ad in cards and recommended programs

Chris_nz

Hi Everyone

as most of the posts ive read, im new to HTPC and will be building my first one shortly

ive built my own pcs etc,

but when it comes to HTPC i wish to knows a few things

Ill probably run an APU system and ive figured what Hardware components i need

i wish to record TV as well as Video Playback from stored media 

first thing: add in cards

i get i might need a tv tuner card of some type

can you guys recommend a particular brand/model? and the functionality i can get from it?

also the use of a remote would be nice, maybe the tv tuner will come with one?

after that im stumped, Graphics card maybe?

im not worried about pricing at the moment im just getting an idea what i should aim for in ad in cards

Next what programs you recommend?

ill probably use Win7 Media Centre, but is there any background recorders? or decoders? i may need?

Im new as to this so forgive me if it may sound confusing, also parts are Scarce in New Zealand 

Cheers 

Do you have cable service? If you do, check out: http://cetoncorp.com/

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

That InfiTV thing is awesome, would that work outside of america though? cause  we dont have netflix here, but i suppose i could use hotspot Shield xD

Nah I dont, We have a free service though, just Digital Tv pretty much

Like free to air, using an antenna? Also depending on your geographical location there are different signal standards:

ATSC  in USA, Canada, Mexico, South Korea.

DVB-T All of Europe and most of Asia, including Taiwan.

ISDB-T Japan and tentatively Brazil

^If I remember correctly.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

That InfiTV thing is awesome, would that work outside of america though? cause  we dont have netflix here, but i suppose i could use hotspot Shield xD

It most likely won't work outside the USA.

Like free to air, using an antenna? Also depending on your geographical location there are different signal standards:

ATSC  in USA, Canada, Mexico, South Korea.

DVB-T All of Europe and most of Asia, including Taiwan.

ISDB-T Japan and tentatively Brazil

^If I remember correctly.

Yea free to air using a Satellite or Antenna, curently using satilite as this home had one previously installed.

I think the signal standard here is DVB -T

but i could be wrong

Do you want to capture from component? HD or SD quality? Some cards only allow playback in Windows.

If you want to talk Software, use XBMC. It is linux based and has an awesome gui.

For the recording software just use MythTV.

Here is their wiki page on hardware: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Video_capture_card