Host through a VPN connection?

Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,
29 minutes ago, Gleb K said:

I know but like my family won't understand. So there is no way to host through a VPN?

Why does it matter why they understand or not? They can't see if you modify port forwards. But no, the purpose of a VPN is to setup a connection between your own network and another network. In order for anything from the internet to connect to your service on your local network, you'll need to open ports that point there.

The only alternative to port forwarding is hosting it somewhere else, on a VPS for instance. It'll cost you, though, depending on what you want to do.

Hello,

I am going to start using Nextcloud and I want to be able to access it anywhere in the world. However I have heard that port forwarding is dangerous if I don't set up a firewall and as my family members do not understand this they would not allow me to port forward. Is there anyway I can host through a VPN so I get the IP of the VPN connection, or are there any special services like that?

i7 8700K CPU | Gigabyte 1080 TI Turbo Graphics Card | Asus Z370-A Motherboard | 2 x 16GB Vengeance LPX Memory |  Samsung 1TB 970 Pro SSD | WD Red 6TB & WD Green 3TB HDDs | Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev.2 Case | EK Monoblock + Bykski Graphics card Waterblocks EK 420 PE + 420 CE Radiators | 6 EK Furious Vardar EVO 140 BB Fans |  Enermax Neochanger 200ml Reservoir & pump

You can't point anything to your home network without forwarding. If you can access the router's web interface (and have the username/pw), you can forward ports without anyone knowing.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

You can't point anything to your home network without forwarding. If you can access the router's web interface (and have the username/pw), you can forward ports without anyone knowing.

I know but like my family won't understand. So there is no way to host through a VPN?

i7 8700K CPU | Gigabyte 1080 TI Turbo Graphics Card | Asus Z370-A Motherboard | 2 x 16GB Vengeance LPX Memory |  Samsung 1TB 970 Pro SSD | WD Red 6TB & WD Green 3TB HDDs | Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev.2 Case | EK Monoblock + Bykski Graphics card Waterblocks EK 420 PE + 420 CE Radiators | 6 EK Furious Vardar EVO 140 BB Fans |  Enermax Neochanger 200ml Reservoir & pump

29 minutes ago, Gleb K said:

Why does it matter why they understand or not? They can't see if you modify port forwards. But no, the purpose of a VPN is to setup a connection between your own network and another network. In order for anything from the internet to connect to your service on your local network, you'll need to open ports that point there.

The only alternative to port forwarding is hosting it somewhere else, on a VPS for instance. It'll cost you, though, depending on what you want to do.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

41 minutes ago, Gleb K said:

Hello,

I am going to start using Nextcloud and I want to be able to access it anywhere in the world. However I have heard that port forwarding is dangerous if I don't set up a firewall and as my family members do not understand this they would not allow me to port forward. Is there anyway I can host through a VPN so I get the IP of the VPN connection, or are there any special services like that?

i mean if you wanna pay monthly for a VPN it could work.. but you cant garantee the IP cant change.. there are risks to port fowarding but do it right and your fine.. you just need to know what to do

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!