Hey guys i'd like to learn how to overclock and oc'ing terms

Altruist

So i don't exspect to reply i just want to be overloaded with info to look over.

Just reply with overclocking tips, and definitons of common oc-ing terms

I may be wrong.

I don't have the time to do a guide for OCing personally (lunch hour at work) but I'll chime in with some terminology.

Most important terms to note are the following:

• Multiplier: CPU clock ratio that corresponds to your motherboard's base clock generator parameters. ie 100Mhz BCLK multiplied by 43 gives you 4300Mhz. Almost all overclocking procedures involve increasing this, which makes your CPU run more cycles in a given clock timeframe.
  • VCORE: The voltage your motherboard is actively feeding your CPU cores. There is an upper threshold limit for this, beyond which the risk for damage increases. This threshold varies from CPU model to CPU model and even between individual dies themselves. This is why running stability tests is critical for finding the limits for your own CPU.
  • VID: The voltage level that your CPU is requesting from the motherboard. This does not necessarily reflect the actual voltage that it is getting. VCORE determines that.
  • LLC: Load Line Calibration. A parameter present on AM4 motherboards and many Intel Z-series boards. LLC settings determine how much additional voltage should be given to the CPU in the event of voltage droops (many factors can cause this, including very heavy usage or unstable overclocks). Helps to stabilize heavier overclocks at the cost of a great deal of additional heat.
  • P-States: Power envelope parameters that are configured as "steps" for the CPU to ramp up clock speeds for various processing loads (light tasks or idling will have the CPU set to a lower P-state while heavy tasks will force a higher P-state). Setting these manually is considered to be more advanced than just manually setting general parameters such as multipliers and VCORE/VID as it requires editing hex values along with prior research into this subject for your particular CPU.
  • Intel System Agent voltage/SoC Voltage (for AMD): This parameter mainly controls the voltage at which the CPU's memory controller will operate. This doesn't have as much of an effect on CPU overclocking but it is crucial for ensuring RAM stability for your CPU overclock, especially if your RAM is also overclocked. 

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

There are several good written and video guides on basics. My own knowledge is based on written guide with mobo specific video guide to tune it more for current generations.

Few tips:

• Always do baseline test. For two reasons. To know your thermal limits. And to know how much your OCing has improved system.
  • When OCing, never take huge jumps or follow literally any guide. All hardware is different, acts different and can go different lengths. So small steps and constant testing. There's just too many times where someone comes to forum saying they have OC'd and now temps are high or system is crashing. When asked they have just pumped settings following some guide and not run any tests to see if system is stable.
    • Small steps is like 100Mhz or 1-2 multiplier for CPU, 50-100MHz for GPU. For voltage on CPU 0.01-5V (I haven't changed voltage on GPU).
  • The procedure to go with CPU is 1. Set voltages to manual. Intel default is 1.1V. 2. Set multiplier to +1 vs Turbo speed. For i7 8700K Turbo is 47 (base clock is 100Mhz). 3. Boot to Windows. Open your selected temp sensor and stress test. Run 10-15min quick test to see temps and/or stability. 5. If everything is ok, go back to BIOS and increase multiplier by 1. If it crashes, increase voltage by 0.05V. If temps go over your safe number (mine is 87C average), lower voltage and multiplier. 6. Boot to Windows and repeat testing. 7. Repeat 5 and 6 until you find spot where temps are fine and it doesn't crash within 15min testing. 8. Start real stability testing. Run several CPU heavy software for several hours, do some gaming etc. Watch for temps and crashing. Repeat tweaking if needed. 9. If all is well after testing, you can tweak voltage so that it won't be at set max all the time. The way to do this has changed, and is motherboard depending so better to look for guides for your mobo.
  • One thing to set from auto to something else is Load Line Calibration. This prevents voltage from changing while testing (referred as vdroop). You can watch OC3D overclocking guides if you want to hear more about that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv