help picking out a CPU

so i am thinking about replacing my old computer because it is starting to show its age. (i7-4770k, gtx660, 8gb ddr3 ram) well, it has been showing its age for a while now.

this new computer will mostly be used for gaming. but i will be doing some 3d design on it (mostly using Sketchup or CAD), basic photoshop, and some audio and video editing. nothing professional, just for personal projects and hobbies. i do plan on recording my games for YouTube, so it must be able to handle that. but again, this is is just for fun, something to share with my friends and family. i do not plan on making any money off of it. (i have been uploading videos to private so far) i might in the future (and this is a small maybe, most likely i will use a separate computer for it.) use this computer as a local server for my family, and run security surveillance system through it.

i have a video card picked out (gtx 1080 ti) that i plan on getting used to save some money. (if this is a bad idea, let me know) , i plan on putting 32gb of ddr4 RAM, i will get an SSD m.2 of about 500gb (i am looking at one from WD right now) and a 2 TB HDD for mass storage. maybe a sata SSD instead of the HDD, but we will see.

i plan on using 3 monitors, the center one will be 2k at ~120 HZ ultra wide for gaming. the two on the side will just be plain old 1080p which i will use for my various computer hobbies. 

i also want to future proof the computer, so that i just have to make some upgrades to it later on, and not have to replace it any time soon.

yes, i plan on overclocking everything in the future, when it is needed. 

i also have a budget of $1800, but i am willing to go over if the performance gain is worth it. (although i will have to save up a little bit longer)

i also live in California.

so my question is.... 

i am looking at 3 different CPUs, i7-8086k, i7-7820x, and the i9-7940x (if i get the i9, i will go way over budget, but i am willing to do that if it is worth it) One other detail, i use cpubenchmark.net for my source. ( let me know if they are not a reliable source. )

it looks like to me that the 8086k is the best for gaming, with 6 cores (12 threads) @ 4.0 GHz and high single thread performance. I can also get it for ~$400 at best buy. but i am worried about future proofing it since it only has 6 cores. (which might be more than enough. IDK)

the 7820x has 8 cores @ 3.6 GHz. slower per thread so not as good for gaming as the 8086k, but still very good. the higher core count might (hopefully) futureproof it more, and help with my other hobbies. i can get this guy from Fry's electronics for ~$450. 

last one i was looking at is the i9-7940x. this guy has 14 cores @ 3.1GHz. according to my source, it is just as fast per core as the 7820x but has way more cores. but it cost ~$1150 at newegg. my main concern with the 7940x is that i will never need all those cores. most games use 4 cores in total. (if i remember correctly) will games in the future use more than 4 cores?

other CPUs i might have overlooked? (i am not getting a ryzen. not because i am team blue, i really do not care about that. but according to cpubenchmark, the ryzen is much slower per thread than intel. but again, let me know if i am wrong)

thank you

-Gary

sorry to tell you but the Ryzen 2700X is your best option according to what you're looking for..

since you're already thinking of getting the 7820X and 7940X that means you'll be okay with Ryzen's single core performance, because Ryzen is about the same as those 2 CPU's when it comes to single core.

but the good thing with the 2700X is the multicore performance and the much lower price, you won't get the single core performance of the 8086K obviously, but you get more multicore performance than the 8086K, overall i think it's very balanced.

also, a used GTX 1080 Ti is more than fine :) 

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

I second that. I'm not quoting Intel for...anyone right now, really. I don't have the kind of clients who would care about what Intel offers above AMD at the price point they're looking for.

The Ryzen 2700x is where it's at, unless you absolutely have to spend the extra money for single-core performance.

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

18 minutes ago, GarytheGeek said:

so i am thinking about replacing my old computer because it is starting to show its age. (i7-4770k, gtx660, 8gb ddr3 ram) well, it has been showing its age for a while now.

If you are planning to do cad work and some video editing and cad work but mainly gaming you can't go wrong with ether ryzen 2 or threadripper 2. The gpu selection is ok but going for intel's offering right now is setting money a blaze. Since you say you will be running at 2k (i don't know the exact resolution, please tell me) tasks will be mainly gpu bound for gaming, thus having a more expensive cpu is, unnecessary. I would personally go with either with ryzen 5 or 7 depending the amount of cad word and the complexity of the models, threadripper is really overkill unless you are creative professional.

