Ditch my S8?

mbryant

So last year I broke and switched from Cricket to AT&T so I could get myself a flagship phone. My first Android phone was the Asus Zenfone 2. It was fine enough until about a year of owning it, the battery life was poor and they kept saying they would push Android 6.0 to it but they never did. So I switched and got myself an S8. It was kind of an impulse buy but I didn't want to go with LG or an iPhone (my last was the 5s). 

My first S8 broke in about 4 months. I had a good case on it and dropped it and the screen cracked. $100 later and AT&T shipped me a new one. 2 months later I dropped it AGAIN and now I have an ugly crack running along the side of the display and the YouTube layout is now burned into the display as a result of dropping it. Honestly day to day use is fine but I miss having a blemish free phone. In all the times I dropped my 5s with no case it never broke. However, I did know what to expect when getting a glass backed phone, but still the S8 is just so fragile. 

Options I've considered, pay the $100 and get a new S8 and a new case. Or do step one, then trade the new phone into AT&T and "upgrade" with "AT&T NEXT" and get an S8 active or something. OR just buy a new "budget" phone. I kind of considered the Essential Phone since it's $450 on Amazon but no headphone jack and no wireless charging and the notch are deal breakers. 

Any thoughts? Thanks! 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

Highly recommend you get an Active samsung variant if your just dropping it over and over. They are durable as fuck :P

That was what I was thinking about doing. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought an all glass phone. Then people say "oh put an otterbox on it" like okay dude, I didn't buy a slim phone to put a bulky case on it. 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

Just now, mbryant said:

That was what I was thinking about doing. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought an all glass phone. Then people say "oh put an otterbox on it" like okay dude, I didn't buy a slim phone to put a bulky case on it. 

I never used a case with my note 4 because i almost never drop my phone. But i have dropped it once, and it cracked the camera glass. $4 later and 5 minutes of work and i put a new camera glass on. You can get a thin case but strong for these all glass phones which is what ill probably end up doing. I hate them generally though :( But just have to find one i like. 

BTW my brother has broken 3 phones even with an otter box. If he wasnt in the PD i would get him a job at a testing facility for phones for durability testing cause he manages to go through a phone every 6 months

S8 is awesome but a bit delicate. Maybe get a super bulky case along the lines of a lifeproof? Also @Shimejii had an excellent suggestion.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

1 hour ago, Natsoup said:

S8 is awesome but a bit delicate. Maybe get a super bulky case along the lines of a lifeproof? Also @Shimejii had an excellent suggestion.

But the bulky case ruins the point of having a premium phone lol. I appreciate the input though!

I’d recommend something like the spigen slim armor, it’s kind of a middle of the road case between slim design and the protection of a more bulky case. It also has a kickstand on it which is nice, I used one with my s8 and had no issues