PC crashing.

Mallowpuffs

I made a post a little while back. The consensus was, reinstall Windows. I got an SSD and reinstalled Windows. It worked for 2 days, now it's crashing again.

So it was crashing randomly, 2-10 times a day. Just a straight restart. Everything went black, 2 seconds later, the PC starts like it just restarted. No lag, no blue screen, just off then on.

Now, it will not let me turn on a game of Rainbow Six Siege. I cannot tell if it will crash not in a game, as it was random. It has only crashed in game now, but 4 times in a row.

I need this fixed in 4 days, or I will be living on campus with a 2nd gen i3 laptop as my only PC.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

It's not temps. They are monitored all the time.

It could be your ram ! Try to pul one out and see if it will fix the problem! Or if you have more then 2 ram sticks just one live on the motherboard!

You're referring to the alternative being a laptop, so I'm guessing the PC you are specifically referring to is a desktop?

There are a LOT of variables here... 

Power supply...

Loose power connection...

Exposed power wire causing power supply to short out... 

infected computer software... 

On and on... 

You have a fixed deadline before it has to work reliably. There is a time to take a computer in. You have reached that time... 

12 minutes ago, Leomodzz said:

It could be your ram ! Try to pul one out and see if it will fix the problem! Or if you have more then 2 ram sticks just one live on the motherboard!

I did try Memtest. I do not have an easy way, at all, to test stick by stick. But I will make it happen if it comes to it.

9 minutes ago, RickH said:

You're referring to the alternative being a laptop, so I'm guessing the PC you are specifically referring to is a desktop?

There are a LOT of variables here... 

Power supply...

Loose power connection...

Exposed power wire causing power supply to short out... 

infected computer software... 

On and on... 

You have a fixed deadline before it has to work reliably. There is a time to take a computer in. You have reached that time... 

The PC in question is a desktop that I built 3 years ago. i5 4460, GTX 960.

I don't believe it is infected software or a loose power connection. PSU is a possibility, but it is random. It, atleast before, did not seem to matter if it was under load. But I agree that there are near endless possibilities..

It could be a driver problem. It could be something as trivial as the CPU not totally being seated completely. 

Try pulling and reseating the RAM and all the installed cards on the MOBO. 3 years is enough time for dust/corrosion to do their work....

And time is ticking.... tick... tock... 

2 minutes ago, Mallowpuffs said:

But I agree that there are near endless possibilities..

You're running Windows off an SSD, so it's not a hard drive failure. So my guess is either the PSU is making the system freeze or the graphics card is crashing and thus freezing the system.

Maybe try running the PC through Intel integrated graphics. If it still crashes then we know it's not a graphics related issue and then it's probably a PSU issue.

6 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

You're running Windows off an SSD, so it's not a hard drive failure. So my guess is either the PSU is making the system freeze or the graphics card is crashing and thus freezing the system.

Maybe try running the PC through Intel integrated graphics. If it still crashes then we know it's not a graphics related issue and then it's probably a PSU issue.

I was thinking both, but somewhat leaning towards GPU. I will try using integrated on Rainbow Six Siege where it keeps crashing. I know it won't be playable but it will tell me if it's a GPU problem. PSU is the easiest, so let's hope that's what it is.

It's an XFX TS 550W. It's under warranty but XFX is useless and I can't even get ahold of them. But either way, I can get a used Seasonic or something for cheap.

Thanks for the info. I will test later this evening.

Power supplies are one thing it doesn't pay to go cheap on, in my experience... They have to work ALL the time and never deviate, even when the power is potentially unstable... 

4 minutes ago, RickH said:

Power supplies are one thing it doesn't pay to go cheap on, in my experience... They have to work ALL the time and never deviate, even when the power is potentially unstable... 

This was at the mid range EVGA/Seasonic price. At the time of purchase it was a very well respected unit by users and review sites. I did make sure to get something alright.

On the other hand, a friend of mine had an EVGA G2 and it died after a year and a half. So I guess all power supplie models have duds.

1 hour ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Would I just go into the BIOS and set it to run on the iGPU and then switch the HDMI from GPU to Motherboard?

15 minutes ago, Mallowpuffs said:

Would I just go into the BIOS and set it to run on the iGPU and then switch the HDMI from GPU to Motherboard?

For me I just plugged it into the motherboard and the display worked. You may have to manually turn it on in the BIOS initially though. See how you go. :)

2 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

For me I just plugged it into the motherboard and the display worked. You may have to manually turn it on in the BIOS initially though. See how you go. :)

It didn't crash with the integrated. I went to using my 960 again, but on lowest settings, and I've done 3 rounds without crashing. Will try again on Ultra, soon

13 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I wasn't able to test Siege last night due to loss of internet, but I did run tests. I ran both Prime95 and AIDA64 Extreme. I ran both for around 20 minutes. Temps climbed to around 62-63 on the CPU and GPU maximum. But no crashes.

I have no idea what's wrong..

EDIT: It crashes instantly on Furmark 1080, but runs 720 great. I googled that, 2 people said it happened to them the exact same way and it was the PSU. I am going to try a different PSU and test.