How do I play 4K HDR content using a PC?

Chronic

A home theatre noob needs your help - I have bought a Panasonic FZ802 OLED 4K HDR TV. I have some blu ray remux files (50MB/s bitrate) that I want to play using my PC but the playback is horrible. The files play but my CPU spikes to 100% usage and stutters all over the place. But reading up on it it looks like my hardware might be too old? Or am I just bottlenecked?

Specs are:

Intel 3550k (3rd gen)

Nvidia GTX 970

Asus Z77 Motherboard

Connected to my TV using a HDMI 2.0b cable from my graphics card.

My questions are:

What is HDCP 2.2? 

What is Intel SGX?

Will the RTX 20 series of cards be able to play the files with my old CPU?

Or do I need a newer CPU and run off onboard graphics?

I never knew it was such a minefield! How did it get like this??

Thanks

You legitimately will need a new CPU and/or a new GPU; HEVC (I'm assuming they are, unless they're AVC or x264?) 4K HDR content is demanding as hell to play, and GPU-based encoding, either from an iGPU or a dedicated GPU that supports playback of it is really the only way to go.

The RTX cards (and the Pascal cards, as a matter of fact) do support those kinds of files, to the best of my knowledge.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

The files are HEVC yes. So do I have two options?

1. Buy a new RTX card

2. Buy a new motherboard and CPU (an upgrade is overdue anyway so this would be preferable)

I've read that the motherboard needs to have a HDMI 2.0 output for 4K HDR? I don't think there are many of those around though?

16 hours ago, Chronic said:

The files are HEVC yes. So do I have two options?

1. Buy a new RTX card

2. Buy a new motherboard and CPU (an upgrade is overdue anyway so this would be preferable)

I've read that the motherboard needs to have a HDMI 2.0 output for 4K HDR? I don't think there are many of those around though?

Either anything from Kaby Lake above or the Ryzen APUs support HDMI 2.0 or above and 4K HDR output.

Just look for what is best for you.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Either anything from Kaby Lake above or the Ryzen APUs support HDMI 2.0 or above and 4K HDR output.

Just look for what is best for you.

If I'm using a Kaby Lake iGPU for example, does the HDMI out on the motherboard need to be 2.0 for this use case? Because all the ones I look at are HDMI 1.4 which doesn't support full colour depth?

This whole thing got me messed up too. as im planning to myself a nice tv after not having any tv for the last 6 years or longer even i got no clue what it takes to enjoy all the new goodies on it.

hdcp 2.x whatever revision it takes - im guessing a very recent pascal card should support anything i need right?

hdmi 2.x whatever ..... - do i need special cables or is it just a protocol thing? im guessing the tv would have to support whatever revision is neccessary to play the resolution and hdr standard supported by it but what are the requirements for the card / cable / cpu?

hdr / hdr10 / dolby vision - what the heck would it actually take to get that from my pc to the tv? i know netflix &co. will do it nativly from the app on the tv but what if i want to do it from the pc. any codec / protocol stuff i need? will windows / netflix  recognize the hdr capabilities somehow?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Simple solution for that is to use lan connection instead of HDMI & all the problems will be gone. Make wire connection between your PC and TV, connect them in one network, then install Plex both in PC and TV and that's it.

If you insist to use your PC for watching 4K content, than you need better hardware. I have i7 3770k and GTX 1070. My PC can handle most 4k content without lag, but it will lag if I will try to play 4k HDR content with enormous bitrate like more than 100 000. For example 4k demo videos.