MacBook Pro 2012 i5 or i7

So I can get a MacBook Pro 2012 with an i5, 16gb ram, 500gb sad for £400 (also includes MS office and adobe cs6) or should I get the i7 version with 8gb ram and 500gb ssd for £500

Is this the retina version? If so, I would pick the i5 with 16GB since it’s soldered on the retina models. If this is the “classic one” keep in mind that the 16GB (2x8) will cost you ~100£. That means paying 200£ for a slight increase in performance.

1 minute ago, gd_solutions said:

Is this the retina version? If so, I would pick the i5 with 16GB since it’s soldered on the retina models. If this is the “classic one” keep in mind that the 16GB (2x8) will cost you ~100£. That means paying 200£ for a slight increase in performance.

No it’s not the retina one. So would you still go for the i5?

11 minutes ago, Jordyrock said:

Both the i5 and i7 are dual cores. Not big enough of a difference.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

8 minutes ago, Jordyrock said:

Yes. Unless you absolutely need the i7. However, if that’s the model with the 2.6ghz i7, there is a notable performance difference. 13 inch is dual core, 15 is quad.

F2E1A845-395C-43E5-BCCD-18801677A586.png

9 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Both the i5 and i7 are dual cores. Not big enough of a difference.

5 minutes ago, gd_solutions said:

Yes. Unless you absolutely need the i7. However, if that’s the model with the 2.6ghz i7, there is a notable performance difference. 13 inch is dual core, 15 is quad.

F2E1A845-395C-43E5-BCCD-18801677A586.png

Yeah it’s nust the 13inch one so they are both dual core and I’m going to be using it for school (nothing too major, probably light photoshop every so often). Would you say the i7 and then 8gb less of ram is not worth the £100 difference :))

14 minutes ago, Jordyrock said:

Yeah it’s nust the 13inch one so they are both dual core and I’m going to be using it for school (nothing too major, probably light photoshop every so often). Would you say the i7 and then 8gb less of ram is not worth the £100 difference :))

You're basically paying 150 quid for an i7 and get back another 50 for RAM. Bad deal.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

12 minutes ago, Jordyrock said:

Yeah, easy choice, go with the i5 with 16GB of RAM. If you are willing to get your hands a bit dirty, these machines really benefit from replacing the thermal paste. After 6 years, that crap that Apple puts in must be super dry. I did my 2011 15inch i7 a few weeks ago, 15c difference.

20 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

You're basically paying 150 quid for an i7 and get back another 50 for RAM. Bad deal.

I’ll go for the i5 then, thank you 

18 minutes ago, gd_solutions said:

Yeah, easy choice, go with the i5 with 16GB of RAM. If you are willing to get your hands a bit dirty, these machines really benefit from replacing the thermal paste. After 6 years, that crap that Apple puts in must be super dry. I did my 2011 15inch i7 a few weeks ago, 15c difference.

I’m going to go for the i5, thank you for the response and yeah I don’t mind getting my hands dirty in that instance as long as it’s no too hard to do