Comparing Samsung SSDs

Inversion

I'm looking to upgrade the storage capacity for my boot drive (currently 120GB) and add some programs (and games) I use regularly to my fast SSD but I've realised I have an M.2 slot and I'd rather use my hard drive space for hard drives so I started looking at 250gb NVMe SSDs. I can't figure out the difference between the Samsung 960 and 970 EVO SSDs. Is the 970 worth the extra £10?

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

6 minutes ago, Inversion said:

I'm looking to upgrade the storage capacity for my boot drive (currently 120GB) and add some programs (and games) I use regularly to my fast SSD but I've realised I have an M.2 slot and I'd rather use my hard drive space for hard drives so I started looking at 250gb NVMe SSDs. I can't figure out the difference between the Samsung 960 and 970 EVO SSDs. Is the 970 worth the extra £10?

The 970 is just slightly faster. I'd probably say no its not worth it because you'll never notice the difference. But for such little price difference, it could be argued in facor of the "newer" card anyways (I know these are the 500GB options, but the same rules still apply)

image.png.4a1aa5ef4913f805a010ac83ba9816c5.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

The 970 is just slightly faster. I'd probably say no its not worth it because you'll never notice the difference. But for such little price difference, it could be argued in facor of the "newer" card anyways (I know these are the 500GB options, but the same rules still apply)

image.png.4a1aa5ef4913f805a010ac83ba9816c5.png

Yeah that seems negligible. My main writes to this drive will be from downloads so I don't really need the extra 500MBps. I'd rather save the money for the likely incoming price gouge on the Nvidia GTX/RTX 2060

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

Well, every variant has different write speed.
Which one are u looking to get?

250GB/500GB or the 1TB +++ ?

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

44 minutes ago, mikedrewsmy said:

Well, every variant has different write speed.
Which one are u looking to get?

250GB/500GB or the 1TB +++ ?

Said in the post 250GB

36 minutes ago, Inversion said:

Said in the post 250GB

Sorry. Missed that.

Comparing the specs here http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-970-Evo-NVMe-PCIe-M2-250GB-vs-Samsung-960-Evo-NVMe-PCIe-M2-250GB/m494033vsm200373 ;

seems like the write speed is almost the same, but the read is significantly faster so if you're using this for OS it's highly recommended. At only a  difference of a tenner i'd go for it.

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

Hello Inversion,

They both are NVME! You cannot get regretted booting your OS from any NVME drive, pickup the 960 and save some bucks. In the other hand the 970 has 5 years warranty as opposed to the 3 years of the 960, if that matters to you then the 970 is the one.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Umm WTH, 10 pounds is insignificant money. Get the 970 Evo as it comes with the more modern controller so better speeds and power management.

9 hours ago, thanos999 said:

heres a good guide on which nvme drive you need

Thanks, I'll check that out.

9 hours ago, Motifator said:

Umm WTH, 10 pounds is insignificant money. Get the 970 Evo as it comes with the more modern controller so better speeds and power management.

1. £10 isn't insignificant to everyone. Personally I'm a student so it's not insignificant. 2. I was pretty sure for the extra tenner it would probably be worth getting the 970 EVO but I wasn't sure.