Question about RAID

EternalRZ

The question I have is, what I should do for a system that I plan to build in terms of RAID?

The idea is to have the OS on a single SSD (C: drive), and then store games and personal files on an HDD (D: drive) and then put a second HDD in the system and set it up with the first HDD in RAID 1 to mirror the data. Would I see a noticeable impact in gaming performance if I set up the two HDD's in RAID 1? Are there any other more efficient ways to do this?

I figure worst case scenario, I'd just set the HDD to be backed up to my NAS periodically which would happen regardless if it was one HDD or two HDD in RAID1, but the reason I'm considering two HDDs in RAID 1 is because I'd like to not have any downtime in the meantime while I order and wait for shipping on a replacement drive or something. Plus there's the waiting on the files to transfer from my NAS if I was using one HDD and then had to replace it.

Thanks guys!

there will be no difference in read performance it might be slightly slower in writes

3 hours ago, EternalRZ said:

Would I see a noticeable impact in gaming performance if I set up the two HDD's in RAID 1

I have no idea tbh.

But it is possible to get a bit better performance, if the controller supports read balancing.

3 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

there will be no difference in read performance it might be slightly slower in writes

Not neccessarily true as there is something called read balancing that allows the controller to read from both drives at the same time.

So that is possible.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"