storage noob

Guest Brunozipt
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

I don't want to lose my data, that's why i want to raid

If you don't want to lose data, put Red drives in raid 1.

is it worth it to buy 2 black  blue hdd of 500gb and then do raid 1?

In what sense? I'd say no and just a 1TB+ HDD.

Quote me to get a reply!

If you plan to not back up your data as often or requires additional reliability.

In what sense? I'd say no and just a 1TB+ HDD.

If you really want to go for two 1TB RAID 1.

Quote me to get a reply!

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I don't plan to do this but if i put 2 hdd in raid 1 and 2sdd in raid 0 do i need a raid controller?

If you REALLY want to, then go for it. I have not had any of my drives fail, and all but one of my hard drives are from 2008 or older, and have been rock solid stable. The oldest drive is from '03 and has been running non-stop for the most part. If you're dead set on RAID, then I'd say go for it. Don't let up stop you, but IMO, it's not necessary.

Maybe you dont have enough drives then, dont use them much, or are just lucky. Drives do die theyre mechanical. I just had one die and my RAID card work me up quite abruptly with its alarm.

I don't plan to do this but if i put 2 hdd in raid 1 and 2sdd in raid 0 do i need a raid controller?

Most newer motherboards have onboard raid that's good enough to use for raid 1 and 0. There's little to no point to putting ssd's in raid 0 though.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Seven drives in my main system, 2 10K scsi drives in an IBM eServer from 2003, One 10k scsi in a Dell poweredge 2600 also from '03 , One in my imac, one in it's time machine external hard drive, one in my laptop, an ssd in my laptop, another in my desktop(other system), One in my iBook G3, one in my G4, one in My ThinkPad with windows 98 on it, one in my Dell Inspiron 9100, one in my 8600, two in my Dimension 9100, one in my Inspiron 5100.One in my Optiplex at my dad's house, another in my BTX Gateway. One in my Gateway 2000 with a Pentium 1 from 1995. Never had a failure. I would imagine that this is not normal. No we don't hardly ever throw away computers.

EDIT: Don't mean to throw my systems in your face or brag, just saying I put plenty in to service.

EDIT 2: However, My dad's iMac did undergo a drive failure about 2 months ago though. So did his external hard drive. Not for the same reason though.

That was quite hard to follow but it really depends on how much the drives are used and the conditions. I dont know how many drives are there total but I probably have that many between two of my systems or close...

Also there's these:

IMG_4312.jpg

IMG_4316.jpg

I have only had one of those die since they are rarely used but between the 10 HDDs (4 each + extra each) in the two arrays in my desktop and HTPC/Server I have had 6 fail.

That's interesting. I must just be lucky then. I know the ones in the laptops get the piss beast out of them though sense I am horrible to my laptops. I've had all of them some how get dropped of fall off a school table one time or another. What kind of case is that, the metal one with the numbered drives it it... It's quite nice looking... Happy new year by the way. It's finally 2014 here.

I dont know what to tell you really. The laptop should park the drives and the enterprise drives should last a bit longer.

I have a WD RE3 from like 2007 or 2008 that I still use to this day that has never failed and I have used it consistently. Usually for my RAID arrays i always keep an extra drive of the same model on hard to pop right ion a rebuild and for any drives once the go over their warranty I tend to watch them as they dont tend to last much longer.

yes the case is quite nice I would like to get all of my drives in one but it wasnt cheap so I only bought one. Once I get some more case Ill buy some more and get the rest of the drives in them for storage. its also antistatic which is the most important part.

Here it is INEO I-NC10 it seems to be out of stock on newegg. They also have a 2.5in HDD version and single drive carrying cases which might be nice here'