Mid Range Point and Shoot OR Low End Mirrorless

EJVC

Hi, I am looking to buy a relatively small and compact camera to travel around the $400 range . I have been looking into the Panasonic DC-ZS70 for $450, what looks to be a great little point and shoot. It has 20 MP, records 4K, and zooms quite far. I also saw the Sony A5100 kit, also for $450. It has 24MP, only 1080p video, and the 16-50mm kit lense doesn't zoom very far, but has superior picture quality. Those are my 2 best options so far, but I am open to stretching the budget for a Sony A6000 kit for $550 if it is really worth it. I am also open to any other suggestions around the $400 mark, not to exceed $500 unless really worth it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The Sony a6000 is defentivly better than the other options by a fair bit. Especially if you get a better lens for it down the road. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

http://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-interchangeable-lens-ilc-cameras/DMC-G7K.html#start=1&cgid=cameras

This is the camera I use and I absolutely love it. Granted it's only 16mp, but I've never had an issue with picture quality. Works well in low light and direct sun. 4k picture and 4k video at 30/24 fps. 

On 8/13/2018 at 11:47 PM, EJVC said:

Hi, I am looking to buy a relatively small and compact camera to travel around the $400 range . I have been looking into the Panasonic DC-ZS70 for $450, what looks to be a great little point and shoot.

If you want pocketable camera there's not much of choises other than fixed lens compacts.

But most of those use very small sensor, with too many microscopic pixels and lots of challenges in dynamic range and noise.

There are some which use more decent size sensor, but those tend to be costly, except for basic models.

And many of them are neither compact or light, in fact being bigger than system camera body and small lens. (as in weights toward 1kg/2lb)

Also that "Point&Shoot" can be translated as "Point&Pray":

Even the most basic exposure adjustment would need "button tap dance" which is clumsy and inefficient, making even trying it frustrating.

Of course if you're only interested on using everything automatic, then that isn't problem.

System cameras with interchangeable lenses use class bigger sensors with pixels actually having some quality.

And mostly offer more direct controls, if wanting to try something else than auto everything.

But bad news is that bigger sensors also need bigger optics.

Without sensor and optics designed as integrated package only few lenses could be considered as pocketable size.

Especially narrower field of view tele lenses grow fast out of pocket size and comfortable weight.

Also if you want single lens with more zoom range from wide angle to some kind tele that mostly isn't small or light.

While Sony has shrinked bodies to unergonomic sizes very few lenses are compact.

That A5100 doesn't even have anything but minimal controls, being more like overgrown lens cap with display.

A6000 is actually above Point&Shoots, though still has only one dial for changing expose settings.

And share's same challenges in very limited lens selection for more compact size, besides Sony not being interested on APS-C sensor format.

M4/3 of Olympus and Panasonic has better scaling for various size lenses for compact/reasonable light travel system.

And its selection of different lenses is way biggest of all mirrorless systems.

I'd look into fuji as well as sony, an xt10 or xe2s can probably be bought for close to that amount and the lens system for apsc glass is far superior. In general, if size is a concern, you won't be going for a FF upgrade any time soon, and the fuji system is better than the sony in that regard. They also have lenses that are actually pretty small for what they are. A 27mm f/2.8 for instance is a great way to have a very pocketable camera that performs really well in all regards. Even attahed to an xt2. So I think that would give you more space to grow afterwards if you end up going for a crop sensor system.

Sony just doesn't seem so invested in its crop sensor lineup as it should be.

A home run would be something like a used xt20 or xe3, probaly with the 15-45mm lens or the 16-50mm, or even an xt100. I think it'd be a much better package. ]

I'd also possibly look at the Canon m50, I dont know how availability looks in the used market or if you can possibly get a deal on it with the kit lens, but I think it is a great all rounder.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

I have a Fujifilm X-E2 with the 27mm f/2.8, I recommend something similar to this, get a used body (X-E2, X-T10) and the 27mm f/2.8 or 18mm f/2. With these lenses, you can fit it on your poket. Take in mind that older fujifilm cameras do not have much of a control on video. I don't know if this combination is what you want, no flexibility, for pocketable with flexibility you will need a fixed lens camera. Be free to ask any questions

Be free to ask any questions.