M.2 bluetooth card for pc

PowerChaos
Go to solution Solved by PowerChaos,

solved , i went for the ASUS PCE-AC55BT B1 as pce extention , so i can also upgrade the card if needed

Greets From PowerChaos

hey all

i got the following spects

Motherboard : Asus B250 Prime Plus

2X M.2 Slots ( unknown type , but nvme so i guess B+M ) 

other info is irrelevant :P

anyway

i am looking for a bluetooth sollution for my pc

i use wirless headphones and the lag it provide is bad ( up to 0.5 seconds behind )

i am now testing with a usb stick and the lag seems better ( 0.1 - 0.2 ) 

so i want to use a M.2 or PCI express slot for bluetooth

before i buy one , i need to know if it can even work/fit into my motherboard

i find differtend information back but they are all talking about B + M and those stuff

but nothing if they work or how they work

only the things they support

this is the card i found

Intel® Dual Band WLAN-AC 8265 M.2 wlan adapter

i also like to have BT 4.2 as my headphones also use BT 4.2

so the question in short

does it even work or fit ? 

or should i stick to usb as there is no alternative to use hardware instead ?

as i really do not like usb for things that need to be on it all the time ( as it use up a usb 3 port and all other ports are already taken )

also it is easyer to just put it in the pc and if i move that i do not lose it

i do not care if i lose a internal slot :D (my vid is taking 3 slots so my wlan card is in the second video card slot  instead pci1 slot xD )

edit

i went for the  ASUS PCE-AC55BT B1  so i can move it also when i get a other motherboard or when a newer m.2 card comes out ( its a adapter xD ) 

Greets From PowerChaos

Edited by PowerChaos
solved

If you see strange text like this

then you can be sure I use a mobile.

All info provided is to help you. I can not garantee That iT is 100% correct. Apply my solution at OWN risk. Just like overclocking has everything a risk

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

AFAIK Bluetooth adapters always use USB regardless of how they plug in.  The only real benefit of an M.2 card is if it comes with WiFi (the only ones I have seen do) it will use the same antennas so be a stronger signal.  Lag I wouldn't expect to be any different.

On the other hand, a USB card can be plugged in the front of your PC so have direct line of sight to your headphones.  That in itself could still result in better performance than a WiFi adapter with antennas on the back of your PC where the signal is obstructed by the PC case.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

so in short

it wont fix any latency if i use M.2 instead of usb ?

also the other small difference is the version of the BT

most usb BT i can get is BT 4.0

my headset support BT 4.2 

also extra wifi is not a problem , got now 2 wifi connections ( pci and usb ) and only 1 is enabled

but if that other wifi is better , then i can free up a slot and keep it as a backup in case my wifi breaks down :D 

also i was looking at PCI (ASUS PCE-AC55BT B1 ) but it seems it use a usb connector also

Greets From PowerChaos

Edited by PowerChaos
added a link to the product

All info provided is to help you. I can not garantee That iT is 100% correct. Apply my solution at OWN risk. Just like overclocking has everything a risk

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

solved , i went for the ASUS PCE-AC55BT B1 as pce extention , so i can also upgrade the card if needed

Greets From PowerChaos

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

Good choice.  I'd definitely suspect the PCIe is better for WiFi as the antennas are further apart and likely have more gain.

Do let us know if Bluetooth is any better too, its always useful to know when you are proven wrong.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

@Alex Atkin UK

The wifi is not really better compared to the AC68 that i got in there :P 

but it is not bad eather ( exept i get a link rate of 26mbps and AES protocol is a bit broken sometimes)

atleast compared to my Ralink and my AC68

so the chip it use is the intel dual link 8260 ( BT 4.2 )

not bad anyway

for the sound

it seems after updating the intel drivers that it is a bit better

sometimes it is out of sync but then it is back in sync (seems like a buffer or so ? )

i also noticed that i can not use my mic and sound at the same time with this card

with the BT usb ( BT 4.0 ) then i could use both , but then that lag problem ofcourse

in windows i needed to disable the Hand Free set ( it create 2 links , one is Hand Free and other is just sound , hand free is also the mic )

to get it to work lagfree

i just ordered the 9260, it got BT 5.0 and is newer

i probaly will get it in a week or 2 , then i can test also if it works

for me the best part is that i can upgrade it if needed , or replace it if needed for the same price as a usb stick

and so far i am aware there are no BT usb's that support 5.0 (even 4.2 is hard to find )

here is a overview of the difference 

and the reason i get the 9260 to test

https://ark.intel.com/compare/99445,86068

Greets From PowerChaos

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

I have the 7260 in my laptop and get a link rate of 866Mbit and real-world of 350Mbit (throttled by my WiFi Access Point I think), but I AM in the same room as the WiFi AP.

7 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I have the 7260 in my laptop and get a link rate of 866Mbit and real-world of 350Mbit (throttled by my WiFi Access Point I think), but I AM in the same room as the WiFi AP.

i connect to a hotspot

there are differend locations it could possible connected 

i live at the second floor , under me they both got internet of the same provider , so one of those hotspots is what my adapter use

also next to me they got the same provider , basicly i am surrounded by the same provider

so my connection is jumping betwean 144.4 and 13.2 connection rate

sometimes it connects and i can authenticate with AEP , other times it just does not connect or authenticate or provide a AIPA adress ( 169.x.x.x.)

so my situation is just complicated :P

with the AC68 i get a link rate of 1.3G

or 450 Mbit but my speed never exeed 20mbps ( limit of the hotspot xD ) 

on other side , for beein a BT and wifi card used in a laptop is it a great card ( 8260 ) 

BT works perfect (latest drivers atleast ) 

and Wifi works also good ( after a bit of tweaking ), atleast for a laptop wifi

and it cost the same to upgrade then the usb BT ( around 25€ ) 

it include a antenna that i can move ( only 2DB antenna's ) but i changed them already to my 8DB antenna's on the back (seems a bit more stable , now it get lowest at 56mbps link rate )

sidenote : Asus also got BeamForming , intel does not have that :P 

and compared to the 2 , i see a stable linkrate at my Asus , but not at the intell ^^

Greets from PowerChaos

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

• 3 weeks later...

@Alex Atkin UK

i just got my new ac9260 card and got it installed (for a few hours now )

now it seems that it syncs better sometimes , some kind of a buffering i guess ?

it does a better job with BT5.0 then BT 4.2 

on the AC8260 i was getting a delay all the time, 

on the AC9260 i get a delay when i first sync the headset , but after a min or so then the delay is gone

for the wifi , it is also more stable for the AC9260 at current moment ( link rate of 104mbps instead 26.4 mbps xD )

now i wonder about the Killer AC 1550 , it is based on the same intel chip ( AC 9260 ) but they claim to be better and contains beamforming (and more stuff that intel does not have )

as i can not find that card , i can sadly enough not test this out

even this card took me 2 weeks to get shipped to me and it was already hard to find xD

Greets From PowerChaos

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

Considering the number of reports of the Killer software making WiFi unreliable, I'm not sure how much you are really missing there. ;)