaming and due to the different core distribution you get lower fps and from what I been told more frequent game crashes (win10 host os).

xeons really areant that different. there normally the same die as a consumer cpu wit6h just slightly different features.

What I want to know is, if I have Xeon (8 core +) running Linux as host, will I still be able to game on it occasionally (more frequent than I should) with it being stable with lower fps drop.

yep it will work fine. what xzeon

I'm planning on building a ws pc and casually "occasionally" game on it.

what programs a xeon is often a bad value .

7 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

xeons really areant that different. there normally the same die as a consumer cpu wit6h just slightly different features.

yep it will work fine. what xzeon

what programs a xeon is often a bad value .

It will mainly be VM for building and testing purposes as well as rendering using SV or someother video editing software not too sure yet.

I'm not sure yet what Xeon I'm thinking of getting as at this time I'm just trying to gather informations. I haven't looked into what xeons are available yet.

8 hours ago, mr_tnctproo said:

It will mainly be VM for building and testing purposes as well as rendering using SV or someother video editing software not too sure yet.

I'm not sure yet what Xeon I'm thinking of getting as at this time I'm just trying to gather informations. I haven't looked into what xeons are available yet.

have you looked at threadripper yet? Very good performance for the price, can beat most xeons, ecc support, and can do passthrough.