Ipad backup not right/wrong size on disk

mr moose

I am trying to make a full backup of my sons air 2 before it dies completely (smashed screen and getting worse), the Ipad has 9.91GB of documents and data and 15.47GB of apps, after I run the manual backup in Itunes the file it saves on my PC is only 1.98GB. 

Is this right?  Does it compress the documents and data that well? or is it failing to back some of this stuff up?

I tried looking up the apple forums and official FAQ's etc,  but as per fucking usual,  my problem doesn't seem to exist for anyone else and apple support is as useful as a overdue bill when applying for a loan.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I have an air 2 also what I think it is, is that it just backing up the documents and like not the apps or whatever and you would just have to redownload them. But for the documents im not sure you could do an apple support messaging thing they seem to always solve the problem. 

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT203977

https://getsupport.apple.com/

While this method is exceptionally convenient, it doesn't perform a full backup. It backs up only what Apple deems the “most important data” on your iOS device: your camera roll, accounts, documents, and settings. You can manually perform an iCloudBackup from your iOS device or from within iTunes on your computer. (written by pcworld) Go to the website for more info! https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.pcworld.com/article/2154792/backups-via-icloud-or-itunes-the-crucial-differences-that-affect-your-data.amp.html

cheers guys

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, ehurleyrobert said:

While this method is exceptionally convenient, it doesn't perform a full backup. It backs up only what Apple deems the “most important data” on your iOS device: your camera roll, accounts, documents, and settings. You can manually perform an iCloudBackup from your iOS device or from within iTunes on your computer. (written by pcworld) Go to the website for more info! https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.pcworld.com/article/2154792/backups-via-icloud-or-itunes-the-crucial-differences-that-affect-your-data.amp.html

I followed those instructions,  the file (on PC) when backed up is only 2G, my documents alone are almost 10G.  Not sure how it can compress 10G into 2G.

2 minutes ago, ehurleyrobert said:

How many gigabytes of pictures does the device have? 

Pictures 52MB

Audio 15MB

Apps 15GB

Documents and data 9.98GB

and reporting 32.54GB free

EDIT: file saved when backed up is 2GB on disk.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Pictures 52MB

Audio 15MB

Apps 15GB

Documents and data 9.98GB

and reporting 32.54GB free

EDIT: file saved when backed up is 2GB on disk.

If you care about the pictures you could use google photos to simply put them on the cloud. They can be accessed at any time on your google account.

1 minute ago, ehurleyrobert said:

If you care about the pictures you could use google photos to simply put them on the cloud. They can be accessed at any time on your google account.

I have already backed up all the pictures to windows using the windows photo tool.  That was not a problem, I'm just concerned that something hasbn't been backed up properly as the size is too small.

I don't think apple classifies games as "important data" so it doesn't back them up on itunes. You could try that third party option. Also is there a way to see what is backed up on itunes?