Finalizing my First PC Build

Hello again,

I've gotten a lot of help from the people over here and on reddit discussing my new PC build and I've spent today finalizing my build. So I've made two builds, a Ryzen one with help from an online friend and some redactors and an Intel one with help from an IRL friend who's using a Ryzen 1800x. I'd love some input from you all to help me decide.

Now I've been told that the soldering on the intel chips is bad leading to too much heating issues and an overpriced processor. On the other hand, the long supported motherboards, one of the selling points of Ryzen, is kinda moot for me since I plan on using the processor I pick for at least 4 years. 

I also have a question to preface this with. I was checking the QVL on the motherboard manufacturers to ensure the RAM worked with the motherboards and looking for Samsung B-Die along with ram that is on the QVL list of the AMD motherboard pushed up the price a lot. As a result, with everything but the processors, motherboards and ram being equal, the Intel build actually ended up a little cheaper than the AMD one (after mail-in-rebates). So I was wondering how important this is, since the x470 ram is really expensive? 

Also before I link the builds I'd like to state that for the near future I will be using this mostly for gaming and a small amount of streaming (maybe). But in the next year or so I expect to use it for 3D modeling (photogrammetry - modeling by stitching together TIFF images) and for some mapping softwares (Geographic Information Systems - geolocating data to create a map). So I will need a 2700x or an 8700k along with the 32 GB of RAM eventually. And I'd also like to make this last as long as I can.

The builds and prices excluding mail-in-rebates: Intel - $2561 and Ryzen - $2553 

I'm mostly concerned about how long the parts will last me, whether or not I can still use them after 4 years and if the heating issues on the Intel will cause me problems. According to someone who owns an 8700k, the you need to be lucky with an intel chip, to get a well made one (he actually recommended I take the Ryzen). On the other hand my IRL friend using an 1800x told me to get the Intel instead as it apparently is a massively more stable platform (His build, though he didn't recommend it to me. He's waiting for the next round of lithography changes to swap the motherboard and CPU and keep everything else). 

TL;DR - I can't pick between Intel - $2561 and Ryzen - $2553I was trying to ensure that the RAM I chose for both builds was listed on the motherboard manufacturer's QVL and this led to the Ryzen RAM being a lot more expensive as I was also told to grab Samsung B-Die for Ryzen. I'm probably not going to change too much about either build excluding the ram. 

Thank you for helping me out!

P.S. - The prices don't take into account Micro Center prices. They currently have a deal that gives me $30 off if I buy a motherboard and CPU from them and that + the discounts on the items themselves means I save around $100. And that's only 2 parts. I also really like the look of the HAVIT keyboard, though if someone has a better alternative around $80 I'd be interested in checking it out. This is going to be my first ever PC so I really want to get everything right and pick the best parts I can afford. 

First off your friend who is saying ryzen 2 is unstable compared to intel is pretty wrong. In Linus's just released video he also confirms the stability of ryzen, and I can also confirm personally from my first gen heavily overclocked ryzen (not ignoring the fact that issues have existed).

You seem to want to be doing photogrammetry - in my experience messing with it a bit, it certainly uses a lot of CPU time, something where the ryzen will excel over an 8700k. The 8700k will better for gaming, but not a massive difference. But due to your desire for productivity focus AND streaming, I strongly recommend ryzen - as areas that make ryzen stand out over intel would be exactly what you want to do, streaming and stuff like photogrammetry. I'd watch Linus's video from today, it will help you understand : 

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

You could even snag a discounted Ryzen 1 1700x or 1800x too. I think according to you it will also save you money on RAM, with a small performance decrease, while keeping all the traits that makes that 2700x a good choice, and having amazing price to performance. With the then decrease in CPU and RAM cost, it will be pretty damn hard for the 8700k to compete in price to performance (but again, the 8700k will outperform a bit in games; but don't forget it will suffer if you stream AND game on it!)

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

17 minutes ago, NoctusT said:

Budget is misused all over the place...You could get an X399 12 core system for that kind of budget.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

First off your friend who is saying ryzen 2 is unstable compared to intel is pretty wrong. In Linus's just released video he also confirms the stability of ryzen, and I can also confirm personally from my first gen heavily overclocked ryzen.

You seem to want to be doing photogrammetry - in my experience messing with it a bit, it certainly uses a lot of CPU time, something where the ryzen will excel over an 8700k. The 8700k will better for gaming, but not a massive difference. But due to your desire for productivity focus AND streaming, I strongly recommend ryzen - as areas that make ryzen stand out over intel would be exactly what you want to do, streaming and stuff like photogrammetry. I'd watch Linus's video from today, it will help you understand

Thanks for the quick response! So the thing is I was confused after I saw the video as he said "it depends." On his video I saw the Ryzen underperform the Intel on pretty much everything and with my friend telling me to go with Intel I was even more confused. 

But I was curious as his video didn't go over overclocking. I'm told the Intel overclocks to higher speeds but would you still pick a Ryzen over that? I was also wondering if you know whether or not web development would care about which CPU you're using? 
Cheers!

13 minutes ago, NoctusT said:

Hello again,

I've gotten a lot of help from the people over here and on reddit discussing my new PC build and I've spent today finalizing my build. So I've made two builds, a Ryzen one with help from an online friend and some redactors and an Intel one with help from an IRL friend who's using a Ryzen 1800x. I'd love some input from you all to help me decide.

Now I've been told that the soldering on the intel chips is bad leading to too much heating issues and an overpriced processor. On the other hand, the long supported motherboards, one of the selling points of Ryzen, is kinda moot for me since I plan on using the processor I pick for at least 4 years. 

I also have a question to preface this with. I was checking the QVL on the motherboard manufacturers to ensure the RAM worked with the motherboards and looking for Samsung B-Die along with ram that is on the QVL list of the AMD motherboard pushed up the price a lot. As a result, with everything but the processors, motherboards and ram being equal, the Intel build actually ended up a little cheaper than the AMD one (after mail-in-rebates). So I was wondering how important this is, since the x470 ram is really expensive? 

Also before I link the builds I'd like to state that for the near future I will be using this mostly for gaming and streaming. But in the next year or so I expect to use it for 3D modeling (photogrammetry - modeling by stitching together TIFF images) and for some mapping softwares (Geographic Information Systems - geolocating data to create a map). So I will need a 2700x or an 8700k along with the 32 GB of RAM eventually. And I'd also like to make this last as long as I can.

The builds and prices excluding mail-in-rebates: Intel - $2561 and Ryzen - $2553 

I'm mostly concerned about how long the parts will last me, whether or not I can still use them after 4 years and if the heating issues on the Intel will cause me problems. According to someone who owns an 8700k, the you need to be lucky with an intel chip, to get a well made one (he actually recommended I take the Ryzen). On the other hand my IRL friend using an 1800x told me to get the Intel instead as it apparently is a massively more stable platform (His build, though he didn't recommend it to me. He's waiting for the next round of lithography changes to swap the motherboard and CPU and keep everything else). 

TL;DR - I can't pick between Intel - $2561 and Ryzen - $2553I was trying to ensure that the RAM I chose for both builds was listed on the motherboard manufacturer's QVL and this led to the Ryzen RAM being a lot more expensive as I was also told to grab Samsung B-Die for Ryzen. I'm probably not going to change too much about either build excluding the ram. 

Thank you for helping me out!

P.S. - The prices don't take into account Micro Center prices. They currently have a deal that gives me $30 off if I buy a motherboard and CPU from them and that + the discounts on the items themselves means I save around $100. And that's only 2 parts. I also really like the look of the HAVIT keyboard, though if someone has a better alternative around $80 I'd be interested in checking it out. This is going to be my first ever PC so I really want to get everything right and pick the best parts I can afford. 

honestly it sounds like an impasse, no Ryzen is not nearly as unstable as people make it seem, and WTF luck for intel chips to be good? The silicone lottery which is the (luck) here accounts for a VERY small performance difference, honestly I have never heard anything about this from any current gen CPUs. Take the games you think you may like to play most and see which AMD or Intel performs better, I also recommend some people do this with Nvidia and AMD card when deciding. NOTE those qualified ram lists are less important than you think, and the gamin/streaming intel v AMD difference is there you just have to choose which to prioritize, though note AMD will probably perform better for productivity tasks too such as photo stitching and modeling.

Just now, Streetguru said:

You could get an X399 12 core system for that kind of budget.

I have no idea what that is mate. 

1 minute ago, NoctusT said:

But I was curious as his video didn't go over overclocking. I'm told the Intel overclocks to higher speeds but would you still pick a Ryzen over that? I was also wondering if you know whether or not web development would care about which CPU you're using? 
Cheers!

