Pokemon question

I was digging around my house and found a relic of my past

Spoiler

20180829_183734.thumb.jpg.de0cc778a1b63836fcb1db876a9b2971.jpg20180829_183945.thumb.jpg.048f52901f0e1112b5b38777468d967c.jpg

A Game Boy Color. It's banged up but it's fully functional, its just missing a battery cover and the select and start buttons are torn off.

I wanted to fix it up and bring it to work so I could play it when I'm on the toilet or something so I thought why not get a Pokemon game. 

So my question is which Pokemon version should I get? Is there a difference between versions? Or does it even matter?

Forgive me because I have never played Pokemon. I was thinking of getting Pokemon Gold but then I saw Silver then Crystal.

Anything would help. 

Also any other Game Boy Color game suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

'IM THE VIDEO GAME BOY, IM THE ONE WHO WINS' - Arin Hanson

Well, it is mostly the same game.

The differences are the exclusive pokemon of each version. This is from the wikia (since i dont remember all of them)

Spoiler

image.png.40e38b08fc66ff28a981c2b84d238ea5.png

EDIT: Damn i forgot about Crystal.

In crystal (if im not in error) you can choose your genre, the battles have better animations and graphics, there are some new quests with a legendary pokemon.

And also you can get celebi, but i think that was region dependent so...

Keep in mind that gold/Silver/crystal cartridges may not be able to keep a save any longer. Something to look out for when buying old cartridges.

Cartridges have a small battery inside that help store save information, but in those versions it also runs an internal clock for the games day/night cycle. This causes the battery to drain faster and eventually it will no longer be able to hold a save. You will be able to play the game fine, but as soon as you save the game and switch the system off the save will be lost.

It's possible to replace the batteries and if you search online and YouTube you will likely find some guides.

If you haven't played any of the Pokemon games before, then go with red or blue.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

Keep in mind that gold/Silver/crystal cartridges may not be able to keep a save any longer. Something to look out for when buying old cartridges.

Cartridges have a small battery inside that help store save information, but in those versions it also runs an internal clock for the games day/night cycle. This causes the battery to drain faster and eventually it will no longer be able to hold a save. You will be able to play the game fine, but as soon as you save the game and switch the system off the save will be lost.

It's possible to replace the batteries and if you search online and YouTube you will likely find some guides.

If you haven't played any of the Pokemon games before, then go with red or blue.

This, also because G/S/C had a day/night and time cycle their batteries die sooner than Red/Blue despite R/B being older. 

4 hours ago, Arenero14 said:

And also you can get celebi, but i think that was region dependent so...

Event specific, long, long ago :P But you can get it in the emulated version on the DS that nintendo released for sale.

Just use an emulator 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

Just now, noobadin said:

Just use an emulator 

Don't even need to if he has a DS, you can buy it for the DS, analog buttons are so much more comfortable for it.