5 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

since you're already thinking of getting the 7820X and 7940X that means you'll be okay with Ryzen's single core performance, because Ryzen is about the same as those 2 CPU's when it comes to single core.

but the good thing with the 2700X is the multicore performance and the much lower price, you won't get the single core performance of the 8086K obviously, but you get more multicore performance than the 8086K, overall i think it's very balanced.

i do not know a lot about the new 2700x, so i did not know about it's performance. good to know. and it is (much) cheaper. 

but according to this, it is not faster per core. (if it is accurate) but i have heard rumors that the Ryzens are more overclockable, so i might get some more performance from that. i will att the 2700x to my list.

Screenshot from 2018-09-03 18-56-37.png

Screenshot from 2018-09-03 18-56-53.png

7 minutes ago, nikolaizombie1 said:

If you are planning to do cad work and some video editing and cad work but mainly gaming you can't go wrong with ether ryzen 2 or threadripper 2. The gpu selection is ok but going for intel's offering right now is setting money a blaze. Since you say you will be running at 2k (i don't know the exact resolution, please tell me) tasks will be mainly gpu bound for gaming, thus having a more expensive cpu is, unnecessary. I would personally go with either with ryzen 5 or 7 depending the amount of cad word and the complexity of the models, threadripper is really overkill unless you are creative professional.

i do not have an exact resolution. i am thinking 1440p. either regular or ultra-wide versions of it, i have not picked out a monitor yet. 

but it looks like everyone is saying get a 2700x, so i guess that answers that.

The i7-8086K is just a binned i7-8700K. It should generally overclock a bit better, but an i7-8700K would be fine. For Photoshop and most CAD design work the higher clock speed and higher performance cores of the i7-8700K / i7-8086K make it a good choice. 

Ryzen is not a bad choice if there is a need to conserve budget. But for all but heavy cpu rendering jobs performance typically falls below Intel.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

2 minutes ago, GarytheGeek said:

i do not know a lot about the new 2700x, so i did not know about it's performance. good to know. and it is (much) cheaper. 

but according to this, it is not faster per core. (if it is accurate) but i have heard rumors that the Ryzens are more overclockable, so i might get some more performance from that. i will att the 2700x to my list.

In reality, those benchmarks are accurate, however, seeing that the the ryzen part is substantially not only cheaper but more power efficient and and generally a cooler part it is a no brainer in my book and for a simaler performing part makes the 7820 not even worth considering.

@GarytheGeek

beware... Ryzen doesn't overclock well, it maxes out at 4.3Ghz, that's as far as you can take it, also the 2700X is nearly clocked to the max, so overclocking it would be pointless.

and single core is actually very comparable ..
16091734952l.jpg.c601097fe7a177d37aa8536c3bbe14a4.jpguntitled-12.png.6b1357718de0d8b14c4f376840c756f8.png

obviously the 7820X can overclock much further though

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

3 minutes ago, GarytheGeek said:

i do not have an exact resolution. i am thinking 1440p. either regular or ultra-wide versions of it, i have not picked out a monitor yet. 

but it looks like everyone is saying get a 2700x, so i guess that answers that.

For professional would recommend either a 1440p 16:9 ips monitor. Nice pixel density and accurate colors

I wouldn't bother with the i7-8086k, i7-7820x, or i9-7940x. The i7-8086k is only marginally better than the fairly cheaper i7 8700k and you can achieve same or faster performance by overclocking. The other two are incredibly overpriced and thus poor in terms of value, plus their single-core performance is a bit weaker than the current 8th generation.

If you need to get every bit of single-core performance you can, I would go with the i7-8700k. If you could really use the additional cores and threads for the cost of only a small single-core performance loss, I would look into the Ryzen 7 2700X. If you need an absolutely insane number of cores and threads, check out Threadripper 2.