Intel should* overclock better, web dev doesnt matter much unless you dont know what you're doing

11 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

You could even snag a discounted Ryzen 1 1700x or 1800x too. I think according to you it will also save you money on RAM, with a small performance decrease, while keeping all the traits that makes that 2700x a good choice, and having amazing price to performance.

Thanks for the thought but I kinda want to stay away from older gen AMD chips. My friend does photogrammetry too and with his complaints about the 1800x I'd rather not chance it. I appreciate you trying to help me save money though

2 minutes ago, NoctusT said:

X399 is AMD, cpu he was prolly thinking is like Threadripper 1900X

5 minutes ago, NoctusT said:

Something like that. Better CPU for the budget, wouldn't worry about B-die if you aren't an extreme overclocker in any event.

also be sure to get an IPS display over a TN one, way more useful than G-sync for the money.

You can just buy this keyboard/mouse/audio combo kit
https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-Microphone-Redragon-Switches/dp/B06ZYH9WB5/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1525560837&sr=8-4&keywords=Redragon

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ptHWmq
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ptHWmq/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5GHz 12-Core Processor  ($499.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MA621P TR4 53.4 CFM CPU Cooler  ($67.22 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard  ($323.98 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: G.Skill - Sniper X 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($287.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB D5X Video Card  ($429.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($106.90 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: EVGA - 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Nixeus - NX-EDG27 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  ($432.08 @ Amazon)
Total: $2373.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-06 00:57 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, itisme911 said:

X399 is AMD, cpu he was prolly thinking is like Threadripper 1900X

Oh is that a higher end CPU? I was just looking at the current consumer CPUs on the higher end side rather than the extreme end of performance since I'm new to all of this. 

Just now, NoctusT said:

Oh is that a higher end CPU? I was just looking at the current consumer CPUs on the higher end side rather than the extreme end of performance since I'm new to all of this. 

What he is recommending is for slightly diff usecase but ok also here 

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/3937vs3958

2 minutes ago, itisme911 said:

What he is recommending is for slightly diff usecase but ok also here 

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/3937vs3958

That website is mostly useless for actually picking a system.

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Something like that. Better CPU for the budget, wouldn't worry about B-die if you aren't an extreme overclocker in any event.

also be sure to get an IPS display over a TN one, way more useful than G-sync for the money.

You can just buy this keyboard/mouse/audio combo kit
https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-Microphone-Redragon-Switches/dp/B06ZYH9WB5/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1525560837&sr=8-4&keywords=Redragon

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ptHWmq
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ptHWmq/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5GHz 12-Core Processor  ($499.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MA621P TR4 53.4 CFM CPU Cooler  ($67.22 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard  ($323.98 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: G.Skill - Sniper X 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($287.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB D5X Video Card  ($429.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($106.90 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: EVGA - 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Nixeus - NX-EDG27 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  ($432.08 @ Amazon)
Total: $2373.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-06 00:57 EDT-0400

That's a powerful CPU oof. I was thinking about putting a Noctua fan in and is there a reason you changed the case? or just personal preference? Thanks!

1 minute ago, NoctusT said:

That's a powerful CPU oof. I was thinking about putting a Noctua fan in and is there a reason you changed the case? or just personal preference? Thanks!

H500 just has some of the best in class airflow

the noctua single tower cooler is likely worse than coolermaster's dual tower cooler there.

Too bad the Silver Arrow TR4 isn't out yet.

For Threadripper you want a TR4 cooler that touches the entire IHS.

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, NoctusT said:

if 3d modelling is your focus, having more cores will help.

Workstation pc is no different than consumer, use similar parts, use similiar build steps.

The different is the parts quality.

Your amd build parts is mess up, why you have 2 ssd? no need, just 1 ssd enough, take the 500gb one preferably the M.2 variant.

No need for extra heatsink, the one that come with the cpu is already advance.

Step down the power supply to 500 watt, thats enough for 1 gpu system.

$50 fans? you must be joking. 

I agree with above comment, if you have that kinda money, you should invest in i9 or threadripper, loose all the gimmick you don't need like fancy fans or heatsink, focus on the performance first, any other thing can add later.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

9 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

if 3d modelling is your focus, having more cores will help.

Workstation pc is no different than consumer, use similar parts, use similiar build steps.

The different is the parts quality.

