What does X405uq-bm192t ssd uses?

jampog

Hi!

i just want to be sure what type of m.2 ssd is compatible to the laptop. Our local asus service center called and they told us they are not making that kind of m.2 ssd anymore so it will be a special order. The only information we got about it is the brand would be intel, it would be around 120 gig and it is sata. I find that hard to believe since the laptop is fairly new and we had a terrible experience with them. Ergo we need to double check everything they say even if their area manager spoke to one of the asus heads already. 

Closest info i can find about it on the net. 

https://www.yugatech.com/gadget-reviews/asus-vivobook-x405uq-review/#sthash.q1O9ntVA.dpbs

on the version they reviewed it was 512gb ssd - micron 1100 mtfddav512tbn

Closest info I can find about the ram being reviewed there on the net

https://www.cnet.com/products/micron-1100-solid-state-drive-512-gb-sata-6gb-s-mtfddav512tbn1ar1zabyy/specs/

according to that it is sata 3, m.2 280, is there really nobody making that already?  

Below I posted the back and front pic of the mobo as well as the laptop information below for your reference. 

Hopefully someone who has some contact in asus can ask this for us. This is my wife work laptop and her boss is helping her get upgrades since the laptop is terribly slow. I tried my best assisting her and researching about it but I think this is as far as I go. That is why I am seeking help from you guys :D

If you are curious about what happened why we don't belive them read on :)

I know i should check the manual and/or ask asus for these kind of questions which we did. There is no manual for the mobo anywhere-checked the box, asus site and the net. We called asus and they told us we need to use a 2.5 ssd. I also checked the website and it says sata 3 ssd. We called the asus service center in advance telling him the product and asking if m.2 and 2.5 was available. He told us it was. We went to the service center and they told us they need to replace the current hdd with a 2.4 one. I was confused cuz according to the website it was 2 hdd possible. I then asked him if i can check the mobo and asked him to flip it. Before i can say anything he mentions the m.2 slot underneath. Then he told me they have no stock of ssd in their store so i asked if they can check one of their branches nearby. He told me they checked and there is also none. We doubted him so we called instead and there was one. So we asked them to order it for us then deliver it the store we are in. He tried connecting it and says it wont appear on the pc. We left and ate after we came back he blamed us for ordering the m.2 for it was not compatible. It was wd black nvme. We spent at least six hours there waiting. We went there for a ssd and memory upgrade and only the memory was installed. Sadly we still need to go back for the ssd upgrade for nobody knows what is compatible. Only good thing that happened is the area manager was there, given his position, I think it should be safe but you never know. 

Edit: i made some changes after reading my post again. I think i was too emotional which in turn made my phrasing weird that even I could not understand my ideas. Hopefully this one is better :D We are still hoping someone would read this and has a contact with asus... otherwise we just need to blindly follow what they suggested :(

02ADFBA2-24D3-4567-BA4E-90F893D83E96.jpeg

54179FA2-A305-4552-8B6E-337D62E0BEA8.jpeg

2D2E0633-506F-4DAD-AA0D-1DEFCE45BD98.jpeg

Edited by jampog
i made some changes after reading my post again. I think i was too emotional which in turn made my phrasing weird that even I could not understand my ideas.

Hello jampog,

Please look at these samples for M.2 2280 drives, pay attention to the bevel:

• image.png.e33a23329cd9381f48b8eaa8b922c721.png

As you can see from this picture the form factor M.2 has been used with different types of key combinations that go from pin numbers 8–15 (Key A) to pin numbers 59–66 (Key M), more on that here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2#Form_factors_and_keying

I wanted to show you this because the picture of your motherboard seems to be Key M, and that one is usually used for drives with NVMe interface standard for PCIe drives or with the AHCI standard for SATA. The AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) was designed with hard drives in mind and generally speaking, NVMe drives are faster than AHCI drives. You will usually find the common SATA interface with the AHCI standard as mentioned before but there are also some slots that enable you to use the AHCI Standard or the NVME Standard. This doesn't seem to be your case for what you are telling us, if your slot was able to read NVME or SATA drives you shouldn't have any problem with any drive from any manufacturer. Your slot seems to be SATA only but if you want to keep on trying try to find the setting in BIOS to enable the AHCI mode and then try again the NVME drive, most likely you will still have problems so you will need to try with one SATA drive. So, to summarize everything what you need to do is to find one M.2 SATA drive with M key or with M+B key, but not one with B key only because it won't fit into that slot.

If you wondering if one drive with M+B key combination will fit the following may help you:

• One M+B slot can receive drives in the following form factor: M+B drives, M drives and B drives.
  • One M slot (like yours) can receive drives in the following form factor: M drives and M+B drives.
  • One B slot can receive drives in the following form factor: B drives and M+B drives.

*Eventhough one drive can fit in one slot doesn't necessarily mean that the drive is compatible, they also need to share the same interface and this seems to be the problem in your case, the laptop doesn't seem to be able to detect drives with NVMe interface, some laptops can do it and detect both NVME and SATA drives but yours doesn't seem to be able to. So your last chance is try with SATA M.2 drives, it doesn't matter if it is M+B SATA M.2 drive, it will fit in that slot and should theorically work.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Tyvm for the reply! I know you tried to explain everything in detail so i can understand it easilu but given my tech knowhow i need to reread it a couple of times before i understand it :)

i just want to reply first to thank you for answering :) i will get back to you when i understand it better and when my wife is done with her work so i can check the laptop ahci too. Thanks again!

No worries! Take your time and comment any question you may have, I come here everyday so I will definitely see it ;)

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

• 2 months later...

I really took my time sorry :D

not to make excuses... know the saying when it rains it pours...  aside from the crappy technicians... we fell for a not so good electrician again after witnessing our garage/shed burn down not more than 100 meters away from our home... so we just wanted to avoid dealing with crappy people again... 

would you mind just suggesting a m.2 for us? please :D

we got some relatives from canada that are going home for christmas so we might take advantage of the sale that will be coming this week... i might just install it myself cuz the next asus center is really far from here... hopefully my wife would agree :))

we are also looking for a decent router and dreaming of a laptop in case you know of any as well... happy holidays!

lastly I saw you are from seagate,  i wished you guys had m.2 then it will be an easy decision for me. i got a hard disk that got busted 2 months before the 5 year warranty expired and you guys replaced it. I even thought it was a scam initially cuz i did not even have a receipt :))  I lived in the Philippines you see so i didn't think that kind of service extend to us here and that was around 15 years ago. 

In any case, TY again!