Can I Move my OS to a second drive while keeping all the data?

c00lFD

Added a second drive to my system (SSD). Want to move my Windows to it, but im worried about losing all my data on the original drive. Can i move the data to my ssd, delete it of the hard drive (for more storage 15gbs left) and keep the files on the hard drive accessible? 

1) unplug your HDD

2) install windows on your SSD https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

3) plug in your HDD and copy paste your documents and pictures and whatever

4) format the HDD

5) use the HDD as secondary drive, move your files back if you want.

You can skip steps 3-5 and just use your files on the HDD without formatting it but that's not recommended since you have a whole OS and programs and other crap cluttering the HDD.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

1) unplug your HDD

2) install windows on your SSD https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

3) plug in your HDD and copy paste your documents and pictures and whatever

4) format the HDD

5) use the HDD as secondary drive, move your files back if you want.

You can skip steps 3-5 and just use your files on the HDD without formatting it but that's not recommended since you have a whole OS and programs and other crap cluttering the HDD.

if I dont format my hard drive will there be any downsides? I dont want to redownload all my stuff

2 minutes ago, c00lFD said:

if I dont format my hard drive will there be any downsides? I dont want to redownload all my stuff

Other than there being a bunch of windows files taking up space, there may be issues with windows updates in the future as there will be windows system partitions on two drives instead of just one, but maybe it will work fine.

BTW after clean installing you still need to redownload all your programs.

The only stuff that doesn't need to be is documents and pictures and music and that sort of stuff.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Other than there being a bunch of windows files taking up space, there may be issues with windows updates in the future as there will be windows system partitions on two drives instead of just one, but maybe it will work fine.

BTW after clean installing you still need to redownload all your programs.

The only stuff that doesn't need to be is documents and pictures and music and that sort of stuff.

Alright thanks, I guess il just do that then. Ill download windows on to the ssd, copy all my files over and wipe the hard drive

1 minute ago, c00lFD said:

Alright thanks, I guess il just do that then. Ill download windows on to the ssd, copy all my files over and wipe the hard drive

Remember to boot into the SSD and not the HDD when you plug the HDD back in.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Remember to boot into the SSD and not the HDD when you plug the HDD back in.

do I have to unplug it? Cant i just choose the SSD when downloading windows

4 minutes ago, c00lFD said:

do I have to unplug it? Cant i just choose the SSD when downloading windows

No, it should be completely unplugged during installation.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

No, it should be completely unplugged during installation.

and then when I plug it back in everything will be there?

Just now, c00lFD said:

and then when I plug it back in everything will be there?

Yes.

You need to remove password on your HDD account first though otherwise you have to do a bunch of permission workarounds.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yes.

You need to remove password on your HDD account first though otherwise you have to do a bunch of permission workarounds.

how do i do that?

1 minute ago, c00lFD said:

how do i do that?

Just remove the password on your user account...in the windows settings...

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

Just remove the password on your user account...in the windows settings...

okay. Thank you so much!

41 minutes ago, c00lFD said:

okay. Thank you so much!

If you need more detailed help there are some guides on youtube on clean installing windows too.

Spoiler