Your amd build parts is mess up, why you have 2 ssd? no need, just 1 ssd enough, take the 500gb one preferably the M.2 variant.

No need for extra heatsink, the one that come with the cpu is already advance.

Step down the power supply to 500 watt, thats enough for 1 gpu system.

$50 fans? you must be joking. 

I agree with above comment, if you have that kinda money, you should invest in i9 or threadripper, loose all the gimmick you don't need like fancy fans or heatsink, focus on the performance first, any other thing can add later.

I'm currently not doing photogrammetry professionally which is why I didn't want to focus on purely on performance, as it would inevitably drive the price up with the optimal CPU requirements for Agisoft (i9 overclocked is the industry standard). Again, this is my first ever PC so I have literally 0 knowledge about building one. 

Regarding the extra fans - everything I've read online indicates that good cooling is essential and CPU temperatures can get quite hot. And I'd rather not have my pc sound like a jet engine. It's why I tried to pick the best fans I could that were also quiet. From what I can tell, the stock fan is rather loud compared to a cryorig or Noctua alternative. The build for the PC itself is ~1900 with an additional $400 being added for the screen. I went a bit higher to get in the 32 GB ram. If the builds I posted are not "optimal" it's mainly because I've been trying to catch up to a lot of information in a very little time, so of course my budgeting is not going to be perfect. I have no idea exactly how hot the PC will get and photogrammetry, even on a non-professional level stresses the CPU a lot so I'd rather spend some extra money and be safe with the heating than have my PC develop problems 2 years later.

3 minutes ago, NoctusT said:

You might as well go X399 if you need to do workstation stuff.

A sort of "best value" system would top out around $1500 with like an R5 2600/R7 1700 + RX 580 8GB

Building a PC is easy in any event once you know what parts to go for.

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

You might as well go X399 if you need to do workstation stuff.

A sort of "best value" system would top out around $1500 with like an R5 2600/R7 1700 + RX 580 8GB

Building a PC is easy in any event once you know what parts to go for.

Thanks for the video and the help. I've saved the build you suggested and added in a windows USB key. Yeah the choosing of the parts is obviously the part im having the most problem with as there are just so many to choose from and triple that number of reviews and guides to PC building. So it's really great that there's so much help online, like this forum for instance, but it's quite overwhelming for a new builder. 

all programs are optimized for intel first, that's just the nature of it. as long as it can run on amd, you won't have a problem.

buying extra fans is a rookie mistake, don't you know that the case already have 2 large fans?

modern cpu is not that hot. extra fans / heatsink should come later after you address heating problems.

make sure that the intake air is equal to exhaust airflow, i think the case fans should be enough for that.

otherwise it would be just a waste of $50, you can have another hdd for that.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, NoctusT said:

Thanks for the video and the help. I've saved the build you suggested and added in a windows USB key. Yeah the choosing of the parts is obviously the part im having the most problem with as there are just so many to choose from and triple that number of reviews and guides to PC building. So it's really great that there's so much help online, like this forum for instance, but it's quite overwhelming for a new builder. 

You don't need a key to install windows 10, just use their media creation tool to make a bootable USB, works fine without a key aside from a small watermark.

best to not pay microsoft any money to spy on you and force updates on you.

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

all programs are optimized for intel first, that's just the nature of it. as long as it can run on amd, you won't have a problem.

Is there any modern program that doesn't run on AMD CPUs?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

You don't need a key to install windows 10, just use their media creation tool to make a bootable USB, works fine without a key aside from a small watermark.

best to not pay microsoft any money to spy on you and force updates on you.

Is there any modern program that doesn't run on AMD CPUs?

Agisoft runs fine on AMD and Intel - the only thing is that it heats up the system like a bitch even for the most basic of workloads since the end product, if done properly, is a very high quality 3D image of an object. That's why I wanted to play it super safe and get an additional case fan. 

4 minutes ago, NoctusT said:

Agisoft runs fine on AMD and Intel - the only thing is that it heats up the system like a bitch even for the most basic of workloads since the end product, if done properly, is a very high quality 3D image of an object. That's why I wanted to play it super safe and get an additional case fan. 

You don't need any extra case fans when you have 2 200mm fans for intake...

Make it a custom loop eventually if cooling is an issue.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, NoctusT said:

yes,no problem for your additional fans.

But don't you know the case already have 2 fans?

If i were you i would test the system first, see if i really need another fans.

Additional fans can be had later, there's no harm for doing that.