Optane on already excisting system?

AT0MAC
Go to solution Solved by TechyBen,
37 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

im not touching my nvme drive, its just for boot and programs, im only talking about either boosting my old spinning wd black or replacing it with a newer sata based ssd instead - difference in price is somewhere between double or triple the price, if i invest in the ssd instead of a 32-64gb optane

AFAIK your performance gain will be minimum as you already have an SSD.

If you want to game, go for a bigger SSD to add games to. If you want to benchmark/have specific server/encoding needs, an Optain *may* be faster.

PS, I just put small games (indie 2d etc) on spinning rust, and anything else on SSD. Else put rarely used games on rust, and common games on silicone. I Know Optain does this automagically... but really, why the price/storage limit when AMD (or $30 for software) will do it for free/$30 forever.

Optain is a server solution, it is a general computing solution that needs motherboard/DRAM/HDD controller integration. It's current system/setup is just pointless (like early SSDs that were smaller, slower and more expensive, more failure prone etc on release, but LATER became amazing tech).

8 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

I wonder if it can be done the opposite. Put the OS on the optain, and automatically backup to HDD (write to both drives, read from Optain). Does not increase storage, but would allow for automatic backups... Lol, it would be storage from the bottom up, instead of the top down. :P

It can be done yes, Optane eventhough has a different type of memory media (Based on 3D XPoint™ not NAND) and different algorithms it is still a hard drive. You can use it for storage and for booting up an operating system but that's not its use, so Intel won't provide you support under that configuration. That's why it can be used with StoreMI and PrimoCache because it works just like any other NVMe SSD.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

3 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

thats quite clever if it could do just that from a hardware level, with no performance hit to the actual system - how to tell Intel about this? this is for sure something people want!

They are aware but they just don't support it, see this under the FAQ's for Optane:

image.png.bba77046d86fa8d92eea9c94d2365ce2.png

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

23 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

They are aware but they just don't support it, see this under the FAQ's for Optane:

image.png.bba77046d86fa8d92eea9c94d2365ce2.png

yes i know, it was more the part of it copying to a hdd on a bit for bit level without the use of the OS but somehow build into the drive/bios on its own, a very easy to use highly reliable backup you set and forget untill the day its needed

My Gaming PC: 27833