Boot Menu

Go to solution Solved by Madgemade,

What happens if you select that option. Some BIOS do have a tendency to always show it even if windows is not installed. I think they are sometimes hard-coded to show that option because of some windows certification or something. I imagine if you select it you will get to grub as usual.

Dear Experts,

is it common that Boot Menu shows many options?

I have only one OS installed in my pc, it is Ubuntu & installed in UEFI mode, GPT.

ASUS H81T

6GB RAM

1TB HDD

for some reason i have to choose from Boot Menu, then it is confusing me, the boot menu with 4 options (please see the attached image)

is there a way to show only the options for example if it is dual boot, only those two OS's names. if it is single boot, only its name?

Boot Menu.jpeg

What you see here means that the EFI partition still contains data from previous operating systems installed on that HDD. I've had entries for Windows, Ubuntu and macOS in the list before. You can safely ignore all this. If you want to get rid of it, you'd have to completely wipe the partition table (note, this is not just a matter of formatting) and start fresh.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Thanks for your reply.

From your answer, i understood that, boot menu is holding all the previous bootable OS's.. Yes I have several times installed different OS's, dual booted but never wiped entire hard disk as I have main storage partitions.

Is it not possible by clearing some jumpers from the mobo or removing battery as my pc is easily accessible?? 

If you reset the BIOS memory then it should get rid of everything and you will then be able to boot by selecting the HDD itself and it will select the EFI files and thus the OS to boot from there. You should be able to remove the old entries by using a tool like Efibootmgr. I think similar programs might exist in windows. If not resetting the bios should clear the UEFI bootloader memory.

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

Thank you. I will try it and get back to you.

Hi.. I unplugged battery pin for 5minutes..it did not work. I cleared CLRTC jumper.. did not work. I will try to take backup of my data and then wipe partition table and see as per@NelizMastr

The boot entries must be stored in some sort of programmable ROM or most likely the EFI boot files are still on the EFI partition. I'm guessing you uninstalled windows but left the boot files over because you didn't know about them (not like it says anyway in the installer) .If so then wiping the drive and redoing it should work. I would be better to use a tool to remove the old entries by removing their files from the EFI partition. Formatting the whole disk is pretty radical.

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

I even formatted my entire 1tb HDD and the repartioned the disk and installed Ubuntu 18.04.1 in it. But still it shows the same.. I am wondering why it still shows windows boot manager in the boot menu options. I even removed two rams and installed after 5min but no change. I think it's controlled by Asus h81t mobo. I have checked it on Asus h61m-cs mobo also.. Same problem.. I will Check with asrock h110 stx mobo in a while and get back to you. Can you suggest app in Ubuntu 18.04.1 for efibootmanager?

54 minutes ago, PRATAP KUMAR PANABAKA said:

I even formatted my entire 1tb HDD

Do you have more than 1 HDD. The EFI partition is usually on the hard disk which first had an OS installed onto it. If you have an SSD with win 10 than that will be where the "windows boot manager" is coming from. It's normal to have duplicate entries like say:

• Windows Boot Manager
  • MYSSD1: Windows Boot Manager

This is how the BIOS works, they will always be duplicated. You can't remove one without removing the other and then you can't boot anymore.

Looking at your OP, it's possible to remove the ubuntu option if you don't want it, but there will always be two options for each OS. It's how the bios displays it nothing can be done about that.

It gives a list of all boot options, then lists them again showing which disk they are on. In your case 2 of the 4 are duplicates, it doesn't matter which one is selected they boot the exact same just have the disk in front or not.

Edited by Madgemade
spelling

I have this problem on 2 pcs.. 

Asus H81T and Asus H61M-CS

Both are single boots with Ubuntu 18.04.1 with single HDD's

I understand the concept of "duplicate entries for one OS" but I don't have windows in my both the systems and still they show "Windows Boot Manager" 

What happens if you select that option. Some BIOS do have a tendency to always show it even if windows is not installed. I think they are sometimes hard-coded to show that option because of some windows certification or something. I imagine if you select it you will get to grub as usual.

If I select windows boot manager, system is taking me to Ubuntu... How can we recommend manufacturers to avoid this (unwanted entries) in future? Thanks for you efforts to answer my question.

Edited by PRATAP KUMAR PANABAKA