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x | COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 | MOBO: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio | STORAGE: 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX300 525gb, Seagate Barracuda Pro 4TB | CASE: Phanteks P400s TG White | PSU: Corsair HX750i

Laptop - Dell XPS 13 | Intel i7 7500u | Intel HD 620 Graphics | 8GB RAM | 256GB M.2 SSD

Peripherals - KEYBOARD: KBD67 Lite w/Gateron Milky Yellow Pros | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder V2 | AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 6XX, Truthear Hexa | MONITOR: Dual 1440p 27" MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD

1 minute ago, nikolaizombie1 said:

For professional would recommend either a 1440p 16:9 ips monitor. Nice pixel density and accurate colors

any you would recommend for me?

any you would recommend for me?

Here's a more budget orientated 1440p monitor that is good for anything except hyper competitive gaming like csgo since it's response time is 4ms. Here:

4 minutes ago, Shadow6767 said:

I wouldn't bother with the i7-8086k, i7-7820x, or i9-7940x. The i7-8086k is only marginally better than the fairly cheaper i7 8700k and you can achieve same or faster performance by overclocking. The other two are incredibly overpriced and thus poor in terms of value, plus their single-core performance is a bit weaker than the current 8th generation.

the 7820x is only $50 more than the 8700k, 

Just now, GarytheGeek said:

The 7820x is from an older generation of cpu, the only reason it looks better  it's the fact that it is from the more prosumer lineup of intel cpu's

9 minutes ago, nikolaizombie1 said:

Here's a more budget orientated 1440p monitor that is good for anything except hyper competitive gaming like csgo since it's response time is 4ms. Here:

i would prefer something a little smaller. with at least 100 Hz refresh rate for gaming. i live in an apartment and do not have a lot of room. i currently have two 21in 1080p from acer that i plan on moving over to the new build. and i have enough room for a 25 or so inch screen

On PCPartpicker, it is currently $110 USD more than the 8700k. If you found it somewhere for only $50 more, that's a bit more reasonable, but it is still a part of the previous generation lineup and for that, not really recommended. For 8 cores and 16 threads, I still think Ryzen 7 is your best bet. 

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x | COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 | MOBO: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio | STORAGE: 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX300 525gb, Seagate Barracuda Pro 4TB | CASE: Phanteks P400s TG White | PSU: Corsair HX750i

Laptop - Dell XPS 13 | Intel i7 7500u | Intel HD 620 Graphics | 8GB RAM | 256GB M.2 SSD

Peripherals - KEYBOARD: KBD67 Lite w/Gateron Milky Yellow Pros | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder V2 | AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 6XX, Truthear Hexa | MONITOR: Dual 1440p 27" MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD

18 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

@GarytheGeek

beware... Ryzen doesn't overclock well, it maxes out at 4.3Ghz, that's as far as you can take it, also the 2700X is nearly clocked to the max, so overclocking it would be pointless.

obviously the 7820X can overclock much further though

if ryzen does not over clock very well, i might stick with the 7820x

5 minutes ago, GarytheGeek said:

i would prefer something a little smaller. with at least 100 Hz refresh rate. for gaming i live in an apartment and do not have a lot of room. i currently have two 21in 1080p from acer that i plan on moving over to the new build. and i have enough room for a 25 or so inch screen

Sorry to burst your dreams but on newegg the smallest monitor is 27 inches and to have it above 100 hz is gonna cost you about halve of the price of the computer so yeah.

5 minutes ago, GarytheGeek said:

if ryzen does not over clock very well, i might stick with the 7820x

The 7820 is skylake, that's two generations behind. Ryzen 2 is brand new, for me it does not matter that it's a poor overclocker if my main purpose for the machine is gaming

5 minutes ago, nikolaizombie1 said:

Sorry to burst your dreams but on newegg the smallest monitor is 27 inches and to have it above 100 hz is gonna cost you about halve of the price of the computer so yeah.

what about this one from amazon, here? i do not care if it is from newegg or not. 

1 minute ago, GarytheGeek said:

what about this one from amazon, here? i do not care if it is from newegg or not. 

That monitor has a is only 60hz unlike the 100+ that you wanted. If you are satisfied with it, it's a good option

a lot of people have been telling me on the form that the 7th generation intel is too old and so should not be considered. can someone educate me on why age is important if the 7th gen i am considering has the same performance, if not better? (price set aside) i cannot find one good 8th gen i7 with 8 cores