Unable to boot/install Ubuntu Ryzen

Go to solution Solved by German_John,

Hey, I've solved the problem. How, I will never know. 

Anyway, this is what I did:

I created a Windows 10 medium and installed Win10. Then I downloaded Ubuntu 18.04 on that Windows install, plus Rufus. I then used a third stick (I'd used two before that both failed), this time USB 2.0, and there you go. Happily sitting here on my gnome desktop now! :) 

Thanks so much for your help!

Hello everyone,

so I've just finished building my first PC and wanted to install Ubuntu on it. I've ran into a few problems:

It won't properly boot from a bootable USB (we'll come back to that)

It won't boot off of an SSD that a laptop boots from no problem (Crucial MX or BX SATA SSD)

It won't install Lubuntu, which (strangely enough) DOES boot into the live USB

When I say it doesn't boot, I mean it ranges from just a black screen for ages to kernel panics. When installing Lubuntu, it told me that GRUB hadn't been installed and it won't boot, which is weird. 

I'm trying to install to an XPG nvme SSD - is that it?

Other specs:

Ryzen 5 1600

16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400MHz

MSI B350m Pro VHD motherboard

PowerColor RX 480 8GB

Thanks a lot!

I just installed it yesterday and I have the Ryzen 5 1600 too. It worked perfectly fine.
Which Ubuntu version do you want to install?

Just now, SirMorokei said:

I just installed it yesterday and I have the Ryzen 5 1600 too. It worked perfectly fine.
Which Ubuntu version do you want to install?

18.04 is the one that's not booting.

16.04 is the basis for the Lubuntu drive that's booting, but not installing to the SSD.

How did you make a bootable usb stick?

I used the tool Rufus maybe give it a try. Could be a problem with the copy process.

How did you make a bootable usb stick?

I used the tool Rufus maybe give it a try. Could be a problem with the copy process.

Universal USB Installer (aka pendrive linux), unetbootin and Rufus. None of them worked. The 16.04 install that did "work" was done with the first I believe.

I don't have any blank DVDs that I could try, unfortunately, I've had success with that where USB failed before.

I could also try downloading a new Ubuntu image. I know this one worked a while back, but you never know. Also trying Windows 10, though I'd much rather have Ubuntu on that drive.

Do you want to dual boot / do you already have a OS installed?

I want to install Ubuntu on this SSD and potentially get a separate drive for Windows. The drive has been completely wiped and repartitioned both manually and automatically when trying to install Lubuntu, which gave me an error about not being able to put grub on it. 

Thanks for you help, I'll sign off for today, been at this build for like eight hours. I'll be back tomorrow!

3 minutes ago, German_John said:

I want to install Ubuntu on this SSD and potentially get a separate drive for Windows. The drive has been completely wiped and repartitioned both manually and automatically when trying to install Lubuntu, which gave me an error about not being able to put grub on it. 

Thanks for you help, I'll sign off for today, been at this build for like eight hours. I'll be back tomorrow!

Have a good sleep / rest of the day.
Some people are saying that they just formatted the USB drive and re-downloaded the iso again.
And you should also check for bad blocks.

Hey, I've solved the problem. How, I will never know. 

Anyway, this is what I did:

I created a Windows 10 medium and installed Win10. Then I downloaded Ubuntu 18.04 on that Windows install, plus Rufus. I then used a third stick (I'd used two before that both failed), this time USB 2.0, and there you go. Happily sitting here on my gnome desktop now! :) 

Thanks so much for your help!