PLEX Server with Multiple GPU

Hey guy, I need opinions from persons who have a good Plex server configuration.

I am in the process of upgrading my Plex server from an old PC that I have due to limited space

and limitied transcode capability. I dont want to go too expensive on the parts because I have to 

buy some pretty big NAS drives for a raid configuarion that i am doing. For the hardware transcoding

I am thinking of using my old nvidia GPUs to do so. I have 8 x Gtx 460s that have 2GB GDDR3.

I know that Nvidia cards only support 2 transcoding per  card.My question is  would I be able to buy

a mining MB example (Biostar TB250-BTC+ 8 GPU SUPPORT LGA 1151 Core i7/i5/i3 LGA1151 Intel B250 DDR4)

and do the configuration to use hardware transcoding using all 8 cards?

I welcome any advice or reccomendations...

8 minutes ago, xiiijamaican said:

For the hardware transcoding I am thinking of using my old nvidia GPUs to do so. I have 8 x Gtx 460s that have 2GB GDDR3.

Those do not have H/W-encoder, no can do.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Plex can only reference a single card for hardware offloading (at the moment) so using 8x cards would be useless.  Also those cards don't have hardware support required for Plex, you would be better with something like a Quadro P2000 which has no 'software limit' emposed by Nvidia's drivers on the GTX cards, they can only run a maximum of 2 hardware accelerated threads..  The Quadro on the other hand can run unlimited.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

19 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

Plex can only reference a single card for hardware offloading (at the moment) so using 8x cards would be useless.  Also those cards don't have hardware support required for Plex, you would be better with something like a Quadro P2000 which has no 'software limit' emposed by Nvidia's drivers on the GTX cards, they can only run a maximum of 2 hardware accelerated threads..  The Quadro on the other hand can run unlimited.

Can the card work? - PNY Quadro P2000 VCQP2000-PB 5GB 160-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card OR HP 1ME41AT Nvidia Quadro P2000 - Graphics Card - Quadro P2000 - 5 Gb

1 hour ago, xiiijamaican said:

Can the card work? - PNY Quadro P2000 VCQP2000-PB 5GB 160-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card OR HP 1ME41AT Nvidia Quadro P2000 - Graphics Card - Quadro P2000 - 5 Gb

Technically they both should work but I have seen instances in the past were HP have firmware locked their cards so they can only be used inside HP server chassis.  I personally avoid HP branded equipment of late.

The PHY one should work;  PNY Quadro P2000

They aren't cheap however, example; https://www.amazon.co.uk/PNY-NVIDIA-Express-Professional-Graphic/dp/B06XB7PFLD

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

4 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

Technically they both should work but I have seen instances in the past were HP have firmware locked their cards so they can only be used inside HP server chassis.  I personally avoid HP branded equipment of late.

The PHY one should work;  PNY Quadro P2000

They aren't cheap however, example; https://www.amazon.co.uk/PNY-NVIDIA-Express-Professional-Graphic/dp/B06XB7PFLD

thank you

If you're going to use an intel chip, try just enabling hardware acceleration and let it use the onboard graphics and quick sync. It's been supported for transcoding since Sandy Bridge